• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Which gen do you like best?

Best gen?

• 1st gen: the revolutionary RPG that started it all!

Votes: 8 24.2%
  • 2nd gen: the amazing followup!

Votes: 13 39.4%
  • 3rd/4th gen: the games that kept the series going!

Votes: 12 36.4%

• Total voters

Sanctuary

Member #11,352
Years
  • I really liked the old school, 2nd generation games, they were just the best. But if you're talking about in which generation is best in terms of the Pokemon, I'd say.. the 3rd generation. I only vote for 3rd generation because I like Poochyena & Mightyena. XD

Apathetic_Yen

very original
    Years
  • The 2nd gen. I played that the longest of all my games so far and if they ever come out with a G/S remake...

Years
    • Seen Jan 26, 2014
    I like them all! But I especially like the 1st gen! No contest here!

I like the newer gens because of the higher amount of detail and graphics (so, it's good for remakes) but Pokémon will always be awesome as the original 1st Generation! Woo!

Aikoh

go go rudolph rangers
    Years
  • I love the original Kanto games but Johto was by far my most favorite region. It was the first time they made a lot of big changes to the games but it had an interesting plot, a wonderful new cast of gym leaders, and awesome new Pokémon. I actually restarted my Crystal game more than any of the others because I liked going through the Johto region so much.

Years
    • Seen Feb 3, 2023
    2nd gen. My first pokemon games and it had 16 badges! The only other revolutionizing game like that was Colosseum.

Years
    • Seen Aug 25, 2008
    I Voted For Gen 2.But The Gyms And Elite 4 Are A Little Bit Underleveled.But It's All Right.

Rebellious Treecko

The coolest.
    Years
  • I liked the second gen because you could go back to Kanto. G/S/C also had good music.

However, I like the third generation better. Hoenn is a wonderful place to travel in, I love the music for R/S/E, and the new Pokemon are nice too.
    The main art style changed as well, along with the in-game graphics. (Not to mention it had the best 3-4 seasons of the anime, imo)
    That generation really was Advanced.

Ronin

Lazlo Woodbine’s apprentice
    Years
  • I love them all but my favourite is definitely 1st gen though I just recently got diamond and I'm enjoying it a lot more then I thought I would (and when I complete I may have to change my answer).

Thunder Beam

My Current Team on Diamond
    Years
    • Seen Nov 1, 2008
    They all are good, but the i like the third and four generation the best, but the starter pokemons in first and second are my favorite.

BeachBoy

S P A R K of madness
    Years
  • Johto all the way!

It had everything I loved, and revolutionized a lot of things for Pokemon.
    So I think Johto would be #1! ;D

Sekushi Sushi*

Roses are red, I love you!
    Years
    • Seen Apr 2, 2008
    I found 2nd gen boring. I liked all others but the music in the 1st gen is boring too.

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Years
    • Seen May 20, 2023
    Well for me it goes like this.
    1.Gold/silver/crystal
    2.Diamond/pearl
    3.Firered/leafgreen
    4.Ruby/sapphire/emerald

Anela

I see you.
    Years
  • I liked the second generation, namely Crystal, best, because it was the first Pokemon game I'd played that let you choose to play as a girl. That, along with letting you get badges and go throught both Kanto and Johto, make it my favorite.

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2008
    The general consensus seems to be that Second Gen is best! And I'd have to agree. To me, in addition to them being great games, the artistry of the Gameboy Color sprites is phenomenal. They're like, max four colors per pallet, which is astounding to me, since they made it look so fantastic.

But, in my opinion, beyond maybe some iffy, redundant/extraneous new Pokemon designs, the gameplay mechanics have been doing naught but improving since the beginning; Fourth Gen's battle system, with the split up Physical and Special type moves, loads more moves and abilities and so forth is just great.

If you go to Bulbapedia or something, and compare old Pokemons' old movesets to their movesets in Fourth Gen, they're more filled out with a lot more fun options and possibilities in Fourth Gen.

I know it'll be like five years but I can't wait to see what they do for Fifth Gen. I wonder if they've got anything planned at this juncture? I haven't even heard whispers of a long lost triplet to our already existing Fourth Gen twins showing its face... Also, here's to a remake of Gold and Silver in the new style (they'd be dumb not to make it, honestly)!

Back