• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

When did you become interested in animé?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chad -

Years
    • Seen Aug 27, 2012
    Okay, so you were watching TV and an animé appeared in front of you. Of course, at that time you did not know it was called as such. You watched it, you liked it and you went on the Internet or something, and looked it up. The search resulted in many other, weird animé and very interesting shows.

So, the topic is, when did you become interested in animé? How and did you become a hardcore watcher in a short time or not?

Years
    I was introduced to it by my sister who watched and read mainly CLAMP stuff along with Adult Swim stuff in her High School freshman year. I thought, "why the hell not?" When I got into freshman year, I got acquainted with the Adult Swim mainstream. Stuff like Death Note, Code Geass, and Full Metal Alchemist. Soon after, it was Haruhi and Lucky Star.
    Sophomore year, I started delving a little more with stuff like Black Cat, Toradora!, and a few airing stuff. I was full on TOUHOU FANTARD at the time as well, so I didn't feel like watching anime when I could be playing curtain fire shooting game.
    Junior year was when I really started to kick things into gear, watching a lot of airing series and few of the somewhat less "notable" finished series. This summer alone, I watched at least 240 hours worth of anime, most of it being finished series of course.

I blame DLTMSA.

Jack O'Neill

Banned
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Jul 15, 2015
    While I was familiar with a few titles as early as 5th grade, it wasn't until I was in high school that I really started getting interested.

Mirby

Big ol' nerd
    Years
    I'd say... when I was 7 or 8. Whenever I went to my great grandparents' house they always had Toonami on, and DBZ was ALWAYS playing.

A few years later, Digimon came on, and that truly interested me. And it spiraled from there...

Charliezard

A wild shroomish appeared!
    Years
    In Primary School, getting up at like 6:30 to watch Pokemon, Dragon Ball Z and stuff was how it started. Then later my friends who were interested in anime lent me a bunch of ranma 1/2 episodes... First subbed anime I watched. Can't exactly remember when that was though, early High School.

Meadow

[span="font-family: Handlee; font-size: 15px; font
    Years
    I've seen a couple on TV since I was three or four, but I never knew they were called "animé" until my sister told me when I was 8 or 9.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 28, 2019
    ooooo nice thread topic XD

Well, when I was little I used to watch Pokemon a lot. Then after a year or so of watching that I got into Yugioh. After a year or two of watching that I gave a pretty long break from watching any other anime because I lost interest in them. (Note; I didn't know they were anime let alone what anime was at that age.) Early 2008 I went on Yahoo! Answers and stumbled upon the C&A section. I began to see people posting some things about anime, mainly Naruto. After what my friends said about Naruto I didn't feel inclined to watch it, so I didn't. A month later a family friend's son came by and told me it was a good show. Then he told me what anime was and I got interested. I watched Naruto for a good month then got back on Y!A and became a TC there. After that I tried my luck with other anime. (Elfen Lied) I also watched Eng Dub on CN. Then I saw Death Note, taped it and watched it. I loved it so I kept watching it. After it was over I wanted another anime to fill the place so I saw Bleach. My first impression was why the heck is it named Bleach? But, I still watched it and I loved it. In the summer of 2009 I stumbled upon here, left Y!A and stayed here. But it really wasn't until this year when I really fell in love with Anime. XD I watched over 30 series this year XD

So the answer to your question, I became interested in mid 2008.

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
    Years
    I kinda slowly discovered them as they came on cartoon network and adult swim. I recall Detective Conan as being one of the first anime that I actually really enjoyed and watched every night. I was still really young back then though. Around middle school I got into Inuyasha, and then Bleach after that. Since then I've been a full blooded otaku.

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
    I think when I was around 16? I had watched anime before that, but none of it interested me (mostly because 90% of the stuff that airs in the US is action or adventure). Then I re-watched Cardcaptor Sakura in the original Japanese. It was so great that I gave anime a second chance. I watched a few other series that greatly improved my opinion of it, and now I watch a lot, though I guess I'm still pretty picky.

Planetes.

@n_diiv
    Years
    • Age 27
    • Seen Jun 6, 2017
    Well when I was introduced to Pokemon I started watching it, naturally, when I was around 9-10 I started watching cartoon network and toonami came on with all these cool shows Like Zatch Bell, One Piece, and IGPX. After that was Naruto. I was seriously PISSED when they canceled Toonami, and the only anime thats on that I know of is on Adult Swim from like 1-5, which I can't always watch since I am not a wombat. There's some Anime DVD's at the library but the only that looked interesting was .Hack which I really liked. I read more manga, than I do watch anime. Sports anime and Manga like POT (lol pot, I mean Prince of Tennis), Whistle, and Eyeshield21 are my faves.

Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    April 2009. For the same reason as twocows, I wanted to rewatch Cardcaptor Sakura for nostalgic reasons, then I watched a few 70s anime then went searching for modern anime that might interest me. Before then I was sceptical because the only series I knew about didn't interest me at all, I thought the only anime out there were things like Pokemon, Dragonball Z, Digimon, etc. that were all fun when I was a child, not much fun now I'm older. I've never been a huge fan who keeps up to date with all the latest series or anything, I just end up obsessing over the few series that I enjoy.

Ctrl.Alt.Geak

Swords Master
    Years
    • Seen Feb 18, 2017
    I started watching anime around 1995 or '96. Sailor Moon was the first anime I watched, then it was stuff like Dragon Ball Z, Pokemon and Neon Genesis Evangelion, which I would rent on video every week. Toonami and Adult Swim were like a blessing for me, they introduced me to some amazing shows.
    This is making me feel all nostalgic :)

Shanghai Alice

Exiled to Siberia
    Years
    Though I don't know if it counts (I say this because... I dunno. It just doesn't feel like my first anime), '00-'01 was when I watched CardCaptors. I watched the Dutch version of Pokemon in... '99.

I became interested in 4Kids *Pukes in a garbage can* anime in... '04-'05, I think.

I became interested in actual anime (Azumanga, Geass, Lucky Star, etc.) about '07. I know that because I caught up with the second season of Geass during the year that I first started watching anime.

Agent Clank

Bye PC
    Years
    • Seen Jan 11, 2011
    I've been interested in anime for a long time.
    I don't know when I started ^_^'

Rokusasu

Scientist Salarian
    Years
    I used to watch Pokemon, Digimon and Card Captors back in primary school without realising they were anime. I was aware of Sailor Moon too, but it didn't appeal to me as much as the others did. Then, at the age of 14, I discovered manga and anime along with it.

I didn't start watching anime properly until last year, being more of a video game freak, but I've managed to watch quite a few. The only problem is, the more I watch, the more characters I want to cosplay. D8

Mcguinness3

AnimeFreak and Pokélover.
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen Aug 22, 2016
    Cardcaptors, Digimon, Pokemon, Dragonball Z, Medabots. Nuff said, God love my Childhood! :)

Weeaboo Name

Banned
    Years
    Pokemon was the first anime i recall watching, but to be honest it was just as cartoon i liked.

I watched a couple of anime films a few years back, Grave of the fireflies and another couple in Media at school. After that a friend gave me Death Note on pirate DVD, and i've been addicted ever since.

Slumber

take a slumber~
    Years
    I think it started when I watched sailor moon and follow by dragon ball z, pokemon, slamdunk and so the others. ..I can't really remember the exact thing.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back