• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Where does this generation rank among your favourites?

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
Years
  • It started out a little mediocre, because DP don't have very good gameplay. But Platinum and HGSS made it top tier.

The setting is by far my favorite. I love Sinnoh, the music, the areas and many of the Pokémon. HGSS complements it very well and the remake is very aesthetically pleasing.

The only issue I have is that they left everything too slow for my taste. DP in particular can feel very sluggish. It's also difficult to get some of the fancier Pokémon in most of the games due to convoluted evolution methods and limited item availability.

Diamond gets props for being the only game in which you can catch a Murkrow close to the beginning and use it all the way to the end.

GiovanniViridian

A World Of Pain!
    Years
    • Seen Sep 29, 2023
    D/P is probably ranked the lowest for me since I find it more of a highly potentially great game with wasted flaws, but I read that Platinum fixed most of the flaws in the D/P games so it should probably be higher up for me.

HG/SS should be in my Top 3 favorites since it is the first Pokemon game that made me love Pokemon even more, since the previous games for me are satisfying for me but HG/SS managed to make that satisfication multiplied by 5.

LadyVenus

Team Cipher
    Years
  • Seeing as how I've never played any of the Sinnoh games and have only played HG/SS, I'd list it as my third favorite generation! ^^ I do adore those G/S remakes.

noa

sleeping cutie
    Years
  • First. Forever and for always. Nothing will top the way I felt when playing this gen.

Years
    • she/her
    • Seen May 23, 2023
    The fourth generation was my absolute favourite, hands down. I think a lot of it was that it was the first generation I experienced but it's also one of the best in terms of enjoyment, pokemon and gameplay. I made some of my best friends in real life through sitting with them at lunch and talking about the fourth generation or pretending we were in the pokemon universe and I don't think that could have happened if I'd only had knowledge about the pokemon movies or hadn't taken an interest in getting Pokemon Platinum for my 8th birthday.

As for the games itself, I absolutely adored most of the new pokemon from D/P/Pt. There were a few questionable ones like Burmy or Purugly but there were also some fantastic ones like Luxray, Staraptor, Honchkrow, Leafeon, Gallade and tons of others. I loved the graphics of both D/P/Pt and HG/SS whilst the storylines were also really interesting. I loved D/P/Pt's plot, post game content and characters withBarry, Looker and the rest of the crew. The music was also great and I really enjoyed how challenging the games were. I've logged well over 500 hours on Platinum and I honestly don't regret one bit of it!

I also really love HG/SS - the follow me feature, being able to replay G/S/C in a whole new way, everything about it was fantastic and I loved it as much as D/P/Pt. I wish they'd kept features such as the Underground but it was still neat. But yeah, fourth generation is definitely my favourite by far!

Mochika Rage

sickening, no?
    Years
    • uk
    • Seen Oct 1, 2017
    Fourth generation is probably second in my favourite generations, first being third generation with Emerald. I really like DPPt, and the music, and just everything. HGSS was also really good, and to be honest I can't find a problem with either of them.

Years
    • Seen Jan 2, 2016
    I love Diamond and Pearl for one key important aspect. their Starters actually look good. I was seriously concerned with the starters in Gen 3, because i seriously thought they all looked like crap. The only one that looked great was Torchic and somehow, the evolution was misleading.

How can a Pokemon that looked like a flying type, would suddenly become a more humanoid fighting type? Ughhh....

But no, Gen 4 is a great title, i think its up there. I didn't appreciate it as much back then, but i do now. I still feel nostalgic about the previous Gens, but not enough where it clouds my judgement.

Kaiyu

Has officially quit PC
    Years
    • Seen Nov 19, 2016
    This generation is rank three on my list of favorites.

Riften_Seeker

From Riften
    Years
    • Seen Sep 14, 2016
    Ranks at the top for me. Favourite generation, just too bad the next one made after was nowhere near as good.

Years
    • Seen Feb 5, 2023
    My favorite generation is Johto! However, Gen 4 really did have some badass Pokemon like Infernape, Electivire, Darkrai and Lucario. Plus it had the freakin' creator of Pokemon, Arceus.

1.) Johto
    2.) Kanto
    3.) Kalos
    4.) Sinnoh
    5.) Unova
    6.) Hoenn

Years
    • Seen Sep 7, 2023
    Generation IV is probably my second favorite right behind generation III. I like the music and the Pokemon designs especially. Sinnoh was also diverse climate wise as it had a snowy region. I also fondly remember playing Heartgold as well as Platinum.

Back