• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Which Johto Starter would you pick in Emerald?

Which Johto starter would you pick in Emerald

• Chikorita

Votes: 25 18.8%
  • Cyndaquil

Votes: 64 48.1%
  • Totodile

Votes: 44 33.1%

• Total voters

yellowparrot

Advanced Trainer
    Years
    Apparently, if you beat the Elite Four in Pokemon Emerald, and complete the Hoenn Pokemon, Professor Birch is supposed to call you and offer you to pick one of the Johto starters.:) I'm working towards this right now, but I need to know what other people think.
    I wanted to pick the least popular one, so that I can trade for the others.

True Reign

  
    Years
    • Seen Jul 31, 2010
    I would definitely choose Totodile. I've always been a fan of the cheery, crocodile-like Pokemon. With Feraligatr's high attack, Dragon Claw could be a beast. :)

Years
    • Seen Dec 6, 2009
    If I recall correctly, you get it after you've captured 200 (Not 202) Hoenn Pokemon. You also get the National Dex as well as a Johto starter to get you on your way. I'd choose Totodile, he did a lot of great things back in the 2nd Gen.

Years
    If I recall correctly, you get it after you've captured 200 (Not 202) Hoenn Pokemon. You also get the National Dex as well as a Johto starter to get you on your way. I'd choose Totodile, he did a lot of great things back in the 2nd Gen.

Wrong. You don't earn the National Dex when completing the Hoenn Dex. This is not D/P/Pt. You get the National Dex after beating the Elite Four for the first time.

As for choosing the starter, I would probably pick Totodile since I usually choose the water Pokemon in every generation. If you want a least popular Pokemon like you mentioned earlier, you should probably choose Chikorita. Grass starters are usually the least popular in every generation. Fire starters are extremely overated and everyone usually picks those. Water starters are probably in the middle in terms of popularity.

Chatot

Chatot used Chatter!
    Years
    I pretty much have to say Totodile because back in GSC days, I usually chose him, and one of my favorite Pokemon is it's evolution, Feraligatr.

Dominus Temporis

Fezzes are cool.
    Years
    • Seen Jul 24, 2012
    I've always thought Cyndaquil and his line were incredibly awesome, so that's who I'd pick.

Plus, their design is simple, yet cool and effective.

Deeje

Pokemon Breeder from Aus
    Years
    Definately Cyndaquil. Only fire starter line to not get a secondary type, to stick true the the 'Fire' starter choice. He is also cute-cool looking and can end up with rad moves.

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
    Years
    • Age 8
    • +
    • Seen Sep 15, 2020
    Cyndaquil...isn't Quilava and Cyndaquil so cute? But not only that but because well I love fire types they're my second fav.

Artemis

i'm no goddess
    Years
    • Seen Dec 10, 2013
    I have to say Cyndaquil...fire is cool and cyndaquil i cute...while its evolution line rocks!

DaPews

Pokemon Planet Vice President
    Years
    The fire pokemon are always the best pick. Even though the water type gym leader is REALLY hard to beat with it...they look the coolest.

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen yesterday
    Totodile since I already got a Cyndaquil from Colosseum.

.emerald

☆ + ♥
    Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2014
    For some reason, I picked Chikorita.

Maybe because of its ability to use Earthquake...
    I wouldn't want Cyndaquil cause its soft. But it looks cool...

I had second thoughts though with Totodile.

Asmo-deus

Psychomancy
    Years
    • Seen Sep 8, 2010
    Cyndaquil, i used a Quilava in the Lvl 50 Battle Factory, so yeah. I'm gonna pick with Cyndaquil.

Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2015
    Probably Chikorita. I've already got good fire and water pokemon, I need a grass type.

Back