• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Debate wheel or door; which is more

which is there more of

• wheels

Votes: 4 33.3%
  • doors

Votes: 8 66.7%

• Total voters

Inky

:pleading_face:
Years
    • he / him
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    Per a fun debate started by noted user Arcaneum on the Discord server, based on the following tweet:

qnr3c54bzdm81.png

Which is there more of? Wheels or doors? This is very important

Last edited:
    Years
  • Several communities left in ruins after I flounced them with such a question.

It's obviously doors and that's that on that.

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
    Years
  • most cars have four doors and four wheels so they don't count either way. some cars like trucks have more wheels, but also buildings have many doors and zero wheels (i hope). are there more buildings doors than truck wheels? certainly. the answer is doors

Years
  • There's probably more houses/buildings/structures with doors in the world than cars...maybe.

Years
  • I'd say doors. There's a lot of very large buildings in the world which contain both doors and other items that have doors on them. Even a lot of things with wheels also have doors. Granted, I don't think the margin of difference is exactly huge either.

Years
    • Any pronoun
    • Online now
    Hm.

Doors: Room-to-room doors, outer doors, bathroom stalls, automobiles (including toys), microwaves, ovens, washer + dryer, cupboards/cabinets, refrigerator/freezer, pet doors, the Matrix, Let's Make a Deal with Monty Haul, and the one to your heart.

Wheels: Office chairs, skateboards, bicycles, automobiles (especially trucks), wagons/wheelbarrows, scooters, rollerblades, wheelchairs, carts (such as shopping carts, food carts, and trolleys), suitcases/backpacks, cameras, push-based toys, bed frames, some ships, and Wheel of Fortune.

Votes doors. Racks up a lot of doors with furniture.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Oh my god, I just knew this would come up here. I've had several debates with people today alone. I am extremely passionate about this. I don't know why, but this debate is currently the only thing I currently care about. There are more wheels than doors, and there are several reasons as to why this is the case.

To fully understand this debate we must decide what is a wheel, and what is a door, and of course what isn't a wheel or door. This is the main source of confusion within this debate.

814959_16468817161734049193.png

According to the oxford dictionary, a door is defined as a hinged, sliding, or revolving barrier at the entrance to a building, room, or vehicle, or in the framework of a cupboard. The Merriam-Webster dictionary defines it as a usually swinging or sliding barrier by which an entry is closed and opened. Definition 1 is the only relevant definition. Pictures or drawings of doors, your jaw, your eyelids, or the valves in your heart do not count as doors. I bring these up because these are examples some members of the desperate Door Gang™️ have brought up in discussions.

814959_16468822201493077483.png

The oxford dictionary gives this as the definition of a wheel. A circular object that revolves on an axle.

814959_1646882693602835258.png

To better understand this question let's bring up the tweet that started it all. The question clearly states Do you think there are more doors or wheels in the world.

4d8bf79c818fa4d80a5d87100784e07d.jpg

monsters-inc-coaster-e1495059871672.jpg

Because of the specifics of this question, doors from The Matrix, Monsters Inc, or other movies or video games are invalidated and null.

A large discussion in the debate is vehicles, so we'll start there. A standard car has four doors, plus hood, and trunk. I'll count those as you could technically enter that space. The gas tank does not count. You may also have a sunroof, so we'll count that as a bonus for the doors. That's seven doors per standard car.

For wheels, however, there's the standard four tires, including steering wheel, and spare tire. Six tires per vehicle. Or is there? Volume control wheels are wheels. So we'll count those. Including the volume, tuner, AC/Temperature slider x2 (for dual sides), and PRNDL (on some newer models). That is 11 wheels per vehicle. Likely more if you continue to count whatever additional wheels you may have on your car model, however I imagine it averages out to 11.

cockpit-controls-panels.jpg

If we're counting volume control knobs as wheels, then you must count the amount of wheels in something like the interior of an airplane, with dozens of wheels (not even counting the airplane tires), which vastly outnumbers the amount of doors.

814959_16468842691496946891.png

While we're on the topic of knobs, let's talk about door knobs. Per every door there is one wheel. However, I will admit that there may be some doors that exist in this world without a door knob, or that do not have circular door knobs. This does however provide an excellent boost for the wheels.

814959_1646882693602835258.png

A door hinge is also considered a wheel. This means there is at least an additional two wheels per your average hinged door.

Buildings is a major talking point in this debate so that's where we'll go next. The average amount of doors per the average house is 14. I was unable to find the average amount of doors in a commercial/office building. However using the above evidence, the amount of wheels is almost triple the amount of functioning doors.

Within one building, you'd have hundreds of office chairs, each with six wheels. Tables, desks, applications often have wheels. Especially in places like hospitals, where almost everything is on wheels.

I'm not even on my main evidence yet.

