• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen What's Your Elite Four Strategy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShinyGyaradosisShiny

Just some Neckbeard who plays Pokemon
Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2020
    If you can, start with Venusaur, he works good when you're in trouble against stuff like Lorelei's Pokemon. If you have not many options, get a Gengar/Haunter just in case you end up against a Gyarados or something you cannot get KO'd. Reason, Gengar can learn thunder, Haunter also can learn some good moves when TM'd. Get a fighting type, preferably Hitmonchan because he can learn stuff like ice punch or fire punch. Another thing of importance is, make sure you have a LAPRAS. These work really good against Charizard, or Exeggutor. Get Kadabra or Alakazam, since he works good against poison types. And finally, get Aerodactyl, he works really good against Dragonite if you don't have any decent ice moves.
    Good luck to you all if you have any suggestions or questions say it.

Years
    • Seen Mar 27, 2012
    I beat the Kanto Elite 4 just yesterday, and my team was around level 47. Btw, you basicly just said the team on your signature. Way to self-promote~~ (why would people copy your team? If you said strategies, then **** yeah, but just team members? This works good adainst this, that works good against it... I mean, come on...).

Now, seriously, how is aerodactyl good against Lance? His Gyarados can take a couple of rock slides and kill with anything water/thunder. Alakazam, if you're underleveled, gets outsped by Gengar. And when you're as frail as Zam, that isn't good.
    Lapras is good. Bulky as ****. Can't handle the elite four though, since he gets outsped by the DNite (thunder), the gyarados (thunder), Bruno's team aside from the Onixes and besides tanking ****, there isn't much to it.

Venusaur is also good, but before being water, Lorelei is also ice.

The Hitmons are good too and granted they'll kill off Lorelei easy, but they can't touch 2/5 of Bruno, Agatha as a whole, Lance and all his flying types and the only thing he can do to Gary is kill off Rhydon.

If you go with raw power, then that team isn't ideal. I'd say most here don't have friends with GBAs and GBALinks to trade the Gengar/Zam with. And who the hell would have the patience to train up an Aerodactyl in time for the E4's first run? I mean, he's only lvl 5 when you get him in Cinnabar, so...

My point is, if you just go with raw power, then you need to grind. A lot. Like I said, using your head is the best method, and in most cases, you can run these strategies with many pokés:

My team/strategies (most taken from competitive):

Venusaur is the perfect sun-abuser. Better than him only Exeggcute, since he has clorophyll, and that + Solar Beam = Win. Wouldn't have mattered though, since outsped most things in that place anyway.

I used Ninetales (also as a sun-abuser) to aid Venusaur in though kills, and my Dodrio (toxic staller) with Will-O-Wisp and Confuse Ray. He also killed alot of **** with flamethrower + Venusaur's sunny day.

My Dodrio was the guy who taunted all things. Then he toxic'd, and protected, and then he taunted again, and then proceeded to murder them with fly.

Other very common meta strategy is sand veil. Sandslash + Double Team (or anything with sand viel, really, + sandstorm) works pretty well in most cases, and if you kept the move, rock tombing Agathas Gengars to get them to low as sin speed is essencial.

They can't touch you, and they're now too slow to do anything to the rest of your team. That + EQ was how I dealed with Agatha as a whole. That and my Snorlax, who is just a normal RestTalk tank (good since Gengar has Hypnosis, and rest talk is already asleep anyway. Beware of Dream Eater though) and killed the gengars with Psychic (Snorlax's movepool is vast).

My other team member was Gyarados (plain out sweeper here, coverage and ****) and
    he was the one to both save me and cause me the most trouble - since he was the only one using raw force - and a Thunderbolt from mine does barely over half to Gary's Gyarados. Blizzard also does only barely over half to Lance's DNite. BOOO Special/Physical split not happening.

