• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Which is better, Gold/Silver or Crystal?

andreality

Go go go
    Years
    Crystal is the best game for gameboy color. The sprites and the storyline is much better than the other games for gbc!

Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Nov 9, 2021
    Crystal had more features, the option to choose between girl/boy, and had an extended storyline.

Obviously, Crystal was the better of the three, it doesn't come down to a matter of opinion.

HeidiMoose

[Insert User Title Here]
    Years
    I love Crystal's storyline, and I love the gender option. I was so excited to be a girl - finally! Crystal = Love. :cer_love:

However, Silver was the first of the three that I owned, and has much sentimental value.:cer_love:
    My battery, to my knowledge, hasn't died yet.. and I'm afraid to turn it on in case it has. I will be so sad when that game is forever lost!! :cer_cry:

I never got attatched to my gold much, for some reason.. :cer_confused:

Akeraz

Winning is Magic
    Years
    Personally, It's a tough decision. I Liked all three. But I'll guess that I'll choose Crystal.
    Yeah, you couldn't catch a Mareep.. but the fact you can catch Phanpy early on in Crystal made up for that.
    And the choice between Male and Female sprites..
    that was pretty awesome too.
    Despite being a Male irl, I've used the female sprites since Crystal..
    Dunno why, but I have.

STEELIXMANIAC

Hatena de Wasshoi!
    Years
    Crystal. Because it was the very first Pokémon game I ever got, and thus has much sentimental value to me. On the other hand, I don't have favourites between Gold and Silver.

austin_pika

Map Hacker
    Years
    • Seen Nov 15, 2009
    I prefer Gold. But I like Crystal because of the upgrades from Gold/Silver.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
    I preferred Crystal for the boy/girl choice, the extended Suicune storyline, and the availability of Thunderbolt, Ice Beam, and Flamethrower. Also, you could get the evolution stones earlier by adding the right people to your Pokegear.

With those improvements, I found a way to make do without my Mareep XD

Years
    • Seen Feb 1, 2010
    i like Both Crystal and Silver. but the Problem with Crystal that u cant Catch Ho-Oh There :(. i tried to go to the Tin Tower to see if there is a Ladder that takes me up to Ho-Oh but theres no Ladder T.T. and the good in Crystal that the Pokemon Sprites Moves! and u can get Suicune without making urself tired finding it in the Grass.

Akeraz

Winning is Magic
    Years
    i like Both Crystal and Silver. but the Problem with Crystal that u cant Catch Ho-Oh There :(. i tried to go to the Tin Tower to see if there is a Ladder that takes me up to Ho-Oh but theres no Ladder T.T. and the good in Crystal that the Pokemon Sprites Moves! and u can get Suicune without making urself tired finding it in the Grass.

You can still Catch Ho-oh if you manage to catch all three legendary dogs..

Farasha

The Eevee Lady
    Years
    My Crystal cartridge is almost complete (Beat the elite four, working on my Pokedex), I lost my Silver cartridge and I never had Gold. Yeah, you can tell which one I liked better :3

I have to start moving all the Pokemon from my Crystal version to my Pearl version, even though it's a pain in the behind (trade to LeafGreen, then use the Pal Park... augh, could they come up with a worse way to be backwards-compatible?).

Years
    • Seen Feb 1, 2010
    yea u cant trade From Crystal to LeafGreen -.-G/S/C Can Trade with R/B/Y in order to get the Pokemon that u cant get them through G/S/C. such as Venusaur,charizard,Blastoise, and the Legendaries of R/B/Y.

You can still Catch Ho-oh if you manage to catch all three legendary dogs..
    Oh Really? i didnt know that. too bad i lost the save file of Crystal ( yes i was playing it on emu)......

Last edited:

Andrew1989

neet
    Years
    Crystal was the best imho.

I liked the animated sprites that pokemons had.... and all the extra 'content' it had was a good challange as well ^_^/

miksy91

Dark Energy is back in action! ;)
    Years
    I prefer silver and gold because I've been hacking and playing crystal a long time now so I don't even remember what pokemon look like on battles. And when I think of it a get a picture of pokemon in crystal battle in my mind.

joehat

Yay
    Years
    I never played Gold. So I'd have to say I like Silver/Crystal pretty much equal. They're my favorites next to Yellow and Emerald. I still haven't played Diamond or Pearl. I really wish they would make a remake of Gold, Silver, or Crystal. They were my favorites because you could go to Johto and Kanto. That about doubled the game. I wonder if there will ever be a Pokemon game that encompasses all of the pokemon and regions into one?

Back