• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Which came first?

Status
Not open for further replies.

King Eevee

Ace Eevee Breeder
    Years
    Okay, people are always asking me whats the difference between pokemon and Digimon?
    and I tell them, the obvious differences between the two. But they always ask... "which came first?"
    I understand them wanting to know this because the two are always being compared to each other, and whoever came first deserves the title of the more original concept of the two. so can some one answer the age old question ....
    "which came first the digivice or the Poke ball?"

El Gofre

I'm Back.
    Years
    • Age 92
    • Seen Mar 23, 2023
    Pokemon: 1995
    Digimon: 1997
    Digimon originated as a tamagotchi-style game, before being adapted into the franchise in 1999.
    Source: Wikipedia

King Eevee

Ace Eevee Breeder
    Years
    OHHHHHHHHHHHHH......... so the entire digimon franchise is nothing but a pathetic, overly fueled, beaten to death attempt at copying the mass success that was the pokemon phenomenon.... so thats why it was such a horrible failure...

Thanks for answering my question.

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
    Years
    OHHHHHHHHHHHHH......... so the entire digimon franchise is nothing but a pathetic, overly fueled, beaten to death attempt at copying the mass success that was the pokemon phenomenon.... so thats why it was such a horrible failure...

Actually, more like an attempt at creating a Tamagotchi that appealed to boys. I used to own a Digimon, and it really was pretty much a Tamagotchi with battling capabilities.

The anime, meanwhile, was an attempt to capitalize on said Tamagotchi for boys. How the Digivolution process came to be a two-way street (as in, possible for evolution and deevolution) when the original stuff just evolved a la Tamagotchi is beyond me.

But either way, no, I really don't think it even attempted to copy Pokemon.

And it really wasn't a horrible failure, judging by its own sizable fanbase. Although Pokemon had a larger one, Digimon wasn't exactly an obscure fandom itself.

El Gofre

I'm Back.
    Years
    • Age 92
    • Seen Mar 23, 2023
    As the above poster said, it wasn't a complete copy. They broadened their own franchise using aspects of an already successful one. They would have had permission of the better 'mon franchise because the similarity could have been seen as a breach of copyright.

Years
    • Seen May 31, 2009
    Digimon is not a Pokemon copy. Tell me how nigh-omnipotents and Pikachu's go together?

El Gofre

I'm Back.
    Years
    • Age 92
    • Seen Mar 23, 2023
    Digimon is not a Pokemon copy. Tell me how nigh-omnipotents and Pikachu's go together?

Digimon's striking similarities to pokemon:

The suffix "Mon"
    The fact that both evolve rapidly.
    The fact they are monsters that battle, usually under the control of humans
    The fact that monsters are somehow captured or mastered by humans.
    I could find more, but i've only ever watched the show twice before getting bored of it.

Of course there are differences, but things like evolution are key factors of pokemon. Digimon quite obviously borrowed the ideas from somewhere, although as I have said it must have been done without breaching copyright, so they made sure they were remarkably different in other aspects.

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    Pokemon: 1995
    Digimon: 1997
    Digimon originated as a tamagotchi-style game, before being adapted into the franchise in 1999.
    Source: Wikipedia
    Oh? I thought Digimon was started in 1992, seems I'm wrong then.

El Gofre

I'm Back.
    Years
    • Age 92
    • Seen Mar 23, 2023
    Oh? I thought Digimon was started in 1992, seems I'm wrong then.

Like i said, I just go by wiki. If you can find me additional sources stating the contrary I will happily retract that statement :)

GKS

Retired Hacker
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2013
    LOL

I thought this thread was like which came first the Pokemon or the Egg which isn't a bad idea to make a thread about it though =/

:t354:TG

Hehe, I thought the same thing. I never tried Digimon because it never really interested me and I thought it was stupid. I actaully thought Pokemon was stupid until I tried it.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back