• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Where is Isshu? Confirmed - New York

Where is Isshu?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

MistahDude

Primate Pokemon Master
Years
  • It doesn't end in a swirl it starts in a swirl

"End and Start" are subjective.

Something doesn't have to be exactly the same if it is BASED off of something.

Shanghai and New York both have a lot of similarities with Isshu, but Shanghai fits the landscape better. New York is nothing but buildings, no mountains, deserts, ruins or anything. Just buildings after buildings after buildings.

Lets compare other generations:

Kanto:
    Spoiler:

Does Kanto look exactly alike its Real World counterpart? No it doesn't, in fact it has a lot of differences. That is why the Pokemon Kanto region is BASED off of the real world Kanto region. If they just base it off something they can make it however they want as long as its not too different than the base.

Last edited:

rocky505

<Now who's awesome!
    Years
  • Learn history there were mountains around New York in the past. You just keep comparing it to the New York of present and not the past.

Years
  • THat is picture put up there when is blog first started which was a good few years ago. that is for his english blog. and he hasnt wrtten anything on the blog for like a year or something.
    I see, thanks for clearing that up for me.

I'm not offending anybody, I'm expressing my opinion.

It bothers me because it is a Japanese game made for a Japanese audience, and that should not be taken for granted. The original games saw extended release because of the popularity of the Anime outside of Japan, thus we should feel privelidged that we get an English language release at all.

Now, if you need it in simple terms, the point I'm trying to make is this. By basing a new region outside of Japan, if I were a loyal Japanese player of the games I would feel betrayed. They were created primarily for the Japanese, and I would feel that the company is neglecting the roots of the franchise just to satisfy the egos of SOME American players, and to perhaps gain more mainstream popularity.

My second point is that, as I have stated many times, there are SOME American players who will see it as japan recognising America's superiority over everybody else, including Japan itself. And, at the risk of bordering on political themes, that is wrong because all races, nations and people are equal, and shouldn't be judged on size or wealth.

My third point would be, why base it on an American area specifically? If the region is going to be based on an area outside of Japan, what about the other nations, and by extension cities, that play the games? What about the areas of this world that express magical natural beauty that would be perfect for a game based on capturing animals?

I just feel that it is tragic that, if Isshu is indeed based upon NYC, they have alienated the loyal players that don't reside in the US and have betrayed their loyal domestic players in Japan, all because they feel the need to adhere to the fact that America and Americans are superior to everybody else. there's nothing wrong with being patriotic, in fact I encourage it, but there is a line.
    Whether it turns out to be New York, Shanghai, or someplace else, Isshu is still ultimately its own place. I really don't see how someone can feel betrayed for GF basing a region off a different area in this big wonderful world anyways. Did Japanese fans feel betrayed when they based Altomare off Venice, or when they based LaRousse city off Vancouver. Or maybe something that's actually in the games, like how they based Sootopolis of Santorini. Does exploring new places, and seeing the world simply not appeal to you? I really find this sort of confusing. I have no idea how GF basing Isshu off New York points to America's superiority.

People, people, people... All of you are blowing this all out of proportion! Does it really even matter where the hell the regions based on? Its a game for like children and maybe a some teenagers (adults may be hardcore fan but its not targeted for them :\) It's not like a 10 year olds gonna really care where its based on!
    I wouldn't be suprised if they just made this whole region up outta scratch...
    This is what I think, I think they are putting loads of different areas of the world into one region like the big wheel (london eye) and the bridge thingee (new york was it?)
    Honestly, there's no real point for you being in this thread if your just going to tell people to stop discussing the thread's topic. :/

you have no proof of that meanwhile others have collected proof for shanghai =\

Less ignorance, please.

Last edited:

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • They've never done that in four generations. But I guess there's a first time for everything... Hmm, they have added a type in the four generations, so a Light type would be more likely.

They can base something off a land area but they don't have to use the cities. They can use cities from another area as a base.
    Myles, Mistah is right, they did this with Hoenn's Sootopolis city, which is based on a famous town in Greece so why not add NYC and mix it up with Shanghai ;)

JP

wut?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 13, 2019
    It doesn't matter whether its a famous city or not, and it doesn't offend me. It just irks and shocks me that the company are selling out their loyal, domestic audience so badly whilst neglecting others and desperately trying to please the egotistical American pseudo-overlords.

Wait what? Haha, basing a fictional region off of a different nation than your own is "selling out their loyal, domestic audience"? That's ridiculous. I absolutely can't see how that's selling out. It's possible they simply got tired of basing their regions off of Japan and thought they'd try something new. I highly doubt it's to appeal or please Americans. Nintendo/GF/Pokemon in general have no need to appeal to America, did you happen to see the sales of HG/SS in America during the release month? It was rather large. Certainly something as small as this has nothing to do with pleasing an American audience.

rocky505

<Now who's awesome!
    Years
  • Another reason but not too helpful. THere was a Pokemon Center in New York, But it is like a Nintendo Store now. I don't think there was a Pokemon Center in Shanghai since I have never heard or read about one.

