• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What's Your Favorite OST From a Game?

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    First off, I know there's a thread for VG OSTs, but that one seemed more like a general thing where people just posted some stand outs.

On the other hand, this thread is to post your one specific favorite video game OST. Not just a single track, but the whole OST. So, which game has your favorite OST? Preferably if you can post some examples, and explain why you like it. Why not even explain how well it works with the context of that specific game?

I'm gonna post mine later in the day, but I think everyone knows what it is anyway.

Dreg

Done after the GT.
    Years
    • Seen Jul 11, 2016
    My favorite OST would have to be from G-Darius. There are a lot of good tracks on there, especially the song Kimera II. This always fitted the final stage well. The whole OST in itself gave a really great atmosphere.

Years
    • Seen Mar 8, 2014
    Gotta be either Halo: Combat Evolved or Pokemon: Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald.

Dragon

lover of milotics
    Years
  • From the Whole OST, huh? Yeaaah, I'm going to go with either Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Quest, Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze, or Bravely Default. Well, first, the Donkey Kong tracks from DKC2 and Tropical Freeze are outstanding, like one of my favourites here:

Grassland Grove

I really like the Donkey Kong music from these games in general because their music 'fits' in each of their level. Sometimes you get really calm and peaceful levels where you get really tranquil music that compliments that, and all you want to do is just sit back, and listen, like what Forest Interlude provides. Sometimes you get levels where you just want to get into it - like Grassland Grove, when you play 3-1 on Tropical Freeze. Gods, I was really into that level; it gave off a lion king vibe at first, which was really amazing how they did that, and I looove at the end of the level where they say Donkey Kong together; maaaaan, I cried! Sometimes you get really exhilarating levels in Donkey Kong, and of course, music compliments that, and how some of the OSTs in the Donkey Kong series are more fast paced and vibrant, which gives you a feeling on, you better hurry up, or else you'll lose! Ah, David wise is amazing. <33

I mentioned Bravely Default as a game that has my favourite OSTs too. Well, it's a recently new game, but gods the OST in that game is amazing, especially the boss fight music like the OST, That Person's Name Is. Sometimes you get a silly vibe from these bosses, but wow, the music is really epic. Even the normal enemy fights are pretty easy going to listen too! They use a lot of guitars for their battle tracks, as you probably know already if you've played already, and even some of their overworld tracks like in some dungeons, and hey, even the world map, is pretty amazing.

Last edited:

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • I promise I'm not gonna say anything from the Jak series. My favorite OST is Twilight Princess. I feel that the music in the game fully livens and matches the areas and scenarios they're placed in. I am a sucker for battle music especially, and in this game, the bosses all have their own themes. How grand is that? And the temple tracks are amazing as well, suiting their nature and atmosphere. I could go on. I mean, Zelda games are notorious for amazing OSTs, but I would say Twilight Princess takes the cake.

Can we just take a moment?

Spoiler:

Great example of a song that perfectly suits its scenario. If you've played the game, surely it popped up in your head and you know what I'm talking about.

Some temple music, to showcase the "atmospheric" feel.

Spoiler:

Don't you feel like you're actually in a mine?! And this isn't even my favorite! Don't ask me to pick just one. Please don't. lol

Honorable mentions:
    Pokemon Red, Blue, Green, and Yellow
    Kirby Air Ride
    Sly Cooper
    Mother 3
    Final Fantasy IV
    Jak 3 (SHHHHHH!!)

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    OK, let's go. I got two choices here, since I go back and forth. I'm gonna post about the other choice later.

Donkey Kong Country 2 is a very weird game. You'd expect something really Mario-esque out of it, and honestly the cover itself fools you into thinking it's something happy and well, adventure-y, with PIRATES. But make no mistake, DKC2 is one of most ambient and immersive games there is, with each level having its own story to tell due to its environmental design. DKC2 has variety in the bag. What first seems like a silly game about pirates ends up much more than that, you'll often find yourself going through a magma cavern, only to be greeted by an area in the sky, sorrounded by brambles, or perhaps you'd like to go inside a wasp hive? How about an abandoned roller coaster? Or haunted woods? DKC2 is often regarded to be one of the most atmospheric games, and it's mainly because of its soundtrack. DKC2's OST is one of the most well received OSTs, and it's easy to see why. Let me give you some examples, or rather, a top 5.

1. Forest Interlude

This is quite possibly my favorite piece of music in any medium. David Wise, the composer, rather thanof opting for something haunted in a cliche matter for a level about haunted woods, decided to make it rather moody and relaxing. This actually works well with the context of the level - it's not really a bad place to be, in fact it's not haunted.

I adore how moody it is, the slow pace of it and just how well it works with the context of the level. The atmosphere that this music produced is second to none - never have I enjoyed just sitting there and enjoying the scenery in a platformer aside from here. It's a beautiful composition, I really don't know what else to say.

2. Mining Melancholy

This one is a bit different from the rest, it's actually pretty unorthodox despite the fact it definitely fits for a mining theme. The little effects that sound like the noise a pick axe makes when it hits something really sits home with me here, but the melody makes it. Considering the whole theme of the level is also about crystal mining above else, having this sort if magical sounding melody makes sense, it's fitting for something about...discovery.

This is something that's more catchy and pleasant to listen to than moody or atmospheric. It was actually the first track I fell in love with in this game. Traversing through a mining field has never been more fun.

3. Hot Head Bop

This instantly grabs you with how funky it is. The combinations of the beats with the "lava bubbles" sound effect definitely gives it a distinct feel. But I think anyone can agree here, it's the beautiful melody that's almost unsettling especially with how it catches you off guard. Instead of saying, hey you're in a volcano! let's it's intense!, this one instead tells you, why not enjoy the sight of the lava?

