• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Which is better: the manga or anime?

Years
    • Seen Dec 12, 2010
    I've watched part of the anime up until the kanto region[lost my interest when johto came out], but right now I wanna go into pokemon again.

But which is better: the manga or anime? Should I continue watching the anime?

Years
  • Anime

the anime is funnier but i like that Jessie and James get married in the manga.....but then you never know. they might get married at the end of the anime.

yes, you should continue watching!

Last edited:

Vulpes bicaudata

Charmander Fanboy
    Years
    • Seen Mar 31, 2011
    Depends which manga you mean. Assuming you mean Special, I would say that the anime is better.

coolcatkim22

Team Rocket's Rockin'
    Years
  • Manga is better in terms of dark story telling.
    Anime is better in terms of light story telling.
    Both have awesome Pokemon battles.

Personally, I would recommend both, just be aware that some parts of both series are kind of, too dark and too light.

Assault

Exotic Water Pokemon Hunter
    Years
  • I'd say watch it. I reckon you'd get further through it quicker watching it rather then reading it. And it's really good. The anime always makes me smile and the manga makes my eyes water 'cause I have to read. -_-

Vulpes bicaudata

Charmander Fanboy
    Years
    • Seen Mar 31, 2011
    My personal formulation of the relative merits of the various Pokémon media that I am familiar with goes EToP>Anime>Special.

Years
  • Just do both... but the anime would be easier to follow because scans of Pokemon Special (it's known as Pokemon Adventures in the US) are very hard to find, and English volumes expensive to buy relative to the anime, which can be viewed for free if you live in the US and have either cable/satellite TV or an internet connection. The anime is also easier to find online, both for questionably legal sources and perfectly legal sources, at least in the US, as the official US site (Pokemon.com) has currently has 24 episodes from the Johto arc up online.

I find the story more interesting in the PokeSpecial, though, but that's just me. It's got much more continuity and has a darker story than the anime (though that's not all that hard to accomplish).

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • I like both, but I'm leaning towards the anime. Most people may be more familiar with it because they grew up watching it.

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Years
  • The manga is much better, imo. The characters are deeper, the storylines are more interesting; it's just overall a better series. I also believe Satoshi Tajiri said of it that it was closest to his idea of the Pokemon World, making it more "realistic" as well. :D

InfernoHo-Oh

has returned
    Years
  • I quite prefer the manga, it has better characters and a deeper plot. However, its becoming harder and harder to read it online, but if you do some searching, you can find some scans.
    I don't really like the anime, I find it quite boring >.<

Hiyappu_Storm

Aqua Monkey Storm!
    Years
  • I prefer the manga because it doesn't drag on like the anime, which has completely pointless filler episodes that you get up early to watch, and their just a sham. But if you love watching two guys, a girl and a load of pokemon walk around and be like "OMG it's a BIDOOF!!!!! Their sooooo rare!!!", then you should watch the anime. I gave up when Advanced Gen anime came out.

Ayselipera

I've grown up with the anime and I really enjoyed it. Even though I have never read the manga I have read the general summary of it and a write up on all the characters. Overall I think the Manga is better. The story is richer and closer to having realistic life situations. While the anime is more light hearted and childish.

In the end I would love for the anime's plot to be turned into the manga's. The reason not only being that I like it better, but also I can't get into stories that are written in a comic form. Hence why I've barely bothered to read any of it.

Back