Years
  • Wait what? Haha, basing a fictional region off of a different nation than your own is "selling out their loyal, domestic audience"? That's ridiculous. I absolutely can't see how that's selling out. It's possible they simply got tired of basing their regions off of Japan and thought they'd try something new. I highly doubt it's to appeal or please Americans. Nintendo/GF/Pokemon in general have no need to appeal to America, did you happen to see the sales of HG/SS in America during the release month? It was rather large. Certainly something as small as this has nothing to do with pleasing an American audience.
    I think they stopped using Japan so they could use them later on for the last pokemon games...you know the old saying, things go around they come around ;)

JP

wut?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 13, 2019

I think they stopped using Japan so they could use them later on for the last pokemon games...you know the old saying, things go around they come around ;)

Haha, that's possible as well. I'm just saying I doubt they "sold out" to appeal to an American audience. :P

Years
  • Haha, that's possible as well. I'm just saying I doubt they "sold out" to appeal to an American audience. :P
    I don't think so either but if it is NYC is would boost some American fan's egos but not all of us American fans though it would be a nice tribute...hope it's not ruined with all the gloating if it is NYC :P

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 17, 2023
    Another reason but not too helpful. THere was a Pokemon Center in New York, But it is like a Nintendo Store now. I don't think there was a Pokemon Center in Shanghai since I have never heard or read about one.

Ah right because all cities with a PokéCenter in a fantasy world must have one in the real world too :3

They already said that Isshu is very far away. So that knocks Japan off the list.

This isn't entirely true. People are saying that it can't be in Japan because they assume that the regions are located in the same places are their counter parts.

However if this is true then Ash must travel through a lot of uncharted land to get from one place to another in the anime.

Also geography says each of the in-game maps should have the top the normal North-East-South-West angles which also throws this proposal off.

------

Isshu draws inspiration from all over the place, logically I'd say it has more in relation with Shanghai. Not necessarily because of the bridge and general shape (which is convincing) but culture wise.

China has a lot of "monster culture" in terms of Cartoons that have a similar idea to Anime like Pokémon, Digimon, etc, as well as the ancient culture that we sometimes see in Pokémon.

Also, the contrast of Old vs New in the version exclusive towns may be referring to Ancient China vs Industrialised China, two things China is very well known for.

DemonicDee

PokéDevil
    Years
  • They already said that Isshu is very far away. So that knocks Japan off the list.

Its very far away, yes, but that may be only relavent in the world of Pokemon, they could still use japan, plus, if you were to walk from the top of japan to the bottom i suppose it could be considered "Far away"
    -Dee

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
  • I know this thread has been merged into the main Isshu thread plenty of times but since it's gotten to two pages and it's been brought up so many times, I'm just gonna leave it out. :s It probably makes more sense as a stand-alone thread anyway.

orange discontent

pogeymans?
    Years
  • Its very far away, yes, but that may be only relavent in the world of Pokemon, they could still use japan, plus, if you were to walk from the top of japan to the bottom i suppose it could be considered "Far away"

Since they start at route 1 and not route 301, it's likely it's very far away. Care to say what region of Japan Isshu looks like?

rocky505

<Now who's awesome!
    Years
  • IMO it looks like there is only room for about 2 more regions in Japan. They had to ditch Japan for something new. They even said this gen would be a rebirth or something like that. That means new pokemon (That have nothing to do with Past ones), New area for the region and many more things.

Azure-Supernova

Trainer of mediocre Champions!
    Years
  • Learn history there were mountains around New York in the past. You just keep comparing it to the New York of present and not the past.

Ah yes; and over the past 200 years America got rid of these mountains how? And if we truly are referring to a past 'New York', then the resemblance to Isshu would be even less, correct?

incognito322

let's look towards the future!
    Years
  • @ Azure-Supernova: Actually that would almost solidify the idea that it is based on the NYC Area (I have to correct myself; I'm not implying all of isshu is based on NYC). New York City's infringement on the once serene environment is a bit obvious. (Again not saying any other city doesn't have this issue)

And I despise the remarks about Americans being egotistic... lol I'm sure you can find someone like that in any nation. Personally the games wouldn't be any different if they were based on Mars. And if they were based on the US? Well great! It doesn't matter to me either way. Yes I believe the NYC area is similar to Isshu, and there may be some discrepancies, but hell, Fukuoka is the largest city on Kyushu and if you take a look at Rustboro City you laugh.

Scorpio219

PM me for custom banners
    Years
    • Seen Jun 9, 2013
    lets please not forget that one of the released pokemon is a eagle with a native american head sorta and the US colors, it helps support the new york theory, but it does in my opnion look more like shenghai

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back