Conveyor.jpg

I present to you: conveyor belts. Hundreds of wheels which help push along packages, cargo, or whatever else. Found in airports, warehouses, factories, etc. The longest conveyor belt, the Bou Craa, which stretches 98 kilometers. That's a wheel or two right there.

And of course, the final piece of evidence...

metal-carts.jpg

...the shopping cart. Hundreds to thousands of shopping carts per store. Hundreds of thousands of stores worldwide. The statistics speak for themselves yall.

Thank you for coming to my completely necessary Ted Talk that I just wasted the last hour of my life writing.

wheel gang™️ takes another W

Retek

Banned
    Years
  • Oh my god, I just knew this would come up here. I've had several debates with people today alone. I am extremely passionate about this. I don't know why, but this debate is currently the only thing I currently care about. There are more wheels than doors, and there are several reasons as to why this is the case.

Spoiler:

Thank you for coming to my completely necessary Ted Talk that I just wasted the last hour of my life writing.

wheel gang™️ takes another W

Damn, that was an experience. Well done on the information Mew, learned lots of things from this!

However, you're forgetting something...
    "Cogwheels!" 😉
    I think that's considered a wheel too? And it's present in so many devices, clocks being an example! :D

TEAM WHEEL EVERYONE!

Her

Years
    • Seen May 5, 2024
    you don't even have to do fancy maths and essays to prove that there are more wheels

think about how many lego wheels there are

goodnight

Years
    • Any pronoun
    • Online now
    How far do you want to stretch the definition of "door"? Acquiesces about things like washing machine doors beings doors, despite not falling under the strict definition, correct? Came up with a few more:
    - Cage doors, such as in zoos, jails, kennels, and the United States border for children
    - Gates (not Bill)
    - Drawers. (Slides open. Appears on furniture.)
    - Access panels, such as battery panels for electronics, ventilation, and circuit breakers. (Grants you access, much like a cupboard or cabinet door. Needs not walk through to count.)
    - Treasure chests. (Relies on a hinged barrier made of wood, in the classical example. How different is this from a cabinet?)
    - Glasses cases. (See above, but likely not wood.)
    - Advent calendars.
    - Manhole covers
    - Openable windows (on buildings and cars). Considers 50th floor windows (that open) a door, with enough bravery.
    - Display cases
    - What Would You Do?'s Wall of Stuff
    ia95g7ipcpt31.jpg
    (Look at all the doors. Easily makes up for a quarter of game shows by itself.)

(Is not seriously debating, for the record. Riles up some people simply for being a debate. Enjoys pushing the definition. Argued well enough for wheels already.)

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    Let's be real here: windows are nothing but overglorified doors. Sure, you wouldn't want to go through most of them but that doesn't mean you couldn't. Also: you know the saying about when you close a door then a window opens. They wouldn't say that if they didn't assume you to use it as a door!

Also: have you seen some of the buildings in the world? So many windows, I mean doors! D:

CiCi

[font=Satisfy]Obsession: Watanuki Kimihiro and Izu
    Years
    • Seen Nov 24, 2023
    Judging by my own house:

Doors (to rooms/closets, cabinets, drawers, sliding glass, I'll even count the 2 bay windows since they open and are on a hinge): There's probably around 50 in my house.
    Wheels (bikes, chairs, wheels that open the drawers, toys with wheels): There's 7 in my immediate vicinity. I have 4 drawers, each with 4 wheels, so 16 there. Toys for the baby, I have one phone with wheels (4), a plane with wheels (2), and a cube with 4 wheels on it. That's already 37 wheels. Plus Lots of toy trains (with doors that don't open and I don't believe count as doors: no hinge, no opening) from my husband's late grandfather. Innumerable. This is where it gets too tricky to count, but it's a guaranteed over 40.

And with that, I'll say wheels.

Her

Years
    • Seen May 5, 2024
    not as many doors as there are lego wheels i tell you h'whut

Years
    • Seen Feb 9, 2024
    OMFG this is going to drive me nuts now....LOL!

One person states the case from one side and I stop to really think about and go yeah I could see their being more of those than the other than someone else presents the case for the other side and then I have to stop and really think well yeah now that you think of it there could be more of those.

As for wheels.....don't forget about the heelie shoes...lol. But for the doors don't forget about the ones in alllllll of the toys and Legos...lol.

Years
  • After having a think about it, clearly it has to be wheels.

There are only four Doors in the world.

Jim Morrison, Ray Manzarek, Robby Krieger, and John Densmore. AND two of those have died so I guess there's only actually two Doors in the world.

Years
  • As I was reading through the posts in this thread I started to wonder why I even clicked on this 😅

Voted Doors. You can't even view this thread without looking through the door to the internet that is your computer/phone!

Years
  • After having a think about it, clearly it has to be wheels.
    There are only four Doors in the world.
    Jim Morrison, Ray Manzarek, Robby Krieger, and John Densmore. AND two of those have died so I guess there's only actually two Doors in the world.
    But I thought they had the same amount as Wheels? I'd say it's a tie then...

Back