• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Which keys do you use?

which keys do you use?

• Total voters

Babebraham

Just being here is good enough.
Years
  • Do you use arrow keys, WASD, or others most of the time?

twocows note: I'm taking this to be a dual-part question. He's asking both in games and in general navigation.

Last edited by a moderator:
    Years
    • Seen yesterday
    I don't use those unless I'm typing or something requires them. I have a multi-toucch trackpad for a reason!

Misheard Whisper

[b][color=#FF0000]I[/color] [color=#FF7F00]also[/c
    Years
  • I have a general rule that I don't play computer games that require moving with the keyboard/mouse (which basically rules out all FPS/TPS/etc games. No big loss.) so for the most part, none. However, if presented with the choice (like in a racing minigame or something), I go for the arrow keys every time. Moving with letters feels too weird, and I'm right-handed, so it feels a bit more natural to manoeuvre with my right hand. I'm fine with steering left-handed if I'm using my thumb (PS2, DS etc) but actually pushing different buttons with my fingers? Hehe, nah.

Of course, this presents me with a dilemma when faced with a game like, say, Borderlands, where you turn and shoot with the mouse, but move with the keys. There is no way I'd be able to operate a mouse with my left hand, so . . . yeah, I just don't play those kinds of games. I much prefer console games anyway.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    I have a general rule that I don't play computer games that require moving with the keyboard/mouse (which basically rules out all FPS/TPS/etc games. No big loss.)

How...how else would you move in a computer game? o_o;

In games I use WASD if I can because I'm left-handed and then I can use my right hand for the mouse. I find using the arrow keys obnoxious in general.

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
    Years
  • I use the arrow keys too. To be honest I never using WASD was actually an option haha - I'm left-handed too, which might mean I should be using WASD... it just seems counterintuitive to me.

Anyway, this belongs in Computers & Technology so I'm gonna move it there :)

Purple Materia

Shape the future!
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Apr 12, 2014
    Playing any FPS on the arrow keys is a friggin' nightmare.

My left pinky could only reach Ctrl and Shift comfortably, while my left thumb could only reach the 0 key on the Numpad. That gives me only three keys besides moving and shooting; for Combat Arms, I use six keys - one for sprinting, reloading, jumping, crouching, picking something up off the ground, and switching my primary weapon.

tl;dr: Arrow keys don't work for me.

Ciax

Ledian Used Starlight!
    Years
  • I have used my arrow keys for a long time. But then one unfortunate day I spilled cordial on my arrow keys and now they don't work. So I adjusted and now use the WASD. I find I actually prefer them now, it suits my hands better.

Last edited:

Avishka

Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Nov 13, 2019
    i use the arrow keys but for change i am using the WASD keys nowadays

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    I usually use WASD for movement if it's not a racing game or sports game. If it is? I'll just plug in my 360 controller.

Years
  • WASD4LYF.

Seriously, though. My left hand defaults to Shift/A/W/D/Space when I put it down on the keyboard. WASD is ingrained in my mind. The only reason I'd consider the arrows is for navigating menus.

I didn't even know people used the arrow keys. :P

Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Jul 14, 2021
    WASD for FPS games, other than that, arrow keys are way to go.

Years
    • she/her or they/them
    • Seen Apr 4, 2024
    WASD for life.

I used to be a arrow keys person before I began playing TF2 a year or two ago, and then I realized just how many useful keys you can use with WASD. On my keyboard, it feels really natural and comfy.

Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Feb 1, 2016
    Many years ago I would have said arrows. Now I say that I prefer WASD. I can't play with arrows anymore, they're just so...bad.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • I just use whatever the default is... usually the arrow keys. Of course, I'm using them on a netbook which makes it even harder, but since I mostly play dating sims or turn based RPG's, it's not like I need fast reflexes for them anyway, lol

Back