• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Which fossil did you choose?

Years
  • I always picked Dome Fossil till Twitch plays Pokemon made us workship the Helix Fossil. I now always pick Helix for variety, but i don' really keep either in my party, since by the time you get them, they will be way underleveled unless you want to grind.

Years
    • Seen Jul 17, 2016
    Both of them are two of the best fossil Pokémon in any game in my opinion, though I feel Cradily and Armaldo are the overall kings.

I prefer the Helix fossil, simply because I adore the design of Omastar, the story behind it going 'extinct' and it's Special Attacker advantage. I always did prefer Special over Physical.

Kabutops got nerfed big time in Gen IV. It had the potential to be one of the benefiting Pokémon thanks to the Special/Physical split but GameFreak took gave it no moves. Poor Kabutops.

Years
  • I am always forgetting which one is which, so I usually just pick at random.

Although, I much rather prefer Kabutops while taking on the Elite Four.

Dying Light

Pegasus Knight
    Years
  • I totally chose Omanyte. He's cool, slow, and bulky. Like a tank. I was never fond of Kabuto or it's evolution. He looked too much like a bug Pokemon...

dresden_88

Warden
    Years
  • For some reason, I ALWAYS pick dome fossil...dat kabutops....oh yah....

To be quite honest, I think it may have been a result of an episode of Pokemon that got me to subconsciously demand the dome fossil every single f*****g time. No real rhyme or reason, just...dat kabutops.

Years
  • Since I like Omastar more, I always take Helix Fossil. Omastar has pretty good SP.Atk and Def. I sometimes used it for E4.

Years
    • Seen Jul 2, 2023
    I took the Dome Fossil (by chance) when I first played Red, so I took the same one in LG as well to get my Kabuto. I don't tend to use either fossil that much, as I use my starter (Blastoise) as my water-type in those games. I've grown to like Omastar a lot more than I used to, but if I were to play through Kanto again, I'd probably still pick the Dome Fossil out of habit.

Years
    • Seen Aug 26, 2023
    Both are equally as cool! But I went with the Dome Fossil <3 You gotta love that Kabutops, though. It's power is mint clean, and it just looks soo cool! You can't forget the Helix, though. I haven't used it, although I'd assume it's bulky in its Defences.

Years
    • Seen Dec 7, 2014
    I was never a fan of Kabutops & Omastar but I went with Helix Fossil because it just sounded cooler then Dome Fossil

Years
    • Seen Nov 4, 2017
    Helix Fossil. Third Generation Pokemon Games, Rock type moves' damage are calculated with Attack, while Water type attacks are calculated with Special Attack. Water type moves shouldn't be taught to Kabutops, as Kabutops' stats focuses on attack. There aren't any powerful Rock-type attacks that Kabutops can learn in FireRed. Because Omastar's stronger offense is Special Attack, it should learn Surf and Hydro Pump, both of which are quite strong Special attacks that Omastar can learn.

Years
    • Seen Jul 15, 2015
    I never really cared, until TwitchPlaysPokemon came around and I got into the craze with Lord Helix. So now, I am always obligated to pick the Helix fossil lol

Indifferent

So they say...
    Years
  • I like both Omanyte and Kabuto but I'd usually go with the Helix fossil simply because I prefer my water Pokemon to be specially based rather than physical. At least that's what I thought before the physical/special split.

Euphoric

Indefatigable
    Years
  • Helix.
    Which fossil did you choose?

Laylaw

"Smell ya later!" - Blue
    Years
  • I keep switching between, I don't really which one I like better. Kabuto's pretty cool but Omanyte is so cute. I'll never make up my mind.

Back