• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen What's wrong with the 3rd gen?

Amarantine

The psychic baritone ♠
Years
  • Personally i don't have something against 3 gen...but i don't like it either.

It's not like it's bad. It's just that for me it's just not as interesting as Silver/Crystal. It's not that i'm agaisnt new things, some 3d generation pokemon were really cool (Like Blaziken or some others), and the graphics were new, but that's it. I would much rather make a game by myself exactly like Silver or Crystal, but with the new pokémon. The one i can't freaking stand is Diamond/Pearl. most of those pokemon looked like they were made out of pure boredom.

Myles

Seriously?
    Years
  • ...including?

The main ones are "The plot was lame (usually because there's no inventive use of TEAM ROCKET)", "THE WATER", "Friendly rival", etc. which are all changes on "basics". =|

The ones that aren't are purely subjective; "The Pokemon suck!", "The music was crap!", "The graphics were horrible!"

There is one I do agree with though is that they should have kept Day/Night. Time was kept, but it could have been used so much better. Still, that's no reason for hating on a game.

It's not about what the complant is. But how thoroughly explained their reasons for disliking it are. A statement like 'The Pokemon are uncreative.' isn't very well explained and probably nostalgia-based, but if someone explains why they don't like Magma/Aqua rather than just saying 'they suck', then it's a valid complant.

How much you agree with it doesn't decide whether it's nostalgia-based.

Eggie Poo Poo

OM NOM NOM NOM NOM NOM NOM NOM
    Years
  • ...including?

The main ones are "The plot was lame (usually because there's no inventive use of TEAM ROCKET)", "THE WATER", "Friendly rival", etc. which are all changes on "basics". =|

The ones that aren't are purely subjective; "The Pokemon suck!", "The music was crap!", "The graphics were horrible!"

There is one I do agree with though is that they should have kept Day/Night. Time was kept, but it could have been used so much better. Still, that's no reason for hating on a game.

I don't hate the plot because there's no Team Rocket, hell there's no Team Rocket in Sinnoh, but it still had a cool plot. I hate RSE's plot because it's just run doing errands for people in the first 3/4 of the game, and the errands are not meaningful at all just boring and plain, where as in GSC going to the Radio Tower and defeating all the Rockets had a purpose because you had to save Goldenrod and possibly the whole Johto region.

Again, I don't hate water =[. I just find the visual style that Pokemon has taken (the grass) looks too fake and not as mellow olive greenish like GSC did.

The Pokemon suck in my opinion cause they have no relevance to the 1-251, no evolution chains or any interesting new Pokemon, you can tell they just made them for some extra money to keep Pokemon going, 2nd gen actually looked like they had their heart in it.

Well a friendly rival doesn't make sense to me, cause I think the rival should be a total a**hole to the player, just for that feeling of when you finally beat him/her in a battle you feel really good that you just pwned this bully.

Teh Blazer

Divider of Zero
    Years
  • I like it, but the tiles could use a bit of work. It looks nice (the trees look horrible!) but i think the remakes of Gen I had better tiles.

ShadowSalamence

Fan of the Dragon Pokemon
    Years
  • Hoenn is one of my favorite regions.
    However, the plot is poor and there's almost nothing new you can do after the Elite Four. Also, the sea routes are really annoying.

Years
    • Seen Mar 22, 2010
    Uh, Battle Tower/Frontier, anyone?

There wasn't anything to do in RBY, either. =|

You can forgive RBY a bit seeing as how they were the first in the series. Besides, at least it left you with a dungeon full of level 60+ Raichus and Chanceys and Rhydons to play around with.

A big problem I had with Ruby & Sapphire is that there was no good place to level grind after you had beat the elite four. You could challenge the elite four again, but their levels were lower in this game than in previous ones, thus slowing down your progress. The Sky Tower didn't have anything with a high enough level or xp reward to write home about.

The biggest waste of time though, was the battle tower. Yes you could get a few semi-decent items, but why on earth can't you gain XP from the fights? Grinding up to level 100 could have been a fun task: you'd get to fight a variety of trainers instead of the same four trainers with their monotype shooting gallery teams over and over again.

PiPVoda

water, Forever
    Years
    • He / Him
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 2, 2022
    The Pokemon suck in my opinion cause they have no relevance to the 1-251, no evolution chains or any interesting new Pokemon, you can tell they just made them for some extra money to keep Pokemon going, 2nd gen actually looked like they had their heart in it.QUOTE]

It was a new generation, so it would make sense that it had no relevance to the past ones considering it was new and in an entirely new region!!! I said new a lot huh? Well anyways, really? There were no interesting pokemon, excluding the starters? torkoal, wailmer, wailord, flygon, gardevoir, ludicolo (a little cheesy but he's awesome), slaking, the legendaries, agron, salamence, glalie, claydol, etc...there are plenty of pokemon in gen 3 that are awesome, and some even better than previously made 251. Hoenn has its fair share of crappy pokemon but so does the other Johto and Kanto. Yet for some reason Kanto and Johto are simply amazing and god-dyfing which means there were no problems with it..

and to the people complaining about the trees, seriously? The game was meant to be made to impress you on how the trees look. I personally don't give a [censored] how the trees looked because that is not the reason I played the game in the first place. And even if the trees looked horrible, the graphics were much better than they were in RBY & GSC

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Years
  • The biggest waste of time though, was the battle tower. Yes you could get a few semi-decent items, but why on earth can't you gain XP from the fights? Grinding up to level 100 could have been a fun task: you'd get to fight a variety of trainers instead of the same four trainers with their monotype shooting gallery teams over and over again.

