• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen What's wrong with the 3rd gen?

Years
    • Seen Mar 22, 2010
    The same reason you don't get EXP from cable battles or over Wifi.

Which is?

In all seriousness, this question has always bugged me. Why can't you get EXP from these kinds of battles? You'd think if anything, since pokémon is supposed to be all about playing with friends, battling and trading, that Nintendo would give an EXP bonus for all this social interaction.

You could make the argument that there may be some kind of problem with calculating EXP from another machine (unlikely) or that your friend could just let you win (which is valid sparring in my opinion). But neither of these arguments hold up for the battle tower, seeing as how it's entirely in game and the opponents are computer controlled.

Eggie Poo Poo

OM NOM NOM NOM NOM NOM NOM NOM
    Years
  • The Pokemon suck in my opinion cause they have no relevance to the 1-251, no evolution chains or any interesting new Pokemon, you can tell they just made them for some extra money to keep Pokemon going, 2nd gen actually looked like they had their heart in it.QUOTE]

It was a new generation, so it would make sense that it had no relevance to the past ones considering it was new and in an entirely new region!!! I said new a lot huh? Well anyways, really? There were no interesting pokemon, excluding the starters? torkoal, wailmer, wailord, flygon, gardevoir, ludicolo (a little cheesy but he's awesome), slaking, the legendaries, agron, salamence, glalie, claydol, etc...there are plenty of pokemon in gen 3 that are awesome, and some even better than previously made 251. Hoenn has its fair share of crappy pokemon but so does the other Johto and Kanto. Yet for some reason Kanto and Johto are simply amazing and god-dyfing which means there were no problems with it..

and to the people complaining about the trees, seriously? The game was meant to be made to impress you on how the trees look. I personally don't give a [censored] how the trees looked because that is not the reason I played the game in the first place. And even if the trees looked horrible, the graphics were much better than they were in RBY & GSC

Those "cool" Pokemon are all YOUR opinion, I think they are all lame. EVERY single on of those seem stupid, illogical and out of place in the Pokemon universe to me. But then again, it's my opinion and you can like them however much you want.

And the trees do kind of matter, trees are the most common thing you probably see in a Pokemon game (other than grass) and I think they look so fat and short, and widely spaced apart. I'm picky, I know but ... still. Also the graphics are not really at all better than in GSC, GSC had that AWESOME mellow/autumn olive green look, not a bright neon turquoise region with bright yellow dirt and stuff.

Years
    • Seen Nov 20, 2022
    The water routes really are annoying, unless you have a ton of repels. You'd think that if they were going to put so much water in, that they would add more decent Pokemon to catch. Other than that and the underleveled Elite Four after beating the game, I really liked Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald. Quite a lot more than I like Pearl/Diamond/Platinum. Gen III is what really got me into Pokemon after playing Gen I.

Years
  • I just think that it is the weakest of all the generations, yes the nature system is nice and very pivotal in todays game but there was way too much water and a lot of the Pokemon felt uninspired and it was also the amount of double ups we saw

NotoriouzElmo

Armed and Dangerious :)
    Years
  • I really don't see why people bashed this generation. A lot of people complain that their is a lot of water and thats a fair enough point because the water is a bit annoying but Idk why people would dislike a whole game over one or two things. I know also wen i got this game i was expecting at least 2 nd hopefully three regions but when i beat it i wasnt angry or anything i just kept playing. I battled the elite four about 60 times and found it as a great way to keep my pokemon in shape, Also it was the only region where i actually liked all of the starters (never really liked leaf pokemon (bulbasaur, chikorita, turtwig) . I loved the pokeblocks, the contest , battle frontier and sometimes (b4 ur games internal battery ran dry or sumthing) there wud be in game events like sales at the department store or guys giving out ingredients to make golden pokeblockz. They were also creative like feebas having to evolve with beauty for example . I agree some of the pokemon were not originally but i think i like it equally as much as i like the kanto region. I would have to say shinnoh is my least favorite . But the main reasons Gen III got so much crap was due to ppls personal opinions

GodofPH

Submarket Zydrate Dealer
    Years
  • The Pokemon suck in my opinion cause they have no relevance to the 1-251, no evolution chains or any interesting new Pokemon, you can tell they just made them for some extra money to keep Pokemon going, 2nd gen actually looked like they had their heart in it.

The lack of relevance to the original 251 actually makes logical sense if you think about it. Hoenn is an island, and in the natural world, islands often have isolated and different species of animals compared to mainlands.

PiPVoda

water, Forever
    Years
    • He / Him
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 2, 2022
    Those "cool" Pokemon are all YOUR opinion, I think they are all lame. EVERY single on of those seem stupid, illogical and out of place in the Pokemon universe to me. But then again, it's my opinion and you can like them however much you want.

And the trees do kind of matter, trees are the most common thing you probably see in a Pokemon game (other than grass) and I think they look so fat and short, and widely spaced apart. I'm picky, I know but ... still. Also the graphics are not really at all better than in GSC, GSC had that AWESOME mellow/autumn olive green look, not a bright neon turquoise region with bright yellow dirt and stuff.

You're right, they are my opinion, and I agree you like the pkmn you like and I just stick with the ones I like. And yes, you seem to be picky if trees bug you. I think it's obvious Hoenn was all about waterways, not trees or grass. I don't even see why we're arguing over something of little to no importance anyways.

