• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

When you hack, what do you do first?

masterquestmq

Enthusiastic Rom Hacker
Years
    • Seen Nov 19, 2023
    starts with the idea
    a pen and paper and a proper outline
    maps (rename wat to edit)
    ppl events
    trainers
    events
    and etc

Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2010
    First think of a good name (which took me 2 hours now! :S)
    and then edit the intro and titlescreen, then oak's intro, then maps 'n' tileinserting...

Ooka

[font=Maven Pro][color=#A75EE2]Cosmic[/color][/fon
    Years
  • I always start with the things you have to frequently make back-ups for, so if I mess up, I'm not that far in. So Titlescreen, in-battle graphics, sprites, stuff like that. Scripting and mapping the game is usually last for me.

Platinum Lucario

The Legendary Master of [color=#D8D48C]Light[/colo
    Years
  • What do I do first when I create my ROM Hack, eh? Well I would pretty much create the new tilesets, then work on the sprites, then start on the custom music, then start some ASM work (such as removing the motion of the truck in the intro of Pokémon Emerald, but I have to learn how to do it first), then start the mapping and scripting and make sure everything's in correct order.

For what I'm planing in the future... is Pokémon: Dimensions of Time.
    Which will be a hack of Pokémon Emerald. Ohh yes! Just to bring out that leaked information of my hack, I've only just started with the tilesets, so it's still far off in development. ;D

Years
    • Seen Aug 10, 2014
    First I decide what I want to do with the game. Hacking without a plan is meaningless, and the results tends to range from mediocre to awful.

When I finally start editing, the Oak intro is usually my first victim.

The Noob Hacker

Praise the sun.
    Years
    • Seen Jul 16, 2016
    I always start with an idea and a story. Before I even have the ROM I prepare quite a bit of the story, but due to some strange thing I do I usally already have a plan of the beginning and end of the hack, not sure why I always completly ignore the middle and any small event when I plan. In the next few hours/days/weeks while at home, in bed, or at school I think up new things.

Secondly, I start mapping. Due to my extensive planning I have general idea of the first few towns and routes. I usally base my maps and regions off of real places or just things I think are possible and cool.

I do my mapping in a specific way, only doing one town at a time. Once the town or route 100% done being mapped I script it. I never do anything else besides that one map that I'm currently focusing, less I start doing the last maps of the game before I am able to finish the first town.

I usally do spriting last or any time I'm bored/have a really good idea for a sprite that I most likely will forget.

Years
  • i think up of a story then i map it out. then after about 6 hours of straight mapping i start to edit the sprites cause its fun. then i get my friend to script for me

Equin

Got it memorized?
    Years
    • Seen Dec 14, 2010
    I just began making my first 'hack', but I tell you, the storyline...I didn't think of one at all.

After gazing at a new rom for like fifteen minutes, I started making a very shoddy map, just to get how it will look. Then a flash brought about the start of the story, and I made the starting Town. I think I'll just figure out the rest as I move on, I don't even know how to script properly yet.

This all means that I progressively progress, in a way.

dragoniteuser

The dragon master
    Years
  • Well of course, you have to start with the story. The more detailed, the better.
    Then I design all the scripts that affect the story. I try to make them as realistic as possible. Then come maps, which are already designed on a sheet of paper, according to some of the scripts.
    Sprites, insertations, all that comes later...

FlyaMence

Awesomeness
    Years
    • Seen Jul 10, 2011
    I start with editing the title screen then maps then trainers and elite 4 :)

Meta Paradox

Researching FireRed...
    Years
    • Seen Jul 18, 2011
    I think of a story, too, then I test scripts and all to make sure they'll work. When that's done, I import graphics. :D

DJCherryTempo

The Reserved Observer
    Years
  • Well, Im more along the lines of an editor than a hacker, but the first thing I used to do was change trade evolutions to Lvl 40 evolutions. Then I'd turn Splash into a Water type attack and then double Magikarp's Special Attack.

jabberjabber8

../\..
    Years
  • I would not start a hack without an idea so I guess that comes first, but get the tiles inserted then map town, route, town.

EdensElite

No0b, but getting there.
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen Jul 4, 2014
    I created most of the graphics, until I get bored and then I insert all the pokemon sprites :).

Back