• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

When did you start to like Pokemon?

Years
    It was a long time ago... It started about 1998 or 1999, but it came in full about 2000, I think. I can't remember, it was that long ago. @_@

Anyway, my interest started with Christmas. My grandma bought my stepbrother Red and a thing for the SNES to play Game Boy games. I watched him play it, and I wanted to play it. I also saw my first Pokemon episode around this time... Holy Matrimony, I do believe it was. @@ It was all a blur to me~

However, I really didn't get hooked until my 11th birthday. That's when I bought my own Game Boy Color (it was yellow -- I watned a diffrent color, but that was all they had at the time), Yellow and Blue. I played Yellow, and I was hooked. @@

As for the anime, I don't know when I really started watching it. All I remember was I was in Japan at the time (Yes, I lived in Japan, but I didn't wach that many Japanese episodes. I lived on a US Air (force) Base, so they had English channels. That's how I watched Pokemon). Man, was I hooked then...

I lost interest in it once, acutally. I went back to the States on vacation, and when I came back, I just wasn't interested. However, I was soon hooked again. ;D My addiction has died down, yes, but I still like it. I think it's more of the "there's nothing to do!" kind of thing right now, since I've played all of the versions.

I can't wait for the new games to be released. I'm sure that'll get me hooked... again. XD;

Drifblim

Banned
    Years
    Late 1999. It started with the cards, strangely; I had gotten several packs for my eleventh birthday and I was hooked thereon. I no longer collect cards; I have just played the games these days.

Dawg 2005

The original Dawg 2005
    Years
    I started liking Pokemon a little before the craze.

I saw it on tv and was hooked, but not on the show. XD I saw Red and Blue and HAD to buy them. XD

Himawarii

LOOOONGITUDE
    Years
    I started to like Pokemon back when it started <3
    Than from 2001-2003 I sorta lost interest....
    But in 2004 I got back into the games,cards,anime,etc,and I'm still loving it ^o^

Years
    In 3rd grade when the games first game out. Suddenly every kid at Scope (An After-School Daycare) had the game. I used to play the Final Fantasies on SNES so Pokemon kind of felt at home with me :D.

Rioku_Zanketa

...::Ultimate Warrior::...
    Years
    back in 1998...I like it because of the cards.....dude,I thught I was the best player in the world because I beat someone with the blastoise healing stragety and only my charizard.....and the girl who had it said that it was the best way to win ever,......but I won.....then the games came out!!!!I became the master at that!!!!me and my friends battled each other(before the rare candy trick...)I always won....then the show came out....I didn't like any but the first episode...it was to goody-goody,and not enough action.....but if all the other episodes were like we the first one I woulda liked it.....

Kalylia

Pokemon Breeder
    Years
    I was... I believe... a fifth grader... no... fourth. The year was 1998-1999 about. My sister brought home a couple of cards that a friend had given her. I had no idea what they were, but I fell in love with the cute, friendly faces.

Soon enough, I had a huge portfolio of cards and was showing off my Mew card to the other Pokemon nerds at recess.

Years
    I remember seeing the episode where Charmander evolved into Charmeleon. After that my friends brought out the cards and that sealed the deal. I stopped liking pokemon about a year and a half ago though.

Ciervo Volante

Say WHAAAT?
    Years
    I remember it perfectly;
    Sometime around summer 2000, I was watching tv in my parents room, I was looking for something good to watch, and pokemon caught my eye, and thats it, folks. XD

hamir

Embrace yourselves
    Years
    • Seen Dec 24, 2008
    lets see wot got me started on pokemon. ah it was in 1998 i think when they stated showing pokemon on tv, first i wasn't interested, when all my friends started watching it at school so did i, i couldn't stop watching it, it was so good. Then there were the pokemon cards, i only collocted pokemon card for a few years then stop. The games, my cousin had pokemon red and blue , i can remember i wanted them too, so i brought myself a gameboy colour and brough pokemon yellow, i played it for years. after that i lost my interest in pokemon for 3-4 years. untill last year i started getting interested again and brought myself pokemon firered version, i have played 500 hours on my firered version because the game was so good. i don't like the pokemon tv shows no more but the games are the one which are making me stay into pokemon. i can't wait for pokemon diamond and pear version for the nds.

Rayquaaza

The trainer of Dark Pokemon
    Years
    I began creed at 7 years. Like all the children, I loved the Pokemon. I was collecting also the cards of the Pokemons! I knew everything: evolutions, strategies, names. When I arrived at 10 years, I do not know because, I lost every interest. Started doing new collectable cards, as Magic and soon the cards of the Pokemons finished in the rubbish and with them my interest of the Pokemons well. To be sincere, is all deserve of May if I like them again the Pokemon! Looking at my sister who was seeing the cartoon of the Pokemons, I saw May and fell in love with her. Slowly I looked again at the Pokemon and I was interested again to them. Even though between my the Pokemons both a thing friends from children.I still like them and have felt much raised looking at that in this forum you are very a lot of and all with my same age. I am slowly recovering my old knowledge, even if I have seen that I remind myself of everything of the Pokemons of the first edition. So attention, you are near a great Pokemons lecturer!!!!

Gentleman J

Going to the Poké Ball also?
    Years
    I've always watched the show on tv when I was in middle school, around half a decade ago I think, but I didn't like it that much. I became interested in the game when I uh, accidentally downloaded Ruby and Sapphire.

Skitty101

Crazed Advanceshipper!!
    Years
    I don't really remember when I first started to like pokemon.
    I think it was around 2000. :\

enyce

banned
    Years
    I been with pokemon since the games were released. Ever since I got hooked. After G/S/C I lost intrest. But like November 2005 I started to pick it up again. I dont think im going to drop it anytime soon.

Years
    Sometime in 1998 is when it first started for me. I actually first become interested in the series sometime early that year, whenever I saw an article in Nintendo Power about the then-upcoming Pokemon games. I thought it looked rather interesting, as I've always had a liking for video game monsters, and this "Pokemon" was no exception; but since all that was known about it was the info given in that article, and the promise of it being released eventually, I didn't think too much more about it after some time.

However, September 1998 is when I really first got hooked; first with the anime (of course, as that was the first thing to come out), then with the games - I remember being so glad when I finally got my hands on a copy of the blue version - and then with some of the other things that eventually came out, such as the card game. My liking for the series has more or less died down by now, though I still find myself liking the actual pokemon themselves.

Neosplash

|♜|♞|♝|♛|♚|♝| ♞|♜|
    Years
    I started liking it when everyone strated getting the games.
    We would sit around and play pokemon on the gameboy with Link cables.
    I would Alway get the bad deals. People would trade me my Started for a caterpie of somthing (They did it, because they knew I would not do anything).

Back