This perfect transition from catchy beats to moody melody is brilliant. It stays away from the usual music trope that you'd see in a context involving volcanoes, and instead opts for something to make you ENJOY the heating atmosphere.

4. Disco Train

It's the most dangerous roller coaster ride of your life! This one actually feels SO out of place from the game, but hell considering the context which also is SO wonderfully out of place. Standing there, on top of a wrecked old roller coaster, looking at the background which is full of neonlights in wonder land so far away and watching the fire works, but it's time get ready for the ride.

What makes this stand out for me is how it starts. The composer here manages to capture this feeing of being high up in the air, and that you're about to go on a wild rid. The progression to something fast paced and groovy yet eeries captures the context of the level SO perfectly. Might I add that the screaming sound effect is absolute genius? Screaming is a big part of roller coasters, after all.

5. In a Snowbound Land

"Snow is overdone, let's go with an ice cave!"....misleading title notwithstanding.

Actually listening to it now, I dunno why it's not higher. I adore this to shreds, it's absolutely beautiful and dazzling. It really fits the whole context of exploring an ice cave, looking at the icicles and standing near the freezing water.

It's like an arctic haven! This probably the music out of the whole OST that just makes me happy. It's really pleasant and wonderful. It's so easy to just sit back and chill to it. Excuse the pun.

Yeah, I don't suppose I can talk about music in proper detail, haha.

Years
  • Sonic The Hedgehog 2. To me, there's not a single song on there that I can't listen to at any time and not enjoy (although, there are a few songs that remind me of painful moments/memories in that game, haha)

TY

As a RTS fan i have to mention Tiberian Sun. This game's OST makes the game feel alive and atmospheric. I will post some of the OST later on the day, but it totally suits the game for me.

Honorable mentions for me are:
    StarCraft: Brood War
    C&C Red Alert 2
    Borderlands 2
    and more i will mention soon!

Patrick

Ya'll Are Weird
    Years
  • There's absolutely no way to ever narrow it down to one or even five. Most game music sticks with me, even if the game itself wasn't good. And I keep tabs on most OSTs, if not selective cherry pick favorites, because the music fits a time, a place, and a mood for me at that moment. For me, it isn't enough that the soundtrack sounds good. Heck, if I wanted music that just sounded good I'd find a radio station I liked and leave it there.

Sometimes I want music that serves as soft white noise. Sometimes I want it to be low key and without much complexity. I find a soundtrack like Kirby's Star Stacker fits that bill rather well. Extremely overlooked, but technically the best use of the GB soundchip for a Kirby game, Hirokazu Ando's work here has more clarity and development than anything prior. Kirby's Tilt and Tumble, the game after and the near last game developed for Game Boy systems regressed into a more primative sound, which is a shame.

What if I still want work/drawing music, but don't want chiptunes? Gradius IV. It's mostly smooth, jazz fusion tunes, much to the chagrin of SHMUPPers used to the more energetic, adventurous tracks of the first three games. Fair enough, but even then I still find the music to be fitting with all the new graphical features introduced at the time. And as for literal BGM, I can and have looped Oceanus for hours on end, played at a low volume, while drawing, animating, or cleaning, and this is both on the job and off it (at work, headphones are used, of course).

Sometimes I use OSTs or single tracks as personal music cues. Now don't tell me I'm the only one that does this. I do this alot depending on weather, if I'm on public transportation, and especially if I'm in a city. If I'm near a pier, or a large body of water where boats are playing, I look for something fitting. Is it sunny, overcast or rainy? That can also have an effect over that situation. I just like to leisurely travel without a destination at times, so having BGM just to go along with the "adventure" is just a way I enjoy it. :)

So yeah, again, I can't pick a personal favorite. I did, at least, give some examples. I'll also say that as of right now, CAVE's Danmaku OSTs are usually what I default to when I just can't think of anything fitting, but want/need energy.

Years
  • Tough one mainly because I am quite picky when it comes to OSTs and generally only like certain songs XD Though I would have to honestly say that the entire Chrono Cross and Bravely Default soundtracks are my absolute favourites. All the instrumentals and vocal songs are easy on the ears; love the piano and violin combination in their songs.

Years
  • I am completely biased here, but I think the Civilization IV OST is far and away the best to exist ever.

The whole OST can be found here:
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL148A567BB5EB0821

It starts with Baba Yetu, the first piece originally composed for a video game to win a Grammy Award.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJiHDmyhE1A[/ame]

Then it moves onto all the ambient goodness once you start the game, and some great Opening Menu music as well. All technology quotes in the base game are voiced by Leonard Nimoy, which just adds to the beauty of the game's soundtrack.

Disclaimer: If you don't like music from past eras very much, you might have a hard time appreciating this soundtrack.

Honorable mentions: Civ 3 and Civ 2. Civ 2's is brilliant for the mid-'90s, and Civ 3 is just very well composed overall. Smash and Stars Fall from the game's modern era music in particular.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlknGt-dKVs[/ame]

Demon Days

Element of Magic
    Years
  • Oh boy, there's a toss-up between Deus Ex: Human Revolution's, which fits in perfectly with the dramatic atmosphere of the game, and Terraria's, which is filled with music that matches up well with whatever you're doing. The ocean BGM is beautiful.

Goo

Fiction is an improvement on life
    Years
  • I find the Faster Than Light soundtrack to be incredible. I bought the game for the music actually.

Nonon_hiyori

Nonon's #1 Fan!
    Years
  • Any of the OST's from the Atelier series are my favorite. I really like Atelier Ayesha's the best though. Also Disgaea D2's OST is pretty good too.

Back