• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Which 5th gen would you like to have as a starter ?

Years
  • Hi,

In all the pokemon games you have to choose a starter : Fire / Grass / Water. In the fact, is there anyone who can say to me the reason of this ? (I play since a short time, but I don't find "why all the starter are Fire / Grass / Water types.

I think it's too bad. I am ok with the fact that we don't start in ice country or near the central. But Ash started his journey with an electric.

If you could choose an other type which one do you take ?

Myself, I hesitate :

Klink or Pawniard or Joltik

Thank you ;)

Excuse me if a similar thread already exist, I didn't find it when I search.

Years
  • If I could pick from the 5th gen I'd probably go with Sawk or Dwebble, out of the pokémon I've used they've proven to be invaluable so it would've been nice to do the journey from the start with one of them :)

Years
  • Sawk is a reliable pokemon. I've one in my team. It's a good pokemon for sure.

Dwebble, I avoided him in my first part. I trust your judgment to know if it's really worth it. But I am not sure about his capacity. I check if he has good mooves.

It could be interesting to play with another pokemon than usual starter to change our pleasure. Two trainers are not the same and starting a journey with a pokemon that you like is best for your progression.

Thanks for your answer

Last edited:

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
    Years
    • Seen Oct 3, 2016
    Instead of picking an individual Pokémon, I'll pick a type.

Ice is one I like. The problem is Dragon types always show up late, as they should because they are the most mythical type of Pokémon.

Electric...sure, if I got Pikachu. That would be fun.

Psychic I like because it takes out Fighting types as if they didn't have feet.

I really don't know if any of these individually would stand out, or any of the other 11 types. Steel would never become a starter, it's resistant to too much. Dragon is the same, it's only strength is on other Dragons and weak to Ice. The rest are fair game.

Cyclone

Years
    • Seen Oct 12, 2020
    I would like to start my journey with my favourite Pokemon, either deino or larvesta. I would be a lot more psyched up playing the game. The only downside is that they take a long time before they would evolve, which sort of sucks.

Years
  • If I couldn't choose my beloved Oshawott, I'd go with my second fave type - Psychic.

I'd pick an Elgyem or Gothita to be my partner since they are so cute.

Years
  • I know that Steel or Dragon type are Strong. But I never said that the game should be easy.

In programming it's possible to do :

if player take an ice pokemon, the AI shall be at this level.

if player take an ice pokemon, the AI shall be at this level.

We could start in different town. I think it's pity to have only one town to start (just like if we went to be a trainer, we must were born in the town of Keteleria).

@ Bourne-mouth : Deino I had one in my first party but, I was a little surprise (it's strange to have a dragon sensible to bug type). :D

Larvesta, is a cool pokémon. I started my new party with Osahwott and I receive a Pansear as fire pokemon near the first gym. But he is really too bad and I waited to find another fire to replace him. (With your help, I find).

It seems to me that we receive this pokemon in egg or it's a mistake... ? I don't remember exactly where we receive this egg (If it's right) but I think it's not now... (I'm on Road 4 :'( ).

@ Hikari10 : I don't use a psy pokemon in my last party but in the new, I took a munna (really good to catch my sawk but he's slow... very slow...) Level 23 stats 72 HP. Att 20. Def 26. Spe Att 39. Spe Def 32. Spd 17.

Once I have a fight pokemon, I think if I had to choose, I pick a solosis.

I don't think about it, but in my last party I wanted a Golett. I thing it's a cute pokemon.

Last edited:

Ice Car

Banned
    Years
  • 2 trainers are not the same and starting a journey with a pokemon that you like is best for your progression.

Small nitpick: You don't start sentences with numbers. If you start a sentence with a number, type or write out the number. (saw your signature)

OT: Joltik. I <3 COMPOUND EYES THUNDER

Years
  • Thanks for your advice, I edit my wrong sentence.

Joltik is a cute and strong pokemon.

In each generation, I like pokemon like him (spinarak, ningale,...). To me, he is The most beautiful.

With Compoundeyes it's simply hapiness.

Grif of Hearts

Que sera sera~
    Years
  • The reason that the starters are always Grass/Fire/Water is because they're balanced. It's a game of rock-paper-scissors. Fire beats Grass, Grass beats Water and Water beats Fire. It's a type of relationship that few other typings share. The closest I can think is a Psychic/Dark/Fighting set of starters, which would be perfectly acceptable of course. The only difference is that Dark is immune to Psychic type attacks rather than being resistant to it.

I suppose that Munna would make a pretty good starter Pokemon. I happen to love Munarsha's design, and it makes a good defensive Psychic type. I can imagine that, following on with the Psychic theme of Munna, that Solosis or Gothita would make good starter Pokemon. They both have three forms which evolve through training alone, as opposed to items or trading. Plus, they evolve first at level 32 and then again at level 41. That's not too far off of the regular starters, I suppose.

