• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What's wrong with "normal" training?

Years
    I think EV training is completely unnecessary unless you're playing against someone who EV trains. Personally, I want nothing to do with battling someone who puts that much time and energy into preparing. It's just my opinion (so don't attack me for it), but I think "competitive battling" has gone a tad bit too far. I think it's more fun if you just focus on move strategy...

Every fandom wants to push their game to its absolute limit. It makes them much more entertaining this way. Go on YouTube and find videos of Pokemon battles. The more entertaining ones will likely feature those who EV train to optimize your aforementioned "move strategy" rather than those that just "attacking until my opponent goes down".

Not saying your opinion is wrong, I'm just vehemently defending my beliefs as well.

Calder

Gamertag: LycaNinja
    Years
    • Seen Apr 28, 2011
    I don't know how to do this type of training, and I don't want to learn (I use vitamins for stat raising,)

So...you do EV train lol Vitamins are a form of EV training even if its limited

Years
    • Age 35
    • Seen Apr 21, 2011
    I don't EV train, but I probably would if I had working WiFi. I don't think it's necessary for solo play, really.

pauldan00b

Veteran Breeder/Elite Trainer
    Years
    What EV training does is if you focus on EV training your Pokemon, you have a bettered control over its stat gain upon leveling up. For every 4 EVs you gain in one stat, that stat will get +1 when the Pokemon levels up. You can only gain a maximum of 255 EVs in any one stat, and a total of 512 EVs in combined all stats. So if you want to make your Ninjask faster than it already will be, which is fast to begin with, you simple train it against Pokemon that give out Speed EVs, like Electrode and Zubat. It's not really the "proper" way to raise a Pokemon, but it will help in the long run if you plan to play competitively against others. Because as someone said in an earlier post, Blissey has such a low attack stat it seems wasteful to let it gain attack EVs when it should be focusing on Sp.Atk or HP.

FalconsDrummer

Why yes, I have an Octillery.
    Years
    Every fandom wants to push their game to its absolute limit. It makes them much more entertaining this way. Go on YouTube and find videos of Pokemon battles. The more entertaining ones will likely feature those who EV train to optimize your aforementioned "move strategy" rather than those that just "attacking until my opponent goes down".

Not saying your opinion is wrong, I'm just vehemently defending my beliefs as well.

I take back what I said before, haha. I did some research on EV training after finding this thread and decided to actually try it just to see what happens. I don't really have a problem with EV training itself; I guess what I was trying to get at before was that it seems just a little unfair that in order to have any kind of chance in competitive battling, you almost have no choice but to EV train. But on the other hand, some of the people who enjoy competitive play the most are people who are willing to go that extra mile in the first place.

So, my final answer: there's nothing wrong with "normal" training if you're just looking to have fun playing Pokémon (and that's why we all play, for fun), but there's also nothing wrong with EV training if you don't mind making the extra effort.

(Although, as an afterthought, for EV trainers who want to have friendly battles with the occasional non-EV trainer, it might be a good idea to keep some "normally" trained Pokémon just in case. :D )

URKNightmare

Pallet Town Original
    Years
    Most of the people got it right in here but there is one thing that does make pokemon a different type of game then we have seen before. I too have been playing since Red and Blue and have been a loyal fan since. There is one thing that people do forgot, the pokemon series started as a child though young teen game. Since then it has grown to many different levels of a game. A lot people will laugh if you say you play pokemon, but they don't realize how in depth the game truly can be. One example of that is the IV's and EV training that a lot of people do. Now just like most are saying here if you want to play the game and just beat it, hey good on you and there is nothing wrong with that at all. On the other hand if you want a more in depth pokemon game and experience then yes EV training is the way you can go, it really brings you to a whole new level of the game. Most of the time when players go more into the game with EV training its because, well at least for me, I wasn't ready to put down the game and I just wanted more. I wanted to go online and battle other people and experience different types of pokemon. EV training allows players to customize there pokemon the way they want, they could make a fast jolton or a special attack jolton. When it comes down to it just depends how long you want to keep playing the game.

Years
    EV training also comes with a lot of strategy and such. Caus the trained skills must be in consideration with the moveset of the pokemon.
    And realy, as long as you outlevel the poké's ingame, there isn't much need for EV training. Though it might come more in handy when you start with the battle frontier (I think, don't know how it exactly works).
    I assure you, it's nigh-impossible to get a gold symbol anywhere in the frontier (that isn't named the Battle Factory) without EV training.

xxashxx

Gotta Catch Em All
    Years
    That's missing the point. The point is, if you want high stats, you'll have to put in a little effort to get it. If that means KOing 600 of the same Pokemon (in actuality, the most you need is 255), then you will KO 600 of the same Pokemon. Or else no high stat for you.

Oh ok. I get it now. You need to KO a certain number of Pokemon and be the same Pokemon every time. What if you KO a Pokemon which is worth say 2 or 3 points on that stat. Would it be a lessor amount of Pokemon to KO or would it be the same number?:)

Alternative

f i r e f l y .
    Years
    EV Training is only needed if you plan to play Pokemon Competitively.
    Some Pokemon will give more or less EVs, depending on what the Pokemon is within the evolutionary line. The easiest way to remember is this.

Bidoof = 1 HP EV
    Machop = 1 Attack EV
    Geodude = 1 Defense EV
    Gastly = 1 Sp. Attack EV
    Tentacool = 1 Sp. Defense EV
    Starly = 1 Speed EV

Remember this and you should be able to EV train effectively. There are items which help with EV training, but I won't go into that right now, unless someone wants me to.

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
    Years
    Well, I honestly EV train many Pokemon, even if I do not necessarily use them in battles. I want my Pokemon to reach their full potential. :)

This could cross over to the 2nd and 3rd generation games, so into General Gaming ye go. ^_^

Moved~

GlitchCity

GlitchxCity
    Years
    I really dont bother EV training, yes I win some and lose some in wifi battles because mose of my opponents team are ev-trained. I should probably start ev training and see how it works out for me

Medli

I am Error.
    Years
    • Seen Mar 28, 2010
    I guess there's nothing wrong with either way of training. It just depends on opinion.

Like, I'm fine with competitive battling. Yeah, I think it's a little over the top, but that's because I play Pokemon for different reasons. I play for the nostalgia and for the fun of challenge (and not the challenge of just "predict the next opponents move, send in appropriate counter, sacrifice this for death fodder because it's now useless, etc). That doesn't sound as fun for me, so I just don't deal with it. Simple. "Normal" training is fine for ingame, and it makes the game more challenging than EV training, so that's what I do.

Back