• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Discussion] Where are we?

Years
    Tell me about the setting of your story. Is it an original world? If it isn't, how does it differ from the version that exists in the source material? What made you write it the way you did?

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
    It takes place in a sort of alternate version of Teyvat where the traveller either doesn't exist or just didn't wake up, but everyone is still in the same occupation they would be if he/she did. But, for me there is no singular static setting, since my main character goes from place to place depending on what his orders are for that particular section of the story. But his basis of operation is Snezhnaya in Teyvat (not by choice).

But, I try to use what knowledge I know about the unplayable regions in Genshin to my advantage, but embellishing it since we, for one thing, don't know what some of the maps even look like, so I take multiple creative liberties when the setting is Sumeru, Fontaine, Natlan or Snezhnaya with the itty bit of lore we do know, ie: Sumeru has a lot of deserts and rainforests, so for when the story was in Sumeru, I had it set in a rainforest. Natlan has volcanic activity, so I I say it's sweltering hot there (which could be canon), as well as Fontaine having fountains and being rich with water.

I'm limited with what I can do there, though.

For when the setting is Snezhnaya, I use the little bit of lore I have about the nation that was told by some npcs that are from there: Snezhnaya has month long blizzards, if you stand around you'll get frostbite and freeze to death, so I constantly say in the description paragraphs: "time is not a virtue in the permafrost north" as a callback to Childe saying in his voice lines, "where I'm from, if we stood around, we'd freeze to death, literally." So, I have to follow through on this as much as I can.

But, for the most part, almost all of the non-playable regions, I just have to do my own thing with as little available information to me as possible. But, the narrator breaks the fourth wall about it to say that in "an alternate version of Teyvat the area was not accessible to the general public" as a way to say it's not playable yet.

I deliberately chose for the "bases of operations" setting to be Snezhnaya. Honestly, a lot of the main fanfiction is in Snezhnaya for the sole reason it's not actually playable yet. I did this completely deliberately so I'm not limited to the playable maps. (Mondstadt, Liyue, Inazuma and Enkanomiya at the time of this post) So I can just do whatever I want. It'll be cool to see when all the regions are playable how either on or off the mark I was, or if I'm completely canon divergent. Time will tell.

So, I guess, in other words, I'm writing an alternate version of Teyvat where chimeras exist. But either The Traveller isn't in the story, but events either proceed without him/her or just don't happen, probably. (The Cataclysm and Archon War still happened, but the Traveler wasn't there for the Archon war anyway). This is a Genshin fanfiction, after all.

Last edited:

Bay

Years
    Foul Play takes place in the Alola region, which is based off Hawa'ii. Because of that I do try to incorporate a bit of Hawaiian culture and history in it. My other WIP takes place in fantasy Europe so the usual European mediveal stuff with magic and monsters featured in fantasy stories.

Vragon2.0

Say it with me (Vray-gun)
    Years
    I can't say Shattered Crests's setting is entirely original. It does take from the continent's concepts from PSMD and gives them different names and geographical locations. Albeit, this is where the similarities end since stuff like Titan Continents, World History, Forsaken Lands, etc. are all my own creations.

The PSMD continents in my world (or at least the ones based on those locations that are in PMD the series) are Triacal, Winthrobax, and Mextrein (though, funnily enough this one is different in PMD the series)

I wanted a world that felt very vast, mysterious, and unexplored a lot. A lot of the current civilizations are all sprawled in their own locations and various places, with some mons daring to settle in the Forsaken Lands or other places, but at risk of their instability and other factors. It helps cement why this region of the world is a big hot spot compared to others, since the more rural outlands or other Titan Continents would be hard to really pull in or care about affairs in the "Cradle of Creation" area.

Which, to be fair, the setting also has its big bits. I've been mentioning "Forsaken Lands" but the thing about these are is that they're very unstable, non-algined pieces of ground that sprawl over most of two of the Titan Contients. These two Titan Continents used to be one singular Titan Continent until Destiny Tower was destroy and that created a giant gulf between the two with major sea rivers flowing to it between the continents. The land also got severely cracked in those areas, causing very unstable and unaligned ground systems, making living there dangerous and potential for the ground to cave beneath you.

It makes normal land on these places very important and much more prime for aim, (Like Bermuda and why everyone guns for a piece of the pie there). I wanted this world to really reflect the state of things. Full of turmoil at the absence of the creator and unstable. Harmed and sowed with danger and opportunity at the hands of the mons and legends that reside in it. Though, there's much beauty in this world and places that were born from strife "The World's Spike" that holds an amount of awe for its existence.

There's a lot of history and thematic elements to why the world of Shattered Crests is the way it is. Both for Shattered Crests and Shattered Crests: The Brothers War (whenever I get to that) and I really hope it can be appreciated for adding to the story in ways that complement it.

ryu_gold

Gold Angel
    Years
    I'm thinking to create a new world like the earth gonna be destroyed by "missingno", the gods make a new world. a futuristic world. I think maybe could be good

CiCi

[font=Satisfy]Obsession: Watanuki Kimihiro and Izu
    Years
    • Seen Nov 24, 2023
    Ah man this is one of those posts, wherein I feel I want to write a whole novel about my stories, lmao. I will try to resist the urge and be more succinct.

Yvette's story takes place in a world where werebeasts exist, which are basically werewolves. It's a very watery sort of world, with a lot of boats and islands. These islands can often be inhabited solely by Behemoths, which are out-of-control titan-sized carnivorous werebeasts. Some of the boats that travel are slave traders, who take werebeasts to sell to other continents around the world for very rich collectors who have what are essentially zoos. There's also a gigantic volcano on one side of the globe that is responsible for most of the islands, and could destroy the world at any time.

Annie & Wilfred's and Six's story take place on a gigantic continent that has been destroyed through chemical warfare. As such, it's mostly desolate, highly radioactive, with pockets of mutated and/or gigantic wildlife. In some desolate places, there are lakes of chemicals from which mutant animals emerge. Two main factions fight it out over the continent, with another one that more or less sits on the sidelines and doesn't tend to get involved. That one, called Mist Tree, is a group of highly intelligent people who have recreated the land as it once was - perfect, untouched by chemicals, where the air is actually breathable due to all of the gorgeous foliage.

My Pokemon: Mecha fanfic is in what amounts of the real world but if Arceus was actually God. The Pokemon come from the Distortion/Shattered world and are extremely dangerous and resistant to typical human attacks (bullets, chemicals, fire, etc), which is why the Mechs needed to be created. The setting here is a lot simpler due to the story and characters taking over like 99% of what's being written, as opposed to other stories I write where the setting plays a much bigger part.

God I have too many stories all with either vastly different settings, or just small tweaks to the real world. I need to actually, like... Finish things >.> <.<

Back