• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Which DS console should I buy

Which DS system should I buy

• 3DS

Votes: 5 83.3%
  • 2DS

Votes: 1 16.7%

• Total voters

Drayton

Chilled Dude of The Elite Four
Years
    • He/They/Them
    • Seen Feb 21, 2024
    I was looking 3DS on my local store, and I asked the shopkeeper to see if he have the stocked that he promised. but sadly, he lied and doesn't have a stock.

I was going for secondary plan to buy 2DS, judging from what I looked on the internet it wasn't pretty, and the shopkeeper offering a good deal.

Now it's a good question; Should I buy 2DS or wait for 3DS to be stock, then I buy the 3Ds.

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
    Years
  • Depends on your preferences.
    If you want to have 3D then wait for 3DS, if you just want to play 3DS games and you would turn off 3D effects on your 3DS anyways, go for 2DS.
    Other than that there's no functional difference, just the looks.

Drayton

Years
    • He/They/Them
    • Seen Feb 21, 2024
    Oh! I almost forget 2DS is way cheaper than 3Ds, but I like seeing 3D effect on my favorite game in general.

*Darn it. Nintendoh!

Years
  • Having owned both, I find that the stereoscopic 3D is overrated, personally. The money savings on the 2DS are actually worthwhile if you really have a game you want to play right now.

But if you really want to have the stereoscopic 3D, then go for the 3DS.

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    Having owned both, I find that the stereoscopic 3D is overrated, personally.
    Considering what you told me, you really don't have game that utilize the feature well. :P Pokemon X/Y in particular is the worst.

Anyway, depends on what games you plan to buy. There's a lot of games which I personally think have amazing 3D effects, like Luigi's Mansion 2, Donkey Kong Country Returns and Kid Icarus Uprising. And there's games that actually play better in 3D, particularly Mario 3D Land and A Link Between Worlds. These games I tend to make sure I have the 3D effects on.

But there are games that are the opposite, except they're rare. Pokemon X/Y is the worst culprit because not only is the 3D effect itself underwhelming its the one game that gets hit the hardest perfomance-wise with it. The already bad frame rate the game has gets even worse, on top of the fact 3D is only available in single battles. Street Fighter IV 3D is also 30fps 3D as opposed to 60fps, which is really important for a fighter. (Then again, you really wouldn't play a fighter on a handheld if you really cared that much haha.)

It's all preference though. I used to hate 3D myself, till I gave it another chance. Now I love it. There are other things the 3DS has over 2DS as well, like better sound. (Not like it isn't still bad though, to be honest.) You can't go wrong with a 2DS though, it IS the safe option.

Years
  • Considering what you told me, you really don't have game that utilize the feature well. :P Pokemon X/Y in particular is the worst.

The built-in stuff doesn't really work well with the 3D, either.

And I actually couldn't play on the 3DS with X or Y since I couldn't physically add or remove game cartridges from my 3DS (still haven't bothered to send that off to get fixed). I figured that wouldn't work well with the 3D anyway.

The 2DS is definitely not as bad as people say. It just looks awkward. It feels really nice in the hands.

Drayton

Years
    • He/They/Them
    • Seen Feb 21, 2024
    But which screen is the best for X and Y

Drayton

Years
    • He/They/Them
    • Seen Feb 21, 2024
    I can see that since I watched a playthru on youtube, and X & Y seems doesn't have 3D view. As for 3D XL I find it bit too big to grasp on the console
    Does 2DS have sturdy material which resistant to shock (when dropped) or 3DS is stronger to fall damage (Imagine, to share with twerps around you and they tend to damage your console) DX

Ps. Only game I want to get is X or Y and not any other game

Yukiyo Kayume

Dragon Goddess
    Years
  • I prefer the 3DS by a long shot. I just love how it folds into a nice compact console and you can keep it in your pocket without scratching the screen

Years
  • I can see that since I watched a playthru on youtube, and X & Y seems doesn't have 3D view. As for 3D XL I find it bit too big to grasp on the console
    Does 2DS have sturdy material which resistant to shock (when dropped) or 3DS is stronger to fall damage (Imagine, to share with twerps around you and they tend to damage your console) DX

Ps. Only game I want to get is X or Y and not any other game

2DS doesn't have any hinges to break from falls, which is a plus. The downside is that the screens are always exposed (though the fall damage is dispersed some because of the 2DS's larger total surface area if it manages to fall on its screens).

Drayton

Years
    • He/They/Them
    • Seen Feb 21, 2024
    I wonder what happen if I drop the 2DS flat on the screen by accident. Will the screen cracks then :(

Years
  • I wonder what happen if I drop the 2DS flat on the screen by accident. Will the screen cracks then :(

Depends on what kind of surface and from how high. If it's enough to crack the 3DS hinges, it may break the screen, but like I said, there's also more surface area to spread the impact over versus the tiny little corners that the hinges have that can easily shatter them. The 2DS does only have a single speaker, though, so you'd have to use headphones to appreciate the ambient music in X and Y.

Here's a system review:

https://www.techradar.com/us/reviews/gaming/handheld-consoles/nintendo-2ds-1176863/review

Drayton

Years
    • He/They/Them
    • Seen Feb 21, 2024
    I watched the video compression, and yes I have headphones so I can enjoy the X & Y musics :)

Baby height wise, baby throw wise. and I know 3DS highnes may prune to uncoverable for more than 3 years of usage, though 2DS is more enduring, but I wonder if I can use screen protectors like Iphone do.*

* Yes, I sounds bit crazy on screen protector thing.

Dusk White

Terra's Protege
    Years
    • Seen Apr 3, 2014
    The 3ds is alot better then the 2ds first the 2ds looks weird and the 3ds can fit into your pocket way easier than the 2ds.

Back