• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen What's wrong with the 3rd gen?

Enigma

[i][font=Noto Serif][color=#e2ad53]The [color=#d94
Years
  • I loved Hoenn. I don't understand how anyone could really hate it. <3

C'mon people, water isn't that big of a deal. >_<

LilacArcanine

Aiber Enthusiast
    Years
  • Don't get me wrong, I LOVED the Hoenn games :D Team "Magqua" (in my case Aqua) were killer, the Pokemon had some wick designs and I loved Hoenn.

Some things that really irked me were the monotony of having only one region to go through after the game was over, lack of a proper communication tool to arrange battles, and some of the routes were pretty boring.

Other than that, they were pretty cool games :D I played about 120 hours on my old Sapphire save :D

Aero Blitz

Faster Than Sceptile
    Years
  • I love Hoenn, I still occasionally break out Emerald, or ruby and play them a bit. My real problem is half the regiom seems to be made of water, and it did get annoying, made me fall in love with the Repel items.

I do have a little over 400 hours between Ruby and Emerald

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 15, 2011
    In my opinion? Absolutely nothing. My very first Pokemon game was Sapphire, so I pretty much grew up around the Hoenn Pokemon. I've always loved everything about it -- the Aqua/Magma plot, the landscape (yes, even the water routes), the contests, and, of course, the Pokemon themselves.

I think the reason people bash R/S/E is because it is so different from R/B/Y and G/S/C. I had the hardest time adapting to D/P/Pl for a lot of the same reasons people couldn't adapt to R/S/E. I think it's a shame, because it's one of the best games, but it's understandable.

Years
  • I didn't see anything wrong with Hoenn. It was different from the other regions but I think 'different' in a good way. I found the underwater exploration fun and I liked the secret bases. As for the Pokemon themselves, they were quite good too. I prefer Hoenn to Sinnoh anytime!

Pheonix_slayer

WASUP YALL?????
    Years
  • honestly?

I don't know either. I think all the 3rd generation pokemon games and pokemon have been VERY Well created. i like the hoenn region mapout style, etc. I also think that the pokemon are very creative for example, Salamance, Swampert, one of my personal favorites- METAGROSS, etc, are pretty awesome along with raquaza.

so my answer is that i am clueless

Umm how is it not realistic? Honestly the last time I checked earth was around 75% water and all ther regions are based off real areas of Japan for the main series. The designers didn't create Japan so it isn't their fault that there happened to be a lot of water where that region is. And everyone says "Then use a different country for the games." If they did that they would be blasted because people would say they did not represent the other country properly. They stick with Japan because they know it and are comfortable with it. The problem with Gen 3 wasn't even an actual problem it was everyone stuck in their ways getting mad that there were changes made. The truth is if they kept Team Rocket and had another region like Kanto/Johto everyone would have cried that they didn't come up with something different. The way I see it, if you hate one you hate them all. A true fan will not complain when something they like is made for them to enjoy but will be greatful that the games they love are still being made or that the original company is still working on them. Games like Sonic and Spyro were great when they came out but the new ones suck because people just complained about them and the creators passed the titles on to different teams to work on and look what happened. The question is, was Gen 3 or any generation really that bad that there should even be discussion on what made it suck?

AMEN! I AGREE TOTALLY
    Honestly i couldn't say it better. i love all the pokemon games, and i actually saw improvement in hoenn or gen 3. the problem with all EXEPT GEN 2 is that you can't travel to all regions. You would think that Gamfreak and pokemon company would see that fans would want an awesome game, where you can get all pokemon (personally for me wiTHOUHT HAVING TO TRADE) , go to all regions.
    my theory is that maybe they are building up to an UBER game, where all the good and bad guys joing together, in all regions, with all pokemon, with the ultimate climax and plot line. I know this is probably unrealistic, but i think that it is the only explanation for gen 3 and 4 to not have trips to other regions. Either that or Pokemon company is just REEEEAAALLLYYY LAZY.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Aug 28, 2018
    Don't laugh, but emerald was my first pokemon game.
    Seriously dudes. I loved it to the death.

