• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Which dub do you prefer?

Lysander

girl power ftw
Years
  • Do you prefer to watch the Japanese dub or the English dub of the Pokémon Anime (or any other dub)?

I've recently been watching the new season in the Japanese dub with English subtitles on. I'll have to get used to "Ash" being called Satoshi, but I honestly prefer his voice in the Japanese dub.

Last edited:

Famardy

I <3 Cassidy! =3
    Years
  • I kinda miss the original 4Kids voice actors of the dubbed. When they've replaced them, I've stopped watching the anime entirely.

CiCi

[font=Satisfy]Obsession: Watanuki Kimihiro and Izu
    Years
    • Seen Nov 24, 2023
    I adore the Japanese dub. The casting is great and I have a soft spot for Rika Matsumoto. That said, I also enjoy the 4Kids dubs, despite its flaws. In the very beginning, that Ash voice was so iconic. There are whole videos on YouTube of 4Kids Ash roasting Misty and his friends and it's hilarious.

Years
  • Japanese by far. I really dislike how often the English dub replaces the music, and find the voice choices for characters much worse (especially in the case of Lillie, who sounds way too old for her age in the English dub). JP also has the vastly superior opening and ending songs. Been watching it for around 15 years now!

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • Growing up on the English version has made watching the Japanese version feel weird to me. I tried watching Pokemon 2019 in Japanese, but not hearing Sarah play Ash just felt off to me, LMFAO. So, I definitely prefer the English version. The Japanese version isn't bad or anything, but when you hear something one way, it's hard to adjust to another version, but that's just me.

As for which version of the English dub I prefer... TPC's has grown on me. I like the 4kids version, but that dub had some really bad acting, ngl. But Veronica Ash was really good. Sarah's Ash has really improved since she first started voicing him, so I can't really pick the one I think is better.

BH

Canine pokemon fan
    Years
  • First knowing the pokemon from RTL2 i prefer the german dub, so i prefer using the names from that version, i'm so glad the new series comes to Super RTL

The polish dub is cool too as it has very interesting voice actor facts, like Misty being played by the same woman who played Calla from Gummi Bears (she even returned in the S&M seasons), Meowth being played by the guy who plays the VHS version of Dick Dastardly, modern Gargamel and reccetly Dr. Colosso, also Dawn is played (in season 11 onwards) by Minnie Mouse's current VA. However just like the italian/spanish and etc. dubs it keeps the english names of pokemon intact, also it has wierd translations like "Gotta catch them all" being now "Do you have the all?" and "Who's that pokemon?" being "Gotta catch them all" in the first seasons

Last edited:
    Years
  • I prefer the original japanese. I've been watching the original japanese since BW up till now and I've already gotten used to it. I really like it so much!

Back