• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Which Fighting Pokemon

Years
    • Seen May 22, 2005
    I'm only at Saffron city at the moment, though my squad are ~Lv. 34 - a Lv. 33 Primeape being one of the members. However, I was wondering whether catching a Machop at ~Lv. 20 and then training it would be better than Primeape. Also, I would look to make Machop Machamp at one point. Thus, later, is a high-level Primeape to be a better fighting Pokemon or an equivilant Machamp? Many thanks.

P.S. Is a Lv. 31 Dugtrio caught in Diglett's cave gonna be better than a Graveleter Lv. 34 (trained from Lv. 9 Geodude).

Toothache

Deepsea Toothache
    Years
    It all depends on your style of fighting really. Primeape is not bad as an all round Pokemon, but Machamp does a lot better than him, mostly for one of the highest Attack stats in the game.

As for Golem vs Dugtrio, it depends if you want a sweeper or a tank. Dugtrio's niche in competitive battles is trapping Pokemon with Arena Trap and hitting before they can act, being one of the fastest Pokemon in the game (130 base speed). Golem however is a physical tank, capable of taking lots of damage.

Belreza

A.K.A Foamy...FREAK!!
    Years
    I've always felt that a raising a LOWER level Mahop example a lv.5 is a ton better as the states in the long run will be a whole much better if you get my drift. Primape is a good all round pokemon yes but i've never found a use for him in my squad but as you pointed out it does all depend on the fighting style

Star Crossed Dreamer

Protector of the Chosen
    Years
    • Seen Jul 8, 2009
    Primape is good, but Machamp is actually better. It also dpends on if you can get Machamp too. It's good for alot of gyms, but you gotta watch the Flying and Psychic pokemon.

Belreza

A.K.A Foamy...FREAK!!
    Years
    true he has weaknesses but if you use him correctly even against psychic pokemon due to the fact he gets his hits in before they have a chance to use anything (Example Hypnotise followed by Dream Eater. You will damage the pokemon and reheal your ghost or psychic. Best used with Haunter i find)

Pogiforce-14

EV/IV Trainer
    Years
    Looking at Base Stats, the only spot where Primeape has an advantage over Machamp is in speed. Machamp Dominates in everything else. So between the two, I think Machamp woudl be the better one to invest your time in.

Years
    • Seen May 22, 2005
    Thanks a lot guys; I think I'll raise Machop from what has been said.

YelloMit

Machamp > J00!!
    Years
    Good decision to pick Machamp. ;o

*Likes Machamp* XD

Here's a good moveset for it. ;)

Machamp@Leftovers/Quick Claw
    Brick Break
    Toxic
    Rock Slide
    Bulk Up

Back