• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What's your favourite Battle format?

What is your favourite Battle format?

• Total voters
Years
    • Seen Jun 17, 2017
    For me it's Doubles, it seems to be what I'm best at and I generally find it more enjoyable than the others. I do like Singles, but I prefer Doubles because I find that there are more possible strategies which makes it more interesting.

So what is your favourite Battle format and why? Also, post your least favoured if you'd like as well. I personally dislike Rotation Battles because they just seem bad. I don't know why, they just are.

Years
    • Seen Mar 13, 2023
    6v6 singles, no doubt. it's simple and straightforward with a bit of prediction and hax from time to time <3

#singles

Years
    • Seen Dec 5, 2014
    I've only really ever built my team around single battling so I'm not sure what competitive doubles are like.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    I've always been a Singles person. It's a generally simpler format and it's what I'm used to, what with 99% of all in-game battles being single battles.

Doubles I just never got into for whatever reason, and Triples looks like a goddamn mess to me.

However, I've come to like Rotations. It's kinda like Singles but a little different. I also have this nice little combo in Rotations, so bias there because I'm normally a terrible strategist and it was nice to come up with something that is not total **** for once.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • I tend to gear my teams toward single battles, since it's the simplest to follow, as Zekrom mentioned.

Polar Spectrum

I'm still here; watching. Waiting.
    Years
  • Doubles for me, (collective gasp) it's less centralized and less focused on switches and entry hazards, which typically allows a greater variety in pokemon to both be used and succeed. It also banks a lot on team building talent due to having to think not only about how your mons work against an opponent's, but also how they work with one another. It's less easy to abuse things it seems too, with most sources recognizing not many things need to be banned in doubles for balanced play.

Reactions: Tek

JGGray6

Huge PokeFan
    Years
  • Rotation. You never know what opponent you will have until you eliminate enough of the enemy's pokemon. Also, it's really fun to try to create just the right team for the battle.

Musicality

~Musical Melodies~
    Years
  • Singles wins hands down.

Not only does most of the competitive and casual battling community tend to gravitate towards singles, making it easier to find matches and allowing for more strategy and a more diverse metagame, it's the format we all grew up with in the cartridges. It's simple, it's linear, and at the same time it still allows for strategy, and teams are easier to make when you compare it to doubles, where Pokemon and strategies work as a pair. Most of the metagame discussion also revolves around Singles, making it the easiest metagame to get into for a new player in the huge world of competitive battling.

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    For me it's 6vs6 Singles.

3vs3 Singles is a little bit too luck based (pick one wrong Pokemon and you are screwed), Doubles seems alright (haven't gotten around it, because I'm still trying to become better at Singles), Multi and Rotation battles seem alright too (same as Doubles) and Triples...simply no (I even had trouble getting 20 consecutive wins in the Battle Maison to unlock Super Triples)

Zeffy

g'day
    Years
    • Seen Feb 7, 2024
    Rotation. You never know what opponent you will have until you eliminate enough of the enemy's pokemon. Also, it's really fun to try to create just the right team for the battle.

Heh, that used to be how Singles worked before Gen 5 introduced Team Preview. Successfully predicting what Pokemon your opponent will send out was far more satisfying then. :p

Last edited:

Professor_Jared

Mr. Fish trainer
    Years
  • 3 vs 3 singles, it's more thrilling than 6 vs 6 and you see a bit more of high risk high reward plays being made. Plus it requires you to prioritize and think more on your feet, since you only have 3 pokemon to use on your team instead of 6.

Polar Spectrum

I'm still here; watching. Waiting.
    Years
  • Heh, that used to be how Singles worked before Gen 5 introduced Team Preview. Successfully predicting what Pokemon your opponent will send out was far more satisfying then. :p

Yeah team preview, really lifted a lot of the guessing game in all battle formats. Poor Zoroark coming in on the gen that introduced the feature that gave everyone a heads up he was going to be somewhere on a team hahah.

I forgot to comment on Triples and Rotations too. While I appreciate Nintendo / GF's continued enthusiasm in creating new battle formats to keep things fresh and give the games potential to expand, those two in particular are a bit too, busy - for me. Having half your team on the field at once either way is a bit jarring, but I do prefer rotation over Triples, because at least that way the very position you put them in doesn't dictate as much.

Seriously- having a pokemon without sniper or a 'ranged' attack on the far left NOT able to attack the mon on the far right, just completely wastes that pokemon's move (should it not have a target in the left 2 spots). It's kinda sad. And then there's earthquake in the center damaging 5 targets, just - hm.

Detox

1v1 RBY Ubers random has always been my favorite format.

No I'm kidding, its standard 6 on 6 singles. Its what got me into battling to begin with. Doubles are cool and all, but I could never really vibe with them as well as I do with singles.

Triples and Rotation are lame imo and should be eradicated. No, but I could actually care less for them.

Dark Azelf

☽𖤐☾𓃶𐕣
    Years
    • Seen today
    6 vs 6 singles. Old school.

Doubles and Triples/rotational reek of nintendo gimmick garbage. 3 vs 3 is far more team match up luck based than 6 vs 6 which sucks.

Last edited:

Mawa

The typo Queen
    Years
  • 6 VS 6, no legendairy.

Double, then single, and I love to play sometime in triple, but I did'nt did it for some time,,,

Years
    • Seen Jul 29, 2016
    Singles because doubles can kinda be broken as hell depending on your team setup.

Triples is fun tho, when it comes to AOE attacks because its just crazy as hell.

Years
  • Earlier when x and y was introduced and I was getting into the competive scene, I was all for doubles. But eventually my friend got me into singles and since then I've lost interest in doubles. I must say 6v6 singles is really nerve-wrecking, especially when you make a wrong prediction. Ah man I love singles now. Also triple and rotation battles shouldn't exist. Hardly anyone plays them and it's just all over the place. I bet in a few generations we can expect to see 6 pokemon on the field at once.

Back