• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

when your fave artists fail to deliver

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
  • It's probably happened to us every now and then. Have you ever been really stoked for a release from your favorite artist, only to be really disappointed with the final product? Or well, just going through their discography and discovering a turd among gems. They don't have to be shitty albums per se, but just something that stands out as being not as great among the others -- or it can be shitty. Vent if you need to. I'm all ears.

For me, I was really looking forward to Kings of Leon's Mechanical Bull back in 2013. They were building a lot of hype about the album and the drummer even said there was a song on there that 'is the love child of Crawl and Velvet Snow' which are two of my favorite tracks from them period. So needless to say, I was stoked so much in fact that I didn't even wait to get back home to go to Target to buy the album, I braved Walmart for it between classes. Did I like it? Well, yeah. I still like it. However there's something really disjointed about the whole album. It felt like quantity over quality (there are a shit ton of songs on there dude) and somewhat of a half-assed way to get back to their old sound. That's another thing, they were saying that was the aim of the album. And I should also mention their 2010 release, Come Around Sundown, was (and is, really) my favorite album of all time. Maybe the shoes were too big to fill. Maybe my expectations were too high? But it just didn't really cut it for me, aside from some really solid gems. But the album as a whole doesn't gel together. Some songs sound like they belong on a different album. Like they were leftover and didn't get released on time.

Well that's my rant on Mechanical Bull and honestly, I could say so much more -- and the thing is, I do not consider it a bad album by any means. But compared to their discography, it's the weakest. And with their recent release of WALLS, it stands out even more because WALLS is just so tight, short, and gets its point across.

I have other albums, but I'm going to save them for another post since this is already getting too long and this is just supposed to be a quick opening post...so much for that.

Margot

some things are that simple
    Years
    • they/he
    • Seen Apr 16, 2022
    The biggest disappointment I can think of off the top of my head is Imagine Dragon's second album Smoke + Mirrors. It wasn't bad, but none of the songs were clicking and it was sad since Night Visions is one of my all time favorite albums.

I'm also really not keen on anything Fleetwood Mac put out in the 80's. I also remember being really upset with Christina Aguilera's Bionic album back in high school. She was my favorite singer and I thought it was such a subpar follow to Stripped & Back to Basics. I don't think I've listened to anything else she has put out since then? Which is kinda funny.

nundo

Quick! Dance like an eggplant!
    Years
  • Had it with PartyNextDoor '3'. I don't know if there are some RnB fans here but his fame came with his first two albums. A nice voice, good production and instrumentals but when the third album came it was more like something Kanye West would release on his 'The Life of Pablo' album which was also dissapointing imo.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Coldplay crushed my heart with Viva la Vida. After X&Y had captured my soul and spirit, the next album just made me feel disgusted ); After a while I accepted some songs as alright though, but I couldn't love whole their albums anymore in the same way I had with X&Y and A Rush Of Blood To The Head.

Logan

[img]http://pldh.net/media/pokecons_action/403.gif
    Years
  • The biggest disappointment I can think of off the top of my head is Imagine Dragon's second album Smoke + Mirrors. It wasn't bad, but none of the songs were clicking and it was sad since Night Visions is one of my all time favorite albums.
    Yep, Smoke + Mirrors was average at best. I liked Polaroid and that was about it :(

Hands

I was saying Boo-urns
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen today
    Mine's less music but can we just all agree that Peter jackson should never direct another film again?

Years
  • gambino's new album :[ redbone is the only one i like and even that one i can't listen all the way through without skipping

Winter

[color=#bae5fc][font="Georgia"]KAMISATO ART: SOUME
    Years
  • Quite a number of my favourite artists/bands have such a strong debut that the album that comes after usually isn't as good and life-giving. :/

Years
  • Mumford and Sons' Wilder Mind was really, really disappointing. I know it's hard to keep up with expectations when you have such a good start, but the style change wasn't that good for them.

Back