• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

When getting a new Pokemon game, do you buy the guide as well?

Scialen

My Goodness, I'm DELICIOUS!
    Years
    • Seen Sep 23, 2010
    It's a little tradition of mine when I do so; I did it for Red, Gold and Ruby and as I'm getting back into it now with the new generation I'll probably do it for Platinum.

Do you do the same or do you just launch into it?

Wings Don't Cry

Maybe she's born with it
    Years
    When I was little I never had the money to but the game and the guide, so i had to make do with gamefaqs. But I'll probably buy the guide for HG/SS since having a job means I can afford both.

Enigma

[i][font=Noto Serif][color=#e2ad53]The [color=#d94
    Years
    I can usually figure out things myself, unless I just get the guide for fun to read.

Arma

The Hyena
    Years
    I never bought one, and I don't think I will. I just think it's a waste of my money.

The Red Chain

It's not as fun if you are told how to maneuver throughout the game.
    It gets you to the end faster, and that isn't fun to me. ;~;
    Though sometimes the guides have very interesting tips and tricks that I like to review after
    I finish the game.
    I visit Gamestop to do my reviewing.. I really don't want to waste my money when I can just read it right there.

Last edited:

Pokémon Ranger ✩ Moriarty

I lit a wee fire...on a boat!
    Years
    The only game guide I own is for Pokémon Platinum, but I bought that after I had defeated the E4. I wanted it for all of the bonus data it gives you in the back, so that I don't have to open Bulbapedia every time I want to check something.

I'll probably buy the HG/SS guide if it's up to the same standards as the Platinum one, but most game guides nowadays are total rubbish :/

Haruka of Hoenn

Rolling writer
    Years
    I don't usually buy the guide, since I prefer experiencing the game for myself. I bought the guide for Diamond, and it ruined the 'excitement' of playing.

Emotion.

Mentally Burning Rainbow.
    Years
    Nope, never brought one with the game.
    I did buy the LG/FR one after I had completed it because it was on offer for £1 or something stupid like that so I thought why not.
    There's enough good guides on the internet if I ever did get stuck anyway, which to this date I never have (Minus finding certain pokemon, and that's where Bulbapedia comes in :D)

Moltres111

<- Serious business.
    Years
    Nope. I either play blindly, or I watch a walkthrough, which helps me a whole lot more.

OR I use bulbapedia which is also helpful.

I doubt a guide would successfully get me through the most annoying part in Platinum btw.. aka the Distortion World =P

Medli

I am Error.
    Years
    • Seen Mar 28, 2010
    I used to always buy the guides, but I've given up on that. It's not as fun. The only thing I do is find maps of the caves and stuff on Bulbapedia because I have no sense of direction, and I like to get everything in the caves.

Ayselipera

Pokemon is pretty straight forward so I never bought the guides myself. I recieved Yellow, LG/FR, and DPPt as gifts though and the people who got them for me bought the guide with it. So I only have the guides that correspond to those games.

Plus I don't really like the guides. They usually have horrible typos all over them. For instance in my DPPt guide book it told me that Shieldon was a grass type that had the abilities chlorophyll and early bird.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
    Yes, but it's more force of habit than anything else. GameFaqs guides are generally more in-depth. I do spend approximately three months of the year without Internet so they aren't a total waste...

I'll probably break the habit for HG/SS if I get it, since at most I'll be GameFly-ing it.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    I get the guide after I beat the game so that I can know where everything I missed is located, or where certain Pokemon are. It's been a long time since I've done that, though.

thedestinedblade

Radiant Cool Boy
    Years
    As someone said above, the games are usually pretty straightforward so I really never had the need to buy the guide. Though if I ever need help with anything, there's always gamefaqs. :D

Years
    • she/her or they/them
    • Seen Apr 4, 2024
    I bought the guide for my brother when I got our copies of Platinum; I had already played Diamond and Pearl (sans guide) so I didn't use it at all. It's only use nowadays is for figuring out where to get certain Pokémon and figuring out the movepools for certain Pokémon. I'm probably going to get the guide for HG/SS, though, because my brother will probably need it.

Back