• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

1st Gen Where did MissingNO. get its awful reputation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
Years
  • But then, you have to think, why would it save on stadium but not RBY itself? I assume Stadium does nothing more than run the RBY game on the TV, similar to an Emulator. Does it work differently?

Yes. Stadium is its own game, using a different cartridge and all. Unless you mean actually using the N64 to play the game on your television (as in, you're essentially seeing what you would be seeing on your Gameboy), it's still coded differently, so there may be some different glitches involved with that game's codes, just like there's different glitches in GSC. The only connection would be that you're porting Pokemon back and forth onto/through the N64.

(Edit: I've thought about it, and now I get what you mean. I'm still thinking the fact that you're doing it through Stadium might have something to do with it, as it doesn't happen within the games by themselves. So, if it does happen when you do things through Stadium -- although see my note below -- it might have something to do with the medium.)

Other than that, I really can't find any information stating that Missingno automatically saves on RBY specifically. Just that other, Missingno-like glitches do. Oddly enough, I can't find information that it does it on Stadium either, although again, I've found information that states that 'M does it (hence the quotes I've obtained above).

Last edited:

Improfane

hiatus
    Years
    • Seen May 24, 2010
    great posts above

Sorry Monzae for the following quotations ;) While they're not nested it makes my post large! Jax Malcolm certainly knows her stuff!
    Because the mess of pixels is a placeholder as well. Occasionally, you get actual sprites (e.g. Ghost Missingno), but more commonly, you'll get the garbage that's left in the slots that were never meant to be called up in a Pokemon encounter.
    However, I have to disagree with those pixels being the placeholder itself!
    It's been said; MissingNO. is placeholder data. There is a question that's been nagging me, though. Why the mess of pixels rather than some sort of proper sprite?
    The reason why you get the missingo sprite is because you're using data that isn't supposed to be an image as an image, hence you get an unintended sprite. This is unintentional. I think only the name 'missingno' is the placeholder. Everything else is read because it's there every time.

I haven't checked but if you looked in the memory for Pokemon ID 0 there should be no information there, hopefully only 0s/nulls. The only thing set should be its name: Missingno.

The reason why the graphics are so mucked up is that you have to remember that:
    • data stored in the RAM is just one continuous list of binary numbers.
    • Images are just numbers, ingame text is just (an indexed list of) font letter pictures.
    • If you read data as a letter you will get a letter. If you read data as a sound you'll get an awful sound*.
    • Gameshark (and its type of cheat system) works by modifying memory addresses to reproduce the results you want. The number you input is actually the offset from the beggining of the memory.

I think the reason why you get consistent Missingno sprites is that the overwritten data from the Old Man is the same every time. What Jax says makes sense: your name is put somewhere else for safe keeping while the game uses OLD MAN. When you force the game to read something that it isn't supposed to be reading, you'll get strange results. Explains why you get images in the hall of fame. Name data and the wild pokemon overlap at certain name character positions.

* I'm ignoring headers and the like, you cannot name a .PNG file a .WAV and expect it to play for example. On gameboys you don't have strict or the requirement of file headers.

Because the strip of land/water was never programmed for Pokemon data, although it was programmed to allow players to encounter wild Pokemon. Because the game doesn't know what to put there, it instead borrows data from the last area you've been in.

I didn't realise this previously, thanks Jax! The bug that causes this to work is that the tile on shores. The bug isn't the old man! The game shouldn't be reading that information to begin with. Those shores give a memory offset that points to the bogusdata the old man sets and previous battles set.

This enables people to manipulate them! Yellow probably fixes the bug by simply making shores give wild Pokemon, since this will fix the bug.

What a thought stimulating post!

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Nov 11, 2007
    Back in the day everyone who lived near me used the glitch where you could get loads of items, and no one had a corrupted game because of it.

Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Nov 9, 2021
    It could crash your game -_-;

I will never know why people get so emotionally involved in Pokemon to make a thread like this...

Har D Har

Master Mapper Supreme!
    Years
  • I am thinking that Nintendo spread the rumors that it erases your game. When I tell people I am a gritch hunter, many freak out and warn me about MissingNo. NEWFLASH!!! MissngNo. and 'M do not do any lasting damage do your game. Any and all effects can be removed in many ways. It really pisses me off.

fate

PK Awesome
    Years
  • Awful reputation? Pfft. MissingNO was the 1st gen's Arceus. With the ability to cause you to run into wild trainers, clone items, run into lvl200+ Pokemon.

He's a legend.

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
    Years
  • NEWFLASH!!! MissngNo. and 'M do not do any lasting damage do your game. Any and all effects can be removed in many ways.

Tell that to my poor items bag.

To the overall game, yeah, they don't do anything that would be passed on to a new game if you decided to restart. Not to my knowledge, at least. But to the current game you're playing, you run at a risk of doing all sorts of crap to it (even if it's a rare occurrence), and if you're stupid enough to save the game thereafter (like I was at that time), then there's not much you can do to fix it.

Also, thanks to Improfane for clearing up the bit about the messed up graphics. I wasn't sure about the specifics there. ^_^;

Har D Har

Master Mapper Supreme!
    Years
  • All the Missing-dude can do is mess with your hall of fame, battle sprites, and items. I always save after catching him, and I have no lasting side effects. The HoF can be fixed by beating them again, battle sprites are fixed by turning the power off and on after saving, and items are fixed by using them all. But the rumors of deleting data, that is bull$***. And that is today's word.

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
    Years
  • But the rumors of deleting data, that is bull$***. And that is today's word.

