• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Which Computer do you use?

Which computer do you use?

• Total voters

Morkula

[b][color=#356F93]Get in the Game[/color][/b]
    Years
    I use Windows Vista Ultimate on my laptop. Except for a few little quirks, I really like Vista and don't see what the big fuss is about with the Vista haters.
    My new laptop is scheduled to be here Thursday, and I'll probably wind up installing Windows 7 RC1 on it (got it without an OS to save $100, and I plan to get Win7 when it's released anyway).

Trap-Eds

Dig a hole, dig a hole........
    Years
    My family uses a Windows XP. I'm thinking that when I finally get my own computer it'll be either a Mac or a Vista; whatever is cheaper four years from now. :D

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
    My family uses a Windows XP. I'm thinking that when I finally get my own computer it'll be either a Mac or a Vista; whatever is cheaper four years from now. :D
    In four years, Windows 7 will be mainstream and probably still cheaper than OS X. Linux and other UNIX derivatives will still be cheapest, of course.

Cold Fusion

When you laugh, you gain luck.
    Years
    Nearly every single computer in our house is Windows XP except for my dads and the family computer... I think.

Windows XP for me.

Suki

I'm gonna make it.
    Years
    • Seen Oct 16, 2019
    I tend to use Windows XP, which is on the laptop I'm using now. Orrrrrrr the Mac OS X v10.5 Leopard.

L

Vocaloid fan
    Years
    • Seen May 11, 2020
    I run Mac OS X 10.4 (I have yet to update). My laptop runs Windows XP when I can get it to work properly. ;D

Years
    In four years, Windows 7 will be mainstream and probably still cheaper than OS X. Linux and other UNIX derivatives will still be cheapest, of course.

Of course, but unless a user is fully aware of alternative OSs, etc, they probably aren't ready to use one. Speaking of that, has anyone had any experience with OpenSolaris? I'm keen to have a look, but I'm not going to stuff around getting it without a reason to.

Either way, the newbie-friendliness is probably worth what you'd pay for an OEM copy of Windows. I guess you could say I'm a Vista hater. I got too caught up in the original issues and grew to hate little things I saw that I could forgive if it was a Linux distro, like the GIFs not animating in the picture viewer, etc. It's supposed to perform the same as XP with SP2, now, so I guess I just hold a grudge.

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
    Of course, but unless a user is fully aware of alternative OSs, etc, they probably aren't ready to use one.
    I've always found Windows to be far more problematic than any Linux-based system I've worked with. I had my dad using Ubuntu for a year, and after the first few days, he never ran into any problems with it. He went back to using Windows, and every few weeks there's some sort of problem that I have to spend anywhere from a few minutes to a few days fiixng (and I have to fix them, because otherwise he downloads a bunch of malware labeled "Windows Autofixer" or something similar that messes things up even more).

Speaking of that, has anyone had any experience with OpenSolaris? I'm keen to have a look, but I'm not going to stuff around getting it without a reason to.
    I have it on VirtualBox. It's all right, but I prefer building my system from scratch rather than downloading a CD that comes with all sorts of packages I'm never going to use, which is why I never bothered putting it on anything besides VirtualBox.

Either way, the newbie-friendliness is probably worth what you'd pay for an OEM copy of Windows.
    If you want newbie-friendly, even I'd have to recommend OS X. Windows is not user friendly. I had a friend of a friend once whose hard drive was full, so she started deleting files she never used. There was this huge folder called "Windows" taking up all sorts of space, so she decided to delete a bunch of stuff in it, and Windows just let her. Newbies are stupid when it comes to computers, and they'll do stupid things whenever the opportunity arises. As much as I dislike using OS X personally, it's great for people like her.