Years
  • That's true... at the beginning of the game, you can talk to a girl who offer to you a little game (fire - water - grass) as a Rock-Paper-Scissors and they talk about wining or loosing type...

But the starter type is interesting if you have one or two rival(s). If you are alone; there is no need to have a better and lower type than your.

So, it's true that some pokemon have two types (dark steel; rock water;...) and their weaknesses are different than another pokemon...

Druddigon is just Dragon and his weaknesses are Dragon and Ice.

Hydreigon is Dark and Dragon, his weaknesses are Dragon and Ice, plus the Fight and Bug type... But he has a compensation with a immune to psychic.

It will be great to have choice for our starting town. (I'm not sure everybody take the dragon town because it's hard to train). It would be a simple, but effective, means to extend the life of the game.

Each player could really play as he(she) want.

And as I said, the game difficult could be harder with a ice or dragon type than a fire/grass type...

Thank for you answer. I see better now why we have this type for our starter.

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
    Years
  • A Zorua.

It would be fun to have the three starters as Zorua, Riolu, and whatever Gen III Pokémon equivalent to them. It's an idea for a hack!

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
    Years
    • Seen Oct 3, 2016
    A Zorua.

It would be fun to have the three starters as Zorua, Riolu, and whatever Gen III Pokémon equivalent to them. It's an idea for a hack!
    That covers Psychic and Dark. We just need a Fighting type to complete a triangle. I smell a hack coming somewhere someday...

Cyclone

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Personally I think Lilipup/Purrloin/Patrat would've been a nice combination. They're the three you find early on, and with the monkey it'd make the first gym leaders a lot easier to face. n_n I'd choose Lillipup obv! But uhhh only issue is no third evolutions, so possibly if you gave Purrloin and Patrat evolutions then it'd be fineee.

Years
  • To have a starter pokemon like them, is not really useful, because as you said we can find them eraly. It's just like if we had a starter near our home.

This trinity is interesting before the 30s level. After they are useless. But I understand your choice.

I'm thinking about it, Why would we be forced to have a perfect trinity ? The story about rivalry is just for fun. The rivals aren't useful in the game. He brings nothing more to the story. And even if we keep the rival. Nothing forces us to have complementary pokemon.

Why not Bug - Electric - Ice ? or another one it's just an example.

So, don't be shy, say all what you want ;)

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
    Years
    • Seen Oct 3, 2016
    To have a starter pokemon like them, is not really useful, because as you said we can find them eraly. It's just like if we had a starter near our home.
    This is a thread of theory. Of course, if the Pokémon in question were starters, they would be rare and not found in the wild in the same way the 15 actual starters are not found.

Cyclone

Perico

Ripper
    Years
    • Seen Jun 12, 2022
    A Zorua.

Totally agree!

I want to start my game with a Zorua! (In fact, that's what I did in Black. I got a Zorua egg in White and sent it to Black. So I started with Snivy and Zorua at the same time LOL.)

Years
  • Yes, I didn't think like this. If we have a patrat, of course, we don't find him in the grass near our house.

It's the evidence that there is no similar trainers. ***It consolidates my feeling that to allow to have the other starters would allow to improve largely the quality of the game and its life expectancy***

(*** the sentence between *** is really freestyle and I think I made some syntaxes errors but I'm too tired to check).

That's interesting make an egg of the starter you want in white or black and trade it in the other game... (sorry if I'm impressed, but I'm new in pokemon world and I try to obtain some automatisms). But it's not impossible for the programmer to allow us to choose our starter. I discovered a fan game (in french and not finished. They are some bugs, the story is not complete and all the town are not finished) who allow us to have différents starters according to the actions which we make before obtaining our pokemon. (in this game, we don't live in the same town than the professor and we have to go on a certain road to meet the assistant who transport us with fly to the professor house).

This game don't contain the 5th gen. But I could have a tropius / an Elekid / a Magby / ... (and some others that I don't discover). Obviously, you have also the starters of the gen 1 to 4. But not necessarily together.

I say you can have the choice to pick a shinx / a squirtle / a torchic... The choice is modified by our actions. (number people we talk to; number road we try to go before going keep our pokemon; number of items we pick up;...).

If a fan can do this, a programmer who work on the original support can make the same things... ^_^ It would be great.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jun 29, 2019
    I would have just Tirtouga and Archen as the starters tbh since it would be more about what kind of playstyle to choose from rather than type advantage, would make for a refreshing change of pace imo.

Years
  • To start with fossilized pokemon would be really cool I hadn't thought about that.

To be honest with you, during my first party on pokemon Black and White, I didn't have pleasure. I played to this game as my first pokemon game. And I was disappointed. But I played to HG/SS and I take some pleasure thus, I come again to Black and this time, I better understand what all people are waiting for from me. I have to go... to take my DSi power supply, to continue my game.

See you soon. I'll read all of your answer later. ;)

Thank you.

Back