• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen When you first batteld Red in G/S/C

poopydude

PKMN Master
    Years
    The first Time i beat Red was out of pure luck actually. I knew what his party consisted of. And at the Time My team Was a level 70 Feraligatr a 63 Lugia and a 55 Snorlax. Don't know how i did it but we won the first time around (lots of hyper potions and revives) and i remember at the time feeling like i accomplished something amazing

Years
    I remember how epic my first battle with him was...I was probably like 6 years old...I had just finished Pokemon Yellow probably 2 weeks prior and I had no idea what I was up against.

I remember walking up those steps, staring at this trainer thinking, "I wonder who this is..." I walked up to him and pressed the a button and, "..." is all he said. "Hmm...This guy kinda looks like the main chara-..." I dropped my Gameboy on my bed and stared at the screen. "This couldn't be...No..." I hit the a button and before I knew it the battle was starting.

His Trainer Sprite popped up and underneath it read "PKMN Trainer Red would like to battle!" I sat there for probably the longest minute of my life unsure of how I should be reacting, what I should be feeling, or how strong this guy was gonna be. "Surely his pokemon can't be over level 75." My Typhlosion was around level 74 or so and I was confident it could handle anything. So I proceeded to battle him.

His first pokemon, level 81 Pikachu... I froze. Never in my life had I imagined encountering such a high level pokemon. Especially outside of the Elite Four...My first pokemon was my level 65 Noctowl. I went for the Psychic and it hit but did minimal damage. Pikachu used Thunder. Noctowl has fainted. Already I knew this was about to a long difficult match. Finally after fainting Half of my team the Pikachu faints...Luckily my ampharos easily took care of blastoise and charizard while typhlosion took venasaur. Umbreon was victorious against espion and last and definitely not least was Snorlax. "Uh-Oh" I already knew from previous experience how bulky snorlax was. Ampharos was the first to fall, then umbreon. Now it was 1 vs 1 Typhlosian vs Snorlax. My heart was racing...Snorlax used rest. "NOOO!!" ...all the previous fighting had meant nothing now. It was no longer paralyzed, had full health and my typhlosian was half fainted. I fought on...Typhlosian in the red now with Snorlax in low yellow...Typhlosian used Flamethrower. Snorlax is burned. Snorlax used Body Slam...It missed!!! Typhlosian use Flame Wheel!!....Snorlax fainted...

Luckily I was able to win that match. After the battle Red leaves as usual. I still remember thinking about where he may have went after that battle. Some said he died...Some said he went back to Kanto...Some said he continued his journey to become the best pokemon trainer ever...All I knew is that Pokemon have a weird way of saying goodbye...

My Pokemon Yellow Team: Pikachu, Charizard, Blastoise, Venasaur, Snorlax, Eevee

PKMN Trainer Red's team: Pikachu, Charizard, Blastoise, Venasaur, Snorlax, Espeon

Smitty.

Forget who you were.
    Years
    Took him out with what was my first legit Lv. 100: Feraligatr. I didn't find Red until about three years after purchase. O_o

Mephodicus

Inventor
    Years
    Ahh, Red. I would down the first three on his team, and then he'd whip out his trump-card Snorlax to give you hell. If you could land a Dynamicpunch on it though you were pretty much home and dry.

Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2013
    This was one of the most intense battles I ever had in a game that i played as a child. While it wasnt uber difficult I lost a couple times before I finally managed to beat him. Boy, one of the biggest achievements of my childhood XD

Years
    • Seen Feb 18, 2013
    Red's snorlax is seriuosly annoying, my best pokemon was lugia lv 71 and all of my other pokemon were around lv 50. It took me 1 hour with multiple failed attempts and eventually beat that bloody snorlax. The others were simple.

2Cool4Mewtwo

Pwning in Ubers since 1996.
    Years
    It was totally unexpected. On top of that he had lv70+ pokemon... my highest level poke was a lv61 typhlosion at the time if I recall :P

Jarred0809

The Eternal Lurker
    Years
    I wish more of these games would do the big final battle the way GSC did. I'm getting sick of the Elite 4 always being the greatest challenge in the entire game.

phonastik

Strange Quark
    Years
    ^ Me too.
    When I battled Red I was around 8 years old. After I beat the E4 I didn't know what to do, so I ended up just going through and beating them multiple times more. When I found Red, my team was in the 80s, so it wasn't a problem, although I was a bit shocked when he sent out his Pikachu.

PokemonLeagueChamp

Traveling Hoenn once more.
    Years
    When I first met him, I was fresh off my first E4 win, so I was like "hellz yeah, bring it, Red!"
    *5 minutes later*
    MOTHER OF GOD I GOT OWNED.

Years
    I lost quite a few time when I fought him,simply because my Pokemon are only between Lv70~80.His Snorlax was pain in the ass though,especially his Rest and Snore combo...Luckily I killed him with Dream Eater with my Haunter... :P
    Then again,when I played Soul Silver,I thought that Snorlax would do the same thing like the old days,until he shattered me with that Shadow Ball... :O

Pwnyta Jockey

Bees Hate You, Pwnyta!
    Years
    Only won because my Typhlosion was overlevelled. Used a Revive. Actually recall his Pikachu getting close to ohko'ing my Typhlosion from a critical because my Fire Blast missed and had battled on the way there.

His Venusaur was a bit tough as I ran out of PP for Fire Blast and had to use other moves.

Roar helped me to win.

the :D

<- heracross ftw!
    Years
    • Seen Jan 7, 2012
    Oh, man, back in those days, when I had a working (keyword) copy of Silver, what I did is I had a level 90-something Feraligatr who I basically played through the whole game with and nothing else above 50. I remember I had a Lugia and a Pidgeot. And I still remember his exact moves. Looking back, I have no idea how I beat Red.

LEVEL 90-SOMETHING FERALIGATR
    - Surf
    - Hydro Pump
    - Cut
    - Fury Cutter (it was a TM, and I taught TMs immediately to whoever could learn them)

I think I just spammed Surf, and maybe a few Hydro Pumps here and there.

poke are poke

mischievous
    Years
    When ı faced the E4 my starter just evovled amd ı had a balanced team of level 30s then ı saıd "ok ı wıll gıve my money to mom and ı wıll fıght those noobs" * a couple of hours later * OH YA typhlosıon ıs level 55 and ho-oh ıs level 65 ( ı was legendary noob) *ın mt slıver* red creams my pokemon. I went and caught lugıa beat the E4 a couple more tımes. Then ı went and wıped the floor wıth red's pokemon

tokyodrift

[i]got me looking for attention[/i]
    Years
    • Age 30
    • he/him
    • Seen Mar 8, 2024
    I remember when I didn't know what I was getting myself into when I first found him while roaming Mt. Silver. Once the battle started, I could believe that I was facing a Lv. 80+ Pikachu. He wiped the floor with my the first time, so I decided to go train a bit and return and eventually won. His Espeon and Snorlax were pretty annoying. :P

Mr. X

It's... kinda effective?
    Years
    I can't remember the first battle but like someone else I was like...

Red - ... ... ...
    Guess he's not a talker.
    Then
    Holy crap, battle!

The only pokemon that gave me issues was his Espeon since I didn't have a type counter for him.

Red in HG/SS is a joke though. They should have increased his pokemons levels to account for all to additional moves that were avaliable to us.

Last edited:
    Back