Last edited:
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen Jan 10, 2015
    Windows something, I'll edit when I find out later.
    It's my laptop, and it's a good friend o' mine [/lame]

Mika

もえじゃないも
    Years
    • Seen Feb 11, 2013
    Whelp, I've got a Macbook for classes since I have vision issues, runs Leopard, 2.2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor, 2GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM for Memory, somewhere around 180gigs of harddrive space, and I've got a 1TB external harddrive for all meh graphicy goodness. ^3^ This one's mostly for photoshop and classwork but for my touhou obsessions etc I have the following piece of muk doo doo. o3o

I've got a Windows XP [Vista is the bane of existance. >:C] computer and it's been customized to the point I've got no freaking clue just what's on it. It can't be too great as the thing's about ready to keel over so I'm waiting for Windows 7 to finalize itself before I attack it and create myself a gaming PC. I play Ragnarok Online, Mabinogi and the Sims 2/3 and Touhous. o3o So it must run these things, especially the touhous.

Years
    I've always found Windows to be far more problematic than any Linux-based system I've worked with. I had my dad using Ubuntu for a year, and after the first few days, he never ran into any problems with it. He went back to using Windows, and every few weeks there's some sort of problem that I have to spend anywhere from a few minutes to a few days fiixng (and I have to fix them, because otherwise he downloads a bunch of malware labeled "Windows Autofixer" or something similar that messes things up even more).

Windows does have more problems, but everyone is far more familiar with it, so there's always someone to help. I actually had installation in mind when I mentioned that. Sure, Ubuntu has a nice installer, but newbies aren't always going to be able to download the correct ISO, burn it to a disc and then edit their boot manager to boot from a disc install it, manage partitions, then install the codecs for all the common files (such as mp3s) that aren't natively supported on a number of distros. Most computers come with Windows installed so that they only have to create an account and set the time. Don't get me wrong, I love Linux, but most people don't have a clue where to start.

I have it on VirtualBox. It's all right, but I prefer building my system from scratch rather than downloading a CD that comes with all sorts of packages I'm never going to use, which is why I never bothered putting it on anything besides VirtualBox.
    I prefer to not have to install stuff later. It means everything works whenever I want at a later date. I don't want to find out that I forgot to install a spreadsheet client and need it then and there. Plus I don't want to worry about killing my download limit. It's really up to the user, I guess.

If you want newbie-friendly, even I'd have to recommend OS X. Windows is not user friendly. I had a friend of a friend once whose hard drive was full, so she started deleting files she never used. [S-HIGHLIGHT]There was this huge folder called "Windows" taking up all sorts of space, so she decided to delete a bunch of stuff in it,[/S-HIGHLIGHT] and Windows just let her. Newbies are stupid when it comes to computers, and they'll do stupid things whenever the opportunity arises. As much as I dislike using OS X personally, it's great for people like her.

Despite the fact that windows let her (Vista won't), that's not entirely a valid argument. I mean, there's a difference between a newbie and someone who has no idea what's going on. It's people like that that make me think we should need a licence or supervision to use computers. I don't mean to seem harsh, but that's the same as tinkering inside the case and damaging the computer.

I mean, I don't mind it personally, but having to use the Terminal is definately not friendly for Linux. I have to agree from what I've seen of OSX, as it will even stop people like your friend from forcing the disc drive open with cutlery. Well, a Mac drive should. xD Oh, don't take the bashing personally, I'm just messing around. :D

Eureka1

Yay IIDX! :D
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Jan 21, 2023
    Despite the fact that windows let her (Vista won't), that's not entirely a valid argument. I mean, there's a difference between a newbie and someone who has no idea what's going on. It's people like that that make me think we should need a licence or supervision to use computers. I don't mean to seem harsh, but that's the same as tinkering inside the case and damaging the computer.

It would delete components that aren't currently in use, such as most of system32, rendering the OS unbootable.

Master Terrador

Mostly Dead
    Years
    I...also have two...One is a laptop with vista...the other is a desktop with XP...I Use the laptop more though...Cause all my hacking tools are on it...But I Prefer XP...It Runs Way better and more programs will work for it...So...I'll answer Vista...

Back