R/S/E's graphics trump GSCs. I'm pretty sure most people would agree, and this is because it was on a completely different system. I can't believe you're telling me that this
    What's wrong with the 3rd gen?

and this

are better than this:

or this:

I agree that Hoenn does seem a little bright :D but maybe that is just due to it being on the GBA and Hoenn being a tropical region (meaning brighter colors)..but can I tell ya if you think the neon/torquoise color is bad on that..try playing it on the DS. GSC did have good graphics though considering it was on the GBC.

Ichigo_Kurosaki

*Cuts in half*
    Years
  • I actually found Hoenn really good.There's nothing wrong with the water routes. I mean you only have to go their a few times after that you get a magic disc with something called FLY, remember.

Bichu

←Onigiri(Rice ball) Pichu
    Years
    • WI
    • Seen Aug 12, 2018
    I didn't find anything wrong with Gen 3. o_O Well...Ruby WAS my first Pokemon game that I played, though I knew that previous one existed already. I wasn't too much into gaming back then though.. and now I'm a nerd lol. Actually I started being into Pokemon again around the time Super Smash Bros. Melee came out, thank you Pichu for being in there. 8'D ANYWAYS.
    I personally liked RSE, and I loved the secret bases. Playing on an emulator, I can't connect Underground, so I can't make one. :C I also loved the part that rains huhuhu (which is where my secret base was) <-- Point is I wish I could have a secret base without connecting online. And I couldn't and STILL can't unsee Ruby's hat as his hair in his overworld sprite. :[ I think my eyes cried when playing RSE though, it really WAS bright..

Porygon-Z

Silph Agent
    Years
    • Seen Aug 17, 2010
    I don't like all the endless Rock Tunnel!! It drove me mad and I never want to have to play the Kanto region again!! It was horrible! You could never tell where abouts in the stupid cave you were!! I got lost soooo much!!

Sorry, had to do it.

The ocean has borders, you know. There's also something called a "world map" that you can use to tell which direction you want to go in, then just go that direction. Lemme tell ya, it's easier to get lost in Viridian Forest.

If you're like me, you have to obsessively cover every sqaure of ocean in case you miss something, so for me, all that open featureless water was very tedious.

I agree about rock tunnel, but at least there wasn't as much of it as there was ocean in hoenn.

And let me tell you, I did get lost in Viridian Forest first time round! lol! XD

I think kanto makes up for irritating caves and stuff with sheer awesomeness and accessibility.

I found Hoenn to be one massive chore.

I agree that Hoenn does seem a little bright :D but maybe that is just due to it being on the GBA and Hoenn being a tropical region (meaning brighter colors)..but can I tell ya if you think the neon/torquoise color is bad on that..try playing it on the DS. GSC did have good graphics though considering it was on the GBC.

You said the word tropical and Hoenn became instantly more appealing to me!

Zenith98s

I'm new, but not so...
    Years
  • I hate Hoenn 'cause the Pokémons don't look cool nor the trainer sprites. Have you ever see Kanto sprites in R/S/E? (eww!) FR/LG was nice cause they made great sprites...

Eggie Poo Poo

OM NOM NOM NOM NOM NOM NOM NOM
    Years
  • You're right, they are my opinion, and I agree you like the pkmn you like and I just stick with the ones I like. And yes, you seem to be picky if trees bug you. I think it's obvious Hoenn was all about waterways, not trees or grass. I don't even see why we're arguing over something of little to no importance anyways.

R/S/E's graphics trump GSCs. I'm pretty sure most people would agree, and this is because it was on a completely different system. I can't believe you're telling me that this

and this

are better than this:

or this:

Well technology-wise, the graphics are better in that there are rain effects, reflections in water, water splashes, brighter screen ... but what I mean is I like the colours more in GSC, that awesome yellow-green autumn mellow look that it had really made it fun to look at.

Also something about the old-style primitive graphics is appealing ... I don't know if you grew up in that time and played those kind of games as a kid something about it just sticks in your head and makes you remember how cool those graphics were. Back then you had to use your imagination when you looked at objects, like some little square with little dots on it could have been ANYTHING your mind wanted it to be, now everything is what it is, there is no room for imagination.

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Years
  • you both have made mistakes there..
    1. He wrote r/b/e when he ment r/s/e
    2. You thought he ment R/B/Y even though he didnt use an S

Considering B and S are quite far away from each other on any keyboard, it's to be expected.

And, well, his statement was a bad generalisation. Just because there's a game that you don't like doesn't mean you'll quit the series.

Years
    • Seen Jun 16, 2010
    Originally I disliked Hoenn, because to me the map seemed to be a real mess. There is a ton of backtracking and it is annoyingly far from linear. Then I realized the same could be said of Kanto in a lot of respects so now I don't really know what I dislike about it. It just seems, needlessly confusing still.

Mistyy

Amazing ceramist
    Years
    • Seen Apr 1, 2011
    I liked the region, the huge expanse of water made me hate it though (love the repel items!) It was good for the introduction of the double battle to spice things up, also the naturs made it more interesting. Wasn't as bad as Gen IV though imo .. :<

Back