• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Where do DragonBallZ movies fit in?

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years
    DragonBallZ is a great series, but when I watch the movies, I wonder, "where do they fit in with the series?". Dead Zone happens before DBZ but after DB. The Tree of Might is a good example. Goku knew Kaioken and Spirit Bomb (Genki Dama), so it had to be after he came back to life (the first time), he wasn't super saiyan, so that means before Namek, but Yamcha, Tien, Chaotzu, and Piccolo were there, and they were dead when Goku came back to life, so it would have to have been before Raditz came, but Goku didn't know Kaioken or Spirit Bomb (Genki Dama)then, so it doesn't fit in, and I think that's due to it's lack of fillers, it only has a couple. So what do you think?

Gummy

by fire be P U R G E D
    Years
    I think DBZ has no specific timeline and the creators just did whatever they liked. I recall King Kai mentioning something about Super Saiyans long before Namek.

deadmuffin

the tenacious demon
    Years
    dont even try to put them in order or to fit because you will just find a paradox in another movie....so stop

Zeta Sukuna

Descendant of the Inchlings
    Years
    The only ones I can place are the Broly Trilogy. Broly 1 before the Cell Games, 2 and 3 are likely after Boo, Bojack, which is after Cell, Cooler's Revenge, which is during the three years before the Androids, Janemba, and Hildegarn are after Boo, Dead Zone, which is between DB and DBZ, and the OVA, which is also before the Cell Games. The rest, I'm confused on.

BHwolfgang

kamikorosu
    Years
    I can never fit anything together.

True, there was only a few fillers, but I think the fans demanded more action?

Phanima

That servant of the evil one
    Years
    • Seen Oct 11, 2011
    The DBZ timeline is so full of plotholes that ignoring its universal logic is probably a good idea. From what I can tell, here's how most of the movies roughly fit in:

Dead Zone: Should be prior to the Saiyan Saga before Raditz arrived.

The World's Strongest: Post Saiyan Saga (due to Goku being able to use Spirit Bomb) but I'm unsure whether it was before/during the Freiza (Namek) Saga. They're seen on Earth so I assume it's before Namek, but then again, Goku's already healed which conflicts with the episode timeline. D:

The Tree of Might: Also, unsure whether this movie took place before the Freiza Saga seeing as how Goku can again use Spirit Bomb and still has his tail.

Lord Slug: Again, before the Freiza Saga. Still no hint to Goku turning Super Saiyan, plus Gohan still has his tail.

Cooler's Revenge: A more definite placed movie and should have fit in after the Freiza Saga, seeing as how Goku defeated Freiza and Cooler intends to reclaim his family's honour. Plus, Goku can turn Super Saiyan, so that's a given.

The Return of Cooler: Post Android Saga but before the Cell Saga. Goku and Vegeta can both turn Super Saiyan yet Gohan can't, which I assume should have occured during his training in the Hyperbolic Time Chamber in preparation for the Cell Games.

Super Android 13: Somewhere during the Android or Cell Saga, or else in between. Again, both Goku and Vegeta go golden and Future Trunks makes an appearance.

Broly: The Legendary Super Saiyan: Pretty much around the same time (before/after) Super Android 13.

Bojack Unbound: Should have taken place after the Cell Saga since Gohan is able to turn Super Saiyan 2 and because Goku is already dead. But from what I've seen, it's shown that Gohan reaches Super Saiyan 2 in the movie, which conflicts with the episode timeline. Again. Dx

Broly: Second Coming: Goten, Trunks and Videl's first movie appearance and in which both Saiyans are able to go Super. They're also searching for the dragonballs and occured wither before Goku taught them how to fuse or after Goku's one day return to Earth. Either way, this movie should have taken place during the Buu Saga.

Bio-Broly: Should be right after Second Coming. Episode-wise, it should have occured after the World's Martial Arts Tournament during the Buu Saga, as Android 18 can be seen with Hercule.

Fusion Reborn: Not really sure when this movie took place. Assuming Goku is in Heaven and Vegeta in HFIL, it should have squeezed in after Second Coming or Bio-Broly. :S

And that's all I've watched/know of the movies. I'm 100% sure I've got them wrong but with the myriad of canon plotholes already, it won't come as much of a surprise.

Years
    Well, I dunno...I mean, look at the Broly movies. The second one takes place while they are gathering the Dragon Balls during the Buu Saga...but the third one takes place immediately after the World Martial Arts Tournament, which was BEFORE they began gathering the Dragon Balls. And yet, Trunks and Goten know Broly, and they recognize that one guy from the previous movie...so I have no clue.

dont even try to put them in order or to fit because you will just find a paradox in another movie....so stop
    Yeah, that pretty much sums it all up xD

Last edited:

Cheshire

nite-owl loves to party
    Years
    • Seen May 22, 2009
    The only dragon ball movies that fit into the manga timeline are Bojack and super dragon fist explosion.

Years
    • Seen Oct 13, 2010
    in the history of fusion reborn goku is dead but before that in majin buu saga he was alive
    it's very strange...

Back