• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

When you hack, what do you do first?

PeregrineFig

Starting Pokémon Obsidian
Years
I like to do everything as I get to it. Some people map out their entire hack at the beginning. I won't do this because it makes it harder to change my mind when I get that far, so I just start with the super-basic things like importing images and setting up pokemon stats, then I map and script as I go.

Coolboyman

Veteran Hacker
Years
For Brown and Prism I made an outline of the regions on paper, and figured out where everything would go. After that, I started making maps. The region map should always come before the town/route maps.

Years
I've just began hacking. The way I do it is coincidentally similar to Coolboyman's. I use paper and pencil and also figuring where places would go too. Differently, I will began mapping to where the first Beta will go, most of the time the beta will end near the 3rd gym. Then I will edit the trainer battles using A-Trainer. I then will edit texts and then I'll fix up some things. When I get more advanced into hacking and figure out more you'll be somewhat surprised what happens. The title of my first ROM Hack, I might make more than one, will probably be Pokemon Brightness Version if it isn't used yet.

Pokepal17

More cowbell~
Years
I usually plot out the storyline and then draw out a worldmap (which I probably never use). For the actual start on the rom, I work on the intro graphics and import tilesets.

Aljam

[i]Sweepin' ain't easy...[/i]
Years
For Brown and Prism I made an outline of the regions on paper, and figured out where everything would go. After that, I started making maps. The region map should always come before the town/route maps.

That is so true! I originally mapped like crazy then after i decided to draw the region. Everything was out of proportion (cause I make things bigger than they have to QQ)

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen today
I start off with the tiles. When I'm making them/inserting them/ adjusting their pals, I think about the storyline and the basic outline of the world map. XD I write the storyline details in a notebook so I can always remember them.

Then, I make the maps. And then the sprites etc. Scripting is final of course.

558122_DG

Learning how to make mistakes
Years
  • Seen May 27, 2021
I start to map,script and tile insert all at the same time i.e
First town done mapping, some of it scripted, and tree and mountain tiles inserted

Prolly not the best decision, but idc, as long as it comes out good in the end :D

Zeta Sukuna

Descendant of the Inchlings
Years
Really, I map everything out first. From routes, to towns, to cities, and to dungeons. But if you're talking the pre-planning, then I start with the plot.

.Missingno

Viridian City Gym Leader
Years
I Would Have to Agree with Nintendork15 The Maps Are What I Usually Do First A Few Times I Have Done Sprites first though

siper x

I'm Russia, Fear Russia
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Mar 29, 2023
i think of a story, then make maps for the beta/alpha.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Jan 4, 2011
1) I come up with a storyline.
2) I sketch a region map.
3) I decide where towns will go.
4) I make a pixel town map.
5) I make fakemon if they are going to be in.
6) I improve the storyline, map, and fakemon.
7) I make a map.
8) I make the scripts for this one map.
9) I make the Pokemon Prof. script.
10) Repeat steps 7 and 8.
11) Make thread when I get to beta or alpha time.

I've never gotten to step 10 or 11 sadly. Step 9 is hard, but I'm getting better!

Alignment

Revered with the stars
Years
  • Seen Dec 25, 2016
I come up with an awesome story, I grab the tiles, then map, then script, then move on to the next town/route, I post :P

NatureKeeper

I plan on plain paper. I plan the Elite Four, the story, puzzles, etc. Then I just whoop my work in a hack.

Poke_a_Dialga!

EXAMS TESTS AND EXAMS QAQ
Years
me? I plan my gym leaders and elite4, draw my region, then I draw my comic out ;)
Finished the comic, I start to do the hack with my comic's storyline

Zeffy

g'day
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Feb 7, 2024
Story first before anything. I have a notebook where I develop all my storylines for my hacks. I also draw the whole region and name the town and routes. That way, it'll be easy when I start to map.

destinedjagold

You can contact me in PC's discord server...
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Dec 23, 2023
Shouldn't it be HAY(How About You) instead of HBU...?

Anyways, before I began my hacks, I first thought of the game's storyline, history, rivals, evil team and their goals, legendaries and some other PKMN and their special roles, main character's story and goal, region name, gym leaders' names and their types and badge names and their special roles on a paper, before I implement everything on the ROM.

:)

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Oct 24, 2022
Shouldn't it be HAY(How About You) instead of HBU...?
"how 'bout you"

I like to basically do things however I'm feeling. Mapping tends to come first, because it needs to be done before other things like scripting. I usually don't insert tiles until after the map is done (or mostly done). If I'm feeling particularly emotional for some reason, I like to insert music.

I just jump around and do everything in a random order, really.

Back