Although I very highly doubt that Nintendo itself would release rumors to scare people into avoiding messing with a glitch that would otherwise be harmless (considering the fact that, you know, the games are usually riddled with glitches of some sort or another and that they're not exactly actively speaking out against the use of devices like Gameshark, which essentially go into the game and screw with the hex too), here I'll have to say it depends on the data. Missing items and boxes of Pokemon have already been brought up, and yes, it happens on that level, although the occurrence of this is rare. (For example, the messed up item bag where most of my items became inaccessible happened once out of several hundred times that I've abused the Missingno/'M glitch.) Entire save files I have yet to encounter myself.

Har D Har

Master Mapper Supreme!
    Years
  • What i said was truthiness, and that, is why I am right. Just joking, but seriously, I have experimented with the gltich duo (MissingNo. and 'M) many times, and I know for a fact that neither can erase a safe file. Only a Superglitch move could do that, which neother can learn. Plus, superglitch can do anything.

Years
  • I am thinking that Nintendo spread the rumors that it erases your game.
    Come on, Nintendo isn't that cunning. I doubt they even knew about the glitch until people found it themselves, and if anything, those people were the one's claming it does erase saved games.

NEWFLASH!!! MissngNo. and 'M do not do any lasting damage do your game. Any and all effects can be removed in many ways.
    In reality, there's only one way, and that's starting a new game. The effects of MissingNO., such as messed up HOF data, and whatever else, aren't repairable unless you start the game over again.

(note that this is based off of my own personal experiences)

Improfane

hiatus
    Years
    • Seen May 24, 2010
    I remember phoning a Nintendo service to ask about why my Pokemon boxes disappeared. The service tends to be listed on the last page of Nintendo gamebody manuals.

They asked if I used a cheat or a glitch before hand. I said yes. They promptly said they couldn't support me if it was a cause of a cheat/glitch. Can't really blame them.

Thanks Jax, this is a great topic if you ask me. I've learnt things.

I am thinking that Nintendo spread the rumors that it erases your game.

It's physically impossible for missingo to damage the game code itself. You have to remember that the game code and your savegame are on different chips within the cartridge (or at least different areas, I really am not sure). One is read only memory, ROM and the other is writable, where you save the game. I think it's flash. Not sure.

The writable one is powered by the battery inside the cartridge. You can only modify the writable memory.

I know that you are talking about the savegame itself, not the game. The missingno glitch can bug up your game. At the very least we have proof it ruins your hall of fame. That's destroying data you originally had.

I can't remember if you can clean your hall of fame by redoing the league?

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
    Years
  • I can't remember if you can clean your hall of fame by redoing the league?

Alas, you can't. If you go through the E4 gauntlet again, it'll just add more pages to the messed up HoF. At least, if you've encountered 'M instead of Missingno (although it might happen for Missingno as well). If I remember correctly, the cap was thirty for some odd reason, so if you didn't use the Missingno glitch again and went through the challenge thirty more times, the 31st time will produce normal Hall of Fame pages. (I don't remember exactly if it's thirty times, but I do know that eventually, you'll be seeing normal Pokemon.)

And it is an awesome topic. =D

Smarties-chan

Should've had that name change
    Years
    • Age 22
    • Seen Sep 12, 2015
    All the Missing-dude can do is mess with your hall of fame, battle sprites, and items. I always save after catching him, and I have no lasting side effects. The HoF can be fixed by beating them again, battle sprites are fixed by turning the power off and on after saving, and items are fixed by using them all. But the rumors of deleting data, that is bull$***. And that is today's word.
    Please do not bypass the censor as it's against the rules here; if you can't say something without swearing don't say it at all.

Years
    • Seen Aug 3, 2010
    My opinion is that even trying to get Missingno is a waste of time. If you want to be a good Pokemon Master, then you play the game fair and square, and don't use cheats unless you need to. If you have Missingno currently, start over, and next time, don't pull any glitches unless it's the Mew Glitch.

Years
    • Seen Sep 5, 2023
    My opinion is that even trying to get Missingno is a waste of time. If you want to be a good Pokemon Master, then you play the game fair and square, and don't use cheats unless you need to. If you have Missingno currently, start over, and next time, don't pull any glitches unless it's the Mew Glitch.

I laughed heartily at this sentence. "Don't get a Pokemon that isn't a real cheat, but do try and cheat to get an extremely powerful pokemon that you can't get any other way."

boo836

I'm back?
    Years
    • Seen Nov 4, 2009
    Jb, what you just said was basicly don't abuse glitches, abuse them.:p

Years
    • Seen Sep 5, 2023
    Jb, what you just said was basicly don't abuse glitches, abuse them.:p

Mew is way more abusive than MissingNO. will ever be. Unless you count the "lol hey guys I just figured out how 2 clone masterballs 10 years late" 2nd graders that just figured out how to spell Pokemon.

Game Freak

Pokémon Executive
    Years
    • Seen Feb 10, 2009
    You don't save your game after catching it, and you should be fine. What's really bad is when you catch an M and send it to the PC...

Dun dun dun dun dun dun dun dun dun dun...

The box crashes and you can't get into any of that box. You need to remove M with Pokemon Stadium 1 or 2 to get rid of it. This has been known to much more occasionally happen with MissingNo. M is far more dangerous in my opinion.

I saved my game with 2 missingno on it. One i used the missingno rare candy glitch on, and put it in my box. The other one i just released right after i caught it. This was on my red version about 8 years ago. I just released my lvl 100 one last month. The only thing that got corrupted is my hall of fame, which claims Mew was in it o_O along with all these other pokemon ive never been in the hall of fame with. The only pokemon i ever used in the elite four is my lvl 100 hitmonchan, 100 charizard, and 100 snorlax.

oh, and in another glitch, ive heard if you drop a pokemon in your box and let it sit there (at level 100, mind you), it will level up. I have had this happen with a Snorlax, where it went from 100 to 224, but when i took it out, it dropped back to 100. huh?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back