• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

When you got your 1st pkmn game, did you know how to play it?

Adri-chan

What the fruit?
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Sep 28, 2012
    I understood the concept, but I had no idea about type match ups. I still ended up winning most of the battles since my Pokemon were high-leveled anyway. No problem there.

Years
    • Seen Jan 28, 2015
    I started with Red pretty young and I pretty easily got the hang of it thanks in large part to being a pretty gifted youngster, an older brother, and the most important a Strategy Guide.

that thing was a life saver cause first time through and every time since I have never used flash in rock tunnel

Meepman

Arogance is bliss
    Years
    Well knew enough to leave my house, but I didn't that you can't use fly to skip ice path to blackthorn city (I was stumped on that puzzle for days).

DasherPunch

Chibi Chimchar FTW
    Years
    I guess my first game was at the age of 6 or 7, it was Sapphire on an Emulator. I had no problems because my older cousin helped me in the start, after which I would just ask my dad to translate (I could read, but I'm Finnish). Actually, I think the Pokémon games taught me alot of English.

umbreon_4_life

aka Commander Mars
    Years
    • Seen Apr 11, 2012
    Ha ha! I was such a loser that I didn't get any pkmn games till Diamond! All those years I've wasted! I actually read the manual, like anybody else does. (< _< loser...) I knew how to play the game right when I started! ^_^

Years
    • Seen Jan 28, 2015
    Well knew enough to leave my house, but I didn't that you can't use fly to skip ice path to blackthorn city (I was stumped on that puzzle for days).
    yeah i remember that ice path, hated it so much took me a couple of days

Years
    • Seen Sep 10, 2014
    Gosh, I can't even remember. Pokemon has just been a part of my life and I just seemed to pick up the gameplay and elemental chemistry seamlessly.

minchan

Mudkip Worshipper
    Years
    For Christmas when I was either six or seven years old, I got a GameBoy Color and a copy of Pokemon Gold and Silver. I never played videogames before, unless you count PacMan in an arcade...

Anyway, I opened up Gold first, and started playing. I got through Oak's monologue alright, but then... I couldn't figure out how to leave my house!!! Once I got out, I couldn't figure out how to do the next step. After a while, I finally got into the Lab. But then I couldn't figure out how to get my Pokemon!!! It took about... maybe more than an hour to figure out everything.

My sense of time for events that long ago is kinda hazy because it was more than half my life ago. I'm sixteen now. I feel kinda dumb for not noticing the welcome mats in the buildings, and not pressing the A button at the Pokeball... And it took me a while to figure out how to scroll through text, too. (Isn't that little down arrow a bit misleading? LOL)

Lockmaster24

Wise words of FizzyStardust
    Years
    i knew how to play cause my cousin taught mebefore i got the games to see if i liked it... I did... I still wasn't any good cosidering i need a the 87ish Blastoise to beat the league

Years
    no, my 1st pokemon game i played was pokemon red in german (i don't speak and don't know anything of german) and i couldn't go through 4 cities

futsukushi

Duel Monsters Ambassador
    Years
    At first, not at all. xD

I was playing Pokemon Yellow ver. at the age of 6, and it was my first real video game ever. My trainer ended up being named "aaaaaaa", if that's any indication to how clueless I was.

But after about ten minutes, I got the hang of it. Hooray for quick learning!

Brendonwii

Gooby pls
    Years
    Ahh dont know really it "t'was" about 10 years ago at march i think i played it pretty good for my age.
    (Woah S*** i have had my game boy for 10 years!!!!)

Years
    • Seen Apr 28, 2010
    I was 6 and it was pokemon Yellow, I had a basic idea of how to play because I knew a couple of people with red/blue.

Eon-Rider

An "Original" PC Supporter
    Years
    My first game was Pokemon Red and it took me over a year to finish. For the first two months, I stayed around Viridian Forest because I was too scared to go further because Weedle kept using Poison Sting and I didn't like it when my Pokemon fainted. Eventually I made it through and beat the game.

The Red Chain

The controls aren't exactly complex.. it wasn't really that hard to figure out. XD;
    I was a true blue gamer at that age, so I had know-how of basic controls to most GBC games already.

Teto

- - wobbuffan. ☆
    Years
    I remember that day well .. xD
    I got Red when I was like six, and this was one of my first games. You know how the doors look like rugs? Yeah, I didn't know how to get out. I got so mad and I had to get my dad to help me. xDD

Back