Years
  • It's my fav tbh. I love all the water routes (Water pokemon remain my fav type) and they introduced that start of my favourite pokemon - Roselia (Later evolves into roserade in 4th gen <3). Also, it was nice to get away from team rocket. The 3rd gen is sort of a getaway from the norm of pokemon games, which I think is awesome. It also introduced a lot of new things into the game to try out. =D

Kobold Asylum

It's Trolling Time
    Years
  • I dislike the water routes and the lack of a whole lot of diversity. The new pokemon gimmick from gen 2 got old so I think that turned off a lot of potential customers. But truly this is my 2nd favorite gen. Gen 2 will always be my favorite. Particularly the remakes. Gen 4 is the worst. Gen one was only 3rd because of all the improvements made to the series as it went.

TrilbyMenetti

HeartGold trainer
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Mar 3, 2011
    I don't hate the Third Generation (it's good), but I don't love like I do the previous two. Problems I have with the games were the new Pokémon at the time and the lack of the ones from both of the first two generations (thankfully, Nintendo have never abandoned them and I'm glad I could use them again just a year later), the introduction of Natures (controversial I know) and how soft the game was compared to the previous ones. Look at the rival for example. They're just annoying instead of someone you want to battle to kick their arse.

One thing I did like about the Third Generation was that it introduced the Running Shoes. Fantastic. :D

So really, not a problem with the Third Generation, just Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald. :D

ILoveDragonite

~~Do the wave~~
    Years
  • Bingo. Literally half of the routes were water routes. Water routes are the only places that you can take a thousand screenshots of in all different places and they all look the same. They also all have the same wild Pokemon. Which they have no excuse for, since water is by far the largest type. Furthermore, the levels of the wild Pokemon are so varied you can't train on them very well.

Sure you can repel. But repels don't magically change a water route into a normal route. They only take away content, they don't add it.

The half of Hoenn that isn't water is good and well varied. But that's the first half of the region. The whole second half is just water. Not very good for hanging around in after beating the Pokemon League.
    Just join team magma, silly.

Years
    • Seen Dec 25, 2016
    3rd Gen happens to be one of my Favorite out of the Generations of Pokemon Games.
    Yeah, I Don't own it anymore, And haven't played it For a long time. Yet, I Always found something new to do When i Finished the Game.
    My Sapphire had about 250 Hours, my Friends even had over 300 Hours.

mattman324

Run to the hills, run for your lives!
    Years
  • Gen3 is the black sheep of the series, having been made at a time where water games were in (Wind Waker, Sunshine... ect). I love them though. 2nd fave gen by far, with GSC being THIRD (IT'S OVERRATED PEOPLE! Time is not THAT GOOD of a function!), and DPPt being first. (The new pokemon either look cool, or at least are creative, unlike the Gen1 stuff)

The reason it isn't liked is the nonsence plot (In a pokemon game... yeah. And GSC's was far worse), and the sheer ammount of water (In the games favor, it IS presented in the best possible way... annoying, but kind fun).

EDIT: Can't forget the lack of a second region. Yeah, a second region... that would have not only been butchered, but would have butchered the main reason.

The Original Darkwiz787

Stuck with text below my name.
    Years
    • Seen Jun 24, 2014
    Personally, it's my favorite of the generations. I dislike DPPt. However, the region was not the greatest, and Team Aqua/Magma seemed a little sugar coated.

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Years
  • imo, I actually like a rival that isn't an arrogant jerk.

Call me childish, but I like nice characters. ;_; I'm quite happy that at the end of HeartGold, your rival becomes (relatively) nice.

The Girl Once named Tracie

She who tames Celebi
    Years
  • I really liked Hoenn! It was the first region that came out that I was old enough to know about it, and I was really excited. At first, I was a bit let down, but it's like.... a really mean dog. It grows on you after time goes on.

Izanagi

Jesus Saves.
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Mar 14, 2011
    I found the Pokemon really unattractive and unlikeable. That kind of ruined the experience for me. But they were good games. I didn't really like Wally or May though. Neither of them really went through any character development at all. Wally just became a bit more independent, but that was so sudden that you couldn't really appreciate it because you only faced him, like, 3 times.

hack1

Dragon Green
    Years
    • Seen Jul 11, 2015
    There's nothing wrong with Gen3. I like water routes and new Pokemon.

Back