The same reason you don't get EXP from cable battles or over Wifi.

Porygon-Z

Silph Agent
    Years
    • Seen Aug 17, 2010
    I'm pretty sure this is allowed...

So like the title says, what's so bad about hoenn? Personally, it's my fav. region. It seems that a lot of people hate it though. Is it all the water routes? Too different? (the jhoto region had kanto pokemon and team rocket- the hoenn didn't seem to have as many kanto or jhoto pokemon and team rocket was replaced)
    Didn't like the pokemon?

I don't like all the endless water!! It drove me mad and I never want to have to play the hoenn region again!! It was horrible! You could never tell where abouts in the stupid ocean you were!! I got lost soooo much!!

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Years
  • I don't like all the endless water!! It drove me mad and I never want to have to play the hoenn region again!! It was horrible! You could never tell where abouts in the stupid ocean you were!! I got lost soooo much!!

I don't like all the endless Rock Tunnel!! It drove me mad and I never want to have to play the Kanto region again!! It was horrible! You could never tell where abouts in the stupid cave you were!! I got lost soooo much!!

Sorry, had to do it.

The ocean has borders, you know. There's also something called a "world map" that you can use to tell which direction you want to go in, then just go that direction. Lemme tell ya, it's easier to get lost in Viridian Forest.

VinceLevi

Do A Barrel Roll!
    Years
    • Seen May 17, 2015
    It's because you can't stand directly in the middle of the Pokemon centers to save : D

Seriously though, I liked the 3rd Gen. The pokemon were pretty cool, leveling was decent in trainers, which is a big deal for me.. There were some glaring flaws though..
    The game was terribly slow to begin... It took forever to get strong Pokemon if you were trying to train them from a low level.. Animation on Emerald WAS horrible.. I dropped my Grovyle for the sole reason that I hated his backsprite.. I don't consider myself nostalgic, but I liked Silver version better anyway..
    Good news, third gen was WAYYY better than D/P/Pt.

Years
  • I actually really enjoyed the third gen. Sapphire was a really fun game to play. Easy to train, and overall just a fun game. Now, yes the whole water being the main navigation was alright, but for grass pkmn it was good training... like I've said above. Or, this could be because this was the first pokemon game I really looked at and tried to get everything. All the legendaries, the items, pokemon etc etc. I just really enjoyed it.

RTHookers

Banned
    Years
  • Kris wasn't the main character.
    No, kiddin'.

Anyway, I liked the 3rd gen. Especially LeafGreen.

GlitchCity

GlitchxCity
    Years
  • Animation on Emerald WAS horrible.
    are you forgetting that emerald was the only pokemon game that was meant for the GBA with sprite animations? Ever thought of it as "testing" out something? The reason why the animation was so bland because it was a GBA game that was meant to be played on the gameboy advance, not a GBC one. It was just like how DPPt had the amity park thing with your pokemon following you, they were trying to see if we like that feature [which they used in HG/SS]

GodofPH

Submarket Zydrate Dealer
    Years
  • My issue with Hoenn was how it was such a departure from the Pure Win that was Gold/Silver/Crystal. Several of the advances that had been made with GSC mysteriously vanished on the trip to Hoenn (Day/Night cycle for one), plus the game seemed to be trying overly hard at being a 'new beginning' for Pokemon, instead of building on games past like GSC had been.

So I think I didn't like it because it wasn't GSC. :P

That being said, I will say I liked many of the Pokemon designs from RSE (Metagross and Blaziken are some of my all-time favorites), and as for the region itself, I liked how unique Hoenn was compared to the other regions. I also didn't mind the Team Aqua/Magma plot.

GlitchCity

GlitchxCity
    Years
  • My issue with Hoenn was how it was such a departure from the Pure Win that was Gold/Silver/Crystal.
    I dont think it was trying to be like GSC at all. Why do you think it was a reboot? Because it was time for one. And Im glad that it strayed away from GSC because I dont want the same thing over and over agian.

-new handheld
    -new region
    -new adventure

like I said, it wasnt meant to be tied into GSC

VinceLevi

Do A Barrel Roll!
    Years
    • Seen May 17, 2015
    are you forgetting that emerald was the only pokemon game that was meant for the GBA with sprite animations? Ever thought of it as "testing" out something? The reason why the animation was so bland because it was a GBA game that was meant to be played on the gameboy advance, not a GBC one. It was just like how DPPt had the amity park thing with your pokemon following you, they were trying to see if we like that feature [which they used in HG/SS]

Hello again Glitch City.
    I was talking about straight up sprites...
    They were bad.
    "I dropped my Grovyle for the sole reason that I hated his backsprite."
    See?

GodofPH

Submarket Zydrate Dealer
    Years
  • I dont think it was trying to be like GSC at all. Why do you think it was a reboot? Because it was time for one. And Im glad that it strayed away from GSC because I dont want the same thing over and over agian.

-new handheld
    -new region
    -new adventure

like I said, it wasnt meant to be tied into GSC

A reboot is all fine and dandy, but at the same time it was still the next installment of the main series, and I would expect things to move forward, not backwards.

Back