Anyway, those strategies I suggested (most with pokémon rarely used) conquered the E4 without many issues really, and all at lvl 47. They can be used with other pokés:

Replace Venusaur with Exeggcute and you get better coverage, Sandslash with Marowak or Digglet and you get more raw power, Snorlax with Chansey just for tankish purposes and healing without needing to fall asleep, though worse coverage and power, Ninetales with --insert fire type here--, Gyarados for any classy water type since he can't use his great attack stat if you're not running Bounce or... Strength, and Dodrio with Fearow, since Fearow>FEARon, and he also gets taunt, toxic (everyone does) and can deal with **** better. Shame for no Tri Attack though, but the stats are better, I'd say.

ShinyGyaradosisShiny

Just some Neckbeard who plays Pokemon
    Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2020
    All my moves consisted of stuff that works against Gary, I didn't focus much on the other side of the E4. I just used what I had. I didn't have much in my dex, and Aerodactyl is actually good if he has ancientpower. Dragon/Flying are weak against rock. But I've just started playing since last year. I started playing this game when I was like 8 and stopped for a while. I had fire blast and sunny day on Aero to. But I'm thinking of getting Kingdra because he is only weak against Dragons, and He can learn good movesets.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • I'm just gonna edit this to "Post your Elite Four Strategy" since not really everyone is going to use the one you posted. Plus, I think it will generate more room for conversation that way. :) I'll keep it here in Adv Gen though, so FRLG and RSE only guys!

Snivy063

Banned
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jul 16, 2012
    I didn't use any strategy when battling the Elite Four, just bought a lot of potions and stuff like that and I managed to beat them easily. I actually don't majorly train one Pokemon only, I train them all.

sherreamethyst

Dragonite's Momma
    Years
  • I like to be a little surprised, even though I've beaten every Elite 4. I usually forget most of their Pokemon, so when I battle them after i've restarted a new game, I kinda just go for it with like 10 lemonades, 10 of each status healer, and thats about it. I try to exploit their weaknesses though. It makes the Elite 4 a little harder if you don't know what to expect and much more funner for me when I realize I just beat them with an unplanned team. X)

psyanic

pop a wheelie on a zeitgeist
    Years
    • Age 27
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 10, 2023
    Nothing in particular. It sounds so boring, but it's true. I just battle, use HM Slaves for Revives and all that. Or sometimes I use a wall instead to sponge hits and stall them out a bit.

Only strategy I ever used was for Phoebe, who I used something with Swords Dance. She ALWAYS uses Protect, so I use Swords Dance on the turns she will (which is like literally every turn), and then sweep. Bye-bye ghosts.

TheGr8

lovely pair<3
    Years
  • Nothing in particular. It sounds so boring, but it's true. I just battle, use HM Slaves for Revives and all that. Or sometimes I use a wall instead to sponge hits and stall them out a bit.

Only strategy I ever used was for Phoebe, who I used something with Swords Dance. She ALWAYS uses Protect, so I use Swords Dance on the turns she will (which is like literally every turn), and then sweep. Bye-bye ghosts.

Well I know for FRLG I had my Arcanine and Electabuzz which pretty much ran the show for me, I had a bulkier Rhydon to sponge some massive hits in the e4. Pretty much my e4 strat is to go in with higher levels predict moves and go :) read and react.

miltankRancher

Mega Ampharos is the one.
    Years
  • I abused my Swords Dance Scyther. I prefer doing kamikaze over the Pokemon League: the faster I hit, the better.

Snivy063

Banned
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jul 16, 2012
    I don't like using those kind of moves to increase my Pokemon's abilities, I just attack them entirely. XD

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • I more or less just attack them directly with super effective moves. Since my levels are usually pretty close to theirs, that tactic works better than trying to draw out the fight.

For Lorelei, my resident Electric-type (either Jolteon or Electrode) carries most of the fight, though Lapras is almost always a 2HKO. Persian can usually take care of Jynx with Shadow Ball.

Bruno gets to meet my Blastoise for the Onix and my Flying type for everyone else, or if I'm using Exeggutor it can usually solo him.

