• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What's your opinion on the manga?

Maple Leaf

dazed and abused
Years
  • I have absolutely no experience with the manga, and I was wondering what people thought of it.

Do you like it? How often do any of you read it? Is it something that you would recommend?

shengar

♥ Mikan Enthusiast ♥
    Years
    • Seen Jun 25, 2013
    Which manga do you refer? If it Pokemon Special, I recommend to read it. I read it like 3 times already. I like it how they portray the involvement of gym leaders in many events and how battle are portrayed to be full of surprise and using many environmental aspect.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    I've just started reading Pokemon Special/Adventures, and I've fallen in love with it. I love how it can take the good parts of the games, and take away the unrealistic parts. For example:

-Evil people aim to kill, not faint...both the Pokemon and the Trainer
    -Gym Leaders aren't easily brought down
    -Pokemon can learn more than 4 moves

I also like that there isn't a clear cut good guy/bad guy thing going on...I mean yeah sure, Team Rocket is bad, but I didn't expect going into reading it that any of the Gym Leaders would be, or anyone like that, because of course they're good, they're Gym Leaders, lol.

On the minus side, there are some pretty senseless move combinations. They try to make the battles more creative than the ones in the game, so often the moves are combined with another Pokemon or the environment, and sometimes they make literally no sense. Once someone was using Bubble, but they made the bubbles colored, and then overlapped them, so they would combine into being "white light" bubbles that the other person couldn't see. I was like "...what?"

shengar

♥ Mikan Enthusiast ♥
    Years
    • Seen Jun 25, 2013
    I've just started reading Pokemon Special/Adventures, and I've fallen in love with it. I love how it can take the good parts of the games, and take away the unrealistic parts. For example:

-Evil people aim to kill, not faint...both the Pokemon and the Trainer
    -Gym Leaders aren't easily brought down
    -Pokemon can learn more than 4 moves

I also like that there isn't a clear cut good guy/bad guy thing going on...I mean yeah sure, Team Rocket is bad, but I didn't expect going into reading it that any of the Gym Leaders would be, or anyone like that, because of course they're good, they're Gym Leaders, lol.

On the minus side, there are some pretty senseless move combinations. They try to make the battles more creative than the ones in the game, so often the moves are combined with another Pokemon or the environment, and sometimes they make literally no sense. Once someone was using Bubble, but they made the bubbles colored, and then overlapped them, so they would combine into being "white light" bubbles that the other person couldn't see. I was like "...what?"
    I agree with the bold part.I love how they portrayed gym leaders in the manga as a really experienced battlers. Gym Leaders look really have the right to be called gym leaders since they have skills with and you can't just take them on lightly. These facts why I hate when someone bragging about how they easily defeat a gym leader just because they overleveled their pokemon.

chamo-chan

Plush maker :U
    Years
  • Erm...just a little thing I must point out..

Please don't refer to Pokemon Special/Adventures as THE manga.
    There are several (really good) Pokemon mangas out there, so referring to this series as THE manga is a bit unfair. :/

Anyway, yeah. I would recommend Pokemon Adventures to people, but I would also recommend other series, such as DPA!.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    Erm...just a little thing I must point out..

Please don't refer to Pokemon Special/Adventures as THE manga.
    There are several (really good) Pokemon mangas out there, so referring to this series as THE manga is a bit unfair. :/

It's "the manga" in the same way that the main series of games are "the games", and when people speak of the games that's what they think of. There are other spin-off games that are also great, but they're not the main ones. :3 Since it's the one most often referred to, it's easier to just say "the manga" and elaborate if someone gets confused, which doesn't happen too often.

chamo-chan

Years
  • ^
    I know what you mean, but it still seems a bit unfair.

:/ Or at least to people who've read other Pokemon Mangas. Because it implies that Pokemon Special >>>> any other Pokemon manga, which is not true.

Masqueraine

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Jul 25, 2011
    So far, so good. I'm not that far into it (only in Viridian Forest after Red saves Khangeskhan's baby) but I can see that I'm probably going to like it. Just check out the first few chapters online to see if you like it, it won't take any longer than a minute or two.

COMBOY

Pokémon Crimson & Navy
    Years
  • What could I say? PkMn Special is for me the best fiction ever made for Pokémon, the anime just started to boring me since the Advance season, so I don't watch it anymore, otherwise, the Special manga has more elaborated plots and it doesn't go around with the same lame plot again and again like the anime. I absolutely recommend to read it instead of watching the boring anime that even I don't believe it still continue nowadays.

Years
  • do the pokemon manga follow the storyline? the only manga i loved to read was like kororo and case closed conan.. other than that, other mangas didn't appeal to me as much. and how far is the manga series in pokemon? i would start reading it if it was a loooooooooong series.

chamo-chan

Years
  • @ Com: The BW anime is actually pretty good. (Though it has slowed a bit recently)
    @ justlars: If you like long series, then yes, Pokemon Special/Adventures would be perfect for you. (Pocket Monsters as well, but that series is only in Japanese. I haven't seen any form of translation for it...)

Back