• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

When you watch anime, do you tend to like the good guys or the bad guys?

AyuChan!

Indiana Ayu xP
    Years
    hrm... good question. It really depends on the anime. In Naruto, I hate all the bad guys, (with the exeption of Orochimaru... xD) In Dragon Ball Z, the Androids are my all time favorite characters o_0

EmeraldSky

Make the Colors in the Sky!
    Years
    It depends on their personalities and backstories. I tend to lean toward the heroes, unless they are not very well developed. On the rare occasion I like a bad guy, it is because they are well developed (and/or his/her way of taking over/destroying the world is original), good looking, and has a cool voice.

DavyJones4our

Man of the Sea
    Years
    Really depends on what the characters are like. I liked Majin Buu, but I also like Alucard and Mister. Some villains I can feel for, and same applies with the heroes/good guys/protagonists.

Lackey

Hi y'alls!
    Years
    Villains most of the time. There are only a few times in which I prefer the good characters over them, but that's only if they aren't all happy, annoying, sun-shiny type people. If I don't like a bad guy it is usually because they to me are more 'psycho' than really evil.

fade101

I rawr youu!!
    Years
    It really depends on the anime... for example i dont really wanna be team rocket coz they always end up losing... (some villains wins sometimes) And i like villains with better EVIL laugh, taking over the world plan, personality, motto, mobile suit and pretty much their hair lol!

LipstickTraces

I Am Nothing
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen Sep 17, 2011
    Theres nothing I like better than seeing a satisfactory ending with the good guys beating the bad guys. But I personally loved team rocket and the way they were with their boss (also because of Meowth) :P Well, even the bad guys have to have something to like about them, every anime program is designed that way.

Alakazam17

[b]Long time no see![/b]
    Years
    I tend to root for the good guys all the time. The bad guys are too....bad. XD

Though in my opinion Team Rocket aren't "bad guys," but rather "filler characters." The writers just can't bother to think up some good problems for the protagonists, so they just waste 30% of the episode with those three losers. ^^

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    When you say 'bad guy' and 'anime' in the same sentence, Koyori is the most menacing person that comes to mind, lol. Generally though, I end up liking everyone somewhat equally.

Hazuki

delenda est.
    Years
    • Seen Apr 20, 2011
    I guess it really all depends their personallity. Like if they have some kind of innocent past (Like um, their parents died or something.) or if they tend to be negative and later being positive, or positive all the time, I guess it really depends. Like for example, one of my favorite good guys is Drew. He tends to be negative at the beginning but later and later he gets to be a little positive.

And also with the bad guy, huh, that's hard I don't think I like any bad guys... Oh! Zero from Pokemon. (Yes all Pokemon D: ). His personallity seems quite intresting, since he makes all of this machinary and is quite, well, evil. I don't really know much of his personallity yet, but I might change my mind who knows.

Years
    Bad guy's are normally more interesting, but then the most part of the anime I watch doesn't tend to have good guy's or bad guy's...I mean like death note, Light can come across as a bad guy but he doesn't mean to be XP

But anyways, yes bad guy's are normally the more interesting, such as Gaara in thearly eps of Naruto and Alucard in Hellsing...working for the good side, but he's still Dracula XD

But don't get me wrong, good guy's are awesome too, Naruto prooved that in my oppinion XD

Trainer Kat

→ voodoo jungle d r u m s;;
    Years
    It...really depends. Not on the anime, but on the characters themselves. And...there's really no common thread between the characters I like. xD;

For example, Joichiro Nishi (Gantz) is perhaps my all-time favorite anime character, and he's...well, I wouldn't call him a bad guy, per-say, but he's certainly an antagonist (he fights alongside the good guys, but fights only for himself, having a Social Darwinist outlook. He also kills the occasional good guy xD;). He's not really...evil, though, just sort of an ass. xD Hajime (Gantz), however, is a complete psycho. As in, chases bums around with metal baseball bats and kills them, and then later sets up Saw-style traps for the protagonists. Yet he manages to be one of my favorites.

Yu-gi-oh, however, I always liked the good guys. Granted, I liked Kaiba even when he was an antagonist, Noah, and Rex, but they weren't really...bad guys, just people competing against Yugi. Noah's the only true villain I liked in the show.

I don't really watch enough anime to make many more comparisons than that, though. xD;

st.jimmy

ZOMG!
    Years
    • Seen Feb 27, 2015
    no matter what happens jessie and james deserve to steal a lot more pokemon than they do.

Aegis

The Savage Nymph
    Years
    It depends on the characters really. But, most of the time I find myself leaning towards the antagonists, at least in the beginning. The protagonists are usually really obnoxious at the start, and just make me want to punch them >:[ But, they usually get better as the series goes on, and I have been known to gravitate over towards the protagonists.

Years
    • Seen Jul 16, 2013
    When I read a manga, I'm always rooting for the antagonists, even if I fully know that the protagonists are gonna win. I'm always wondering what would happen if the bad guys got their way and what kind of direction the story would turn in.

MetalMEB

O_______O
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Apr 18, 2012
    I usually root for the good guys. Unless there's something in the good guy's personality that I don't like. (Like if the good guy's also a jerk, or something. Sometimes I dunno why I don't like the main character. Just something that about them that annoys me I guess =P)

But like... If I don't like the main hero then I don't just go right for the villains, I look for any secondary characters I might like. And if I don't like any of them then I might or might not start to like the villain. (But that also depends on the villain's personality too)

But if I don't like any of the characters, then I usually don't like what I'm watching... So yeah if there's no one I like in that anime then I might just stop watching.

Wish

No spoils for the meek.
    Years
    • Seen Feb 11, 2018
    Bad guys usually are more interesting and have more of a back story behind them. So I usually root for the antagonists to win. >D Even though they don't win in the end, I have my fantasies of destroying the protagonists >DDD -shot'd-

That's what it is usually, but it depends on character. Anime-wise, there tends to be mixed genres where either the Protagonist or Antagonist seems to be better and have more depth. So I have mixed views in conclusion.

Kenshin

SAN-CHAAAAAANNN!
    Years
    If there are two protagonists (Death Note) I'll go for the bad one. Unless the good one is really GAR (Death Note), then I go for both. And spoilers

If L got Light, I wouldn't have minded. But no, L COULDN'T HAVE GOTTEN LIGHT. JUST HAT TO BE THAT LITTLE NEAR LOSER, DIDN'T IT.

Back