Agatha's ghosts get a taste of Persian's Shadow Ball, while Electric takes down Golbat. Despite Intimidate, I still usually use my Ground type (Nidoking) against Arbok.

Blastoise is the one packing Ice Beam, so he gets to deal with Lance's Dragons. Dragonite sometimes survives the first hit, though, so I've gotten used to first using Bite or Strength on it before going for the Ice Beam kill. It's Electric for Gyarados and Aerodactyl, and usually I'm fast enough to beat Aerodactyl (with either Jolteon or Electrode, I'd better be, lol).

As for the rival/champion, the only thing of note is that I usually pit Persian against Alakazam. I've found out from past experience that (a) it'll usually survive a Shadow Ball from Persian, and (b) it'll always have Synchronize as its ability. Therefore I Fake Out first turn and Shadow Ball second turn. Everything else is simple type matching.

As for the Hoenn Elite Four... I haven't played that in so long I don't even remember. But it's probably something similar... type matching and power hits.

Years
  • I tend to design my team around counters to the Elite Four. Before I go against them, I fight every trainer that I can find (all throughout Kanto, it's not limited to Victory Road), making sure that I keep all my Pokemon's levels the same. Also, if it ends up that one of my Pokemon is under level 50, I will fight wild Pokemon in Victory Road. I usually try to make all my Pokemon level 50 in the end, and I'm usually content with that number. I make sure that I have at least one Pokemon that has a type advantage over each Elite Four member. Usually these Pokemon also have a type advantage over one of Gary's Pokemon too. Before I enter Lorelei's room, I stock up with Hyper Potions, Full Restores, Full Heals, and Revives. Usually 30 of each. Using this, I usually end up with only a few fainted Pokemon at the end of Gary's fight.

Shiny

content creator on twitch
    Years
  • My strategy is to usually level up all my pokemon to at least level 50 first. Just to be acouple above the first Elite Four member.

Years
    • Seen Jun 15, 2014
    my strategy is all pokemons lvl 60+ w/ hyper beams.....
    1st use hyper beam then if it says that will you change pokemon
    choose YES then Choose the Next strongest pokemon Do it until the battle ends....

If you can, start with Venusaur, he works good when you're in trouble against stuff like Lorelei's Pokemon. If you have not many options, get a Gengar/Haunter just in case you end up against a Gyarados or something you cannot get KO'd. Reason, Gengar can learn thunder, Haunter also can learn some good moves when TM'd. Get a fighting type, preferably Hitmonchan because he can learn stuff like ice punch or fire punch. Another thing of importance is, make sure you have a LAPRAS. These work really good against Charizard, or Exeggutor. Get Kadabra or Alakazam, since he works good against poison types. And finally, get Aerodactyl, he works really good against Dragonite if you don't have any decent ice moves.
    Good luck to you all if you have any suggestions or questions say it.

ALL YOUR POKEMONS SHOULD BE LEVEL 60 OR ABOVE AND
    LEARNED HYPERBEAM
    IT WOULD BE A PRECIOUS BATTLE IF YOUR HYPER BEAM DONT MISS BECAUSE SOMETIMES HYPERBEAM MAY 1SHOT1KILL. . .
    JUZ CHANGE YOUR POKEMON EVERY TURN BECAUSE THE NEXT TURN YOUR POKEMON WILL RECHARGE FIRST BUT IF YOU CHANGE YOUR POKEMON IT WOULD BE LIKE I SAID A PRECIOUS BATTLE.....

Last edited:
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Feb 1, 2016
    I use same strategy on every generation. It works always when you have good moves on your Pokémon and Revives (Revival Herbs). Also Hyper Potions are great. I train my starter to level 70-80. That is enough but I always grab 5 low leveled Pokémon with my starter because when your 70-80 lvl starter faints you just use low leveled Pokémon's turn to revive it. And after Elite Four member you just revive all of your low leveled Pokémon which fainted previous match. Easy and fast way to win Pokémon League.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back