• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Which moves? Starters+Pikachu

Years
    • Seen Oct 11, 2013
    So, I'm back playing Pokemon, it is a GREAT game.
    Since I know it's really important to do it right to get good pokemons you need to do some different things.
    A very important things are move?
    Are there any cookie-cutter builds (including moves, when to evolve and so on) for the three starters and Pikachu, these are the four I have with me and planning to stick with until I can get goodies like Mew, Mewto, the Ghost one and so on.
    For example I haven't let Squirtle evolve, can I do this safely?
    I really need the moves so I don't get rid of the good ones! :)
    I tried to search, but I couldn't find anything really useful (if I missed something sorry, maybe I didn't know what terms to search for)

Also, although I have the first badge i got alot of ignores, or do I need 2 to make pokemons over lvl 10 to obey me?

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Oct 11, 2013
    I'm just curious which game are you playing?

Pokemon leaf green

I found this:

Hint: Blastoise: Recommended moves:
    Hydropump (Water), HydroCannon (Water), Blizzard (Ice), Bite (Dark)
    Information in this section was contributed by Devin Thompson.

The best moves to teach Blastoise are as follows.
    Surf: Rock, Ground, and Fire
    Bite: Psychic, Ghost, and a good basic attack
    Earthquake: Fire, Poison, Electric, Steel, and Rock
    Ice Beam: Grass, Ground, Flying, and Dragon

He knows Bite and Surf atm. Is there anyway I can override surf?
    Also, is there ANY pokemon I can learn Surf, Fly AND Strength?

Is it a waste to learn Charizard Fly?
    Is it a waste to learn Blastoise Surf?
    Who should learn Strength orr should I just take whatever pokemon with me with strength when needed?

crobatdeluxe

You can't be a legend...
    Years
  • Blastoise only needs Ice Beam and Surf, (well, for me.)

Charizard only needs flamethrower and wing attack. (though, i overwrote wing attack for fly.)

Wings Don't Cry

Maybe she's born with it
    Years
  • Strength is a good move for a high base attack Pokemon, but there are better moves then strength so just get a HM slave

~Magnus~

Platinum FC: 4683-5731-9795
    Years
    • Seen Feb 27, 2010
    Pokemon leaf green

I found this:

Who should learn Strength orr should I just take whatever pokemon with me with strength when needed?

no offense but can you please use the word teach?

Zach.Is.Me.

As my name suggests, I am Zach
    Years
    • Seen Jun 11, 2009
    Pokemon leaf green

I found this:

I agree with rikudaman, in that you should get a nidoran so you can teach it strength, cut, and rock smash. make it an HM slave.

You've only got 6 slots for pokemon and if you're using pikachu, charmander, squirtle, and bulbasaur, you've only got two left. One for Nidoran, and I would say teach one Fly.

My Charizard in FireRed knows Fly, but it's pretty beast and also knows Heat Wave, Blast Burn and Earthquake. And I also just taught it fly because I don't want to keep switching out pokemon to get me places and then switching them back for battles, you know?

Surf is actually probably the strongest HM move and is more accurate than hydropump and hydrocannon. It can get really frustrating when you're in battle and your attacks keep missing. I would probably say replace the weaker of the two with Surf for Blastoise.

Once you get Fly, you can go to the Move Deleter in Fuschia City. That's the only way you can delete HM moves. But it's really simple, actually.

Pikachu should be taught Shock Wave, Thunderbolt, and Thunder by TM. And if you just want to focus EV Training on SP Attack, then keep it knowing Thundershock as well.

That would be my advice.

Years
    • Seen Oct 11, 2013
    I agree with rikudaman, in that you should get a nidoran so you can teach it strength, cut, and rock smash. make it an HM slave.

You've only got 6 slots for pokemon and if you're using pikachu, charmander, squirtle, and bulbasaur, you've only got two left. One for Nidoran, and I would say teach one Fly.

My Charizard in FireRed knows Fly, but it's pretty beast and also knows Heat Wave, Blast Burn and Earthquake. And I also just taught it fly because I don't want to keep switching out pokemon to get me places and then switching them back for battles, you know?

Surf is actually probably the strongest HM move and is more accurate than hydropump and hydrocannon. It can get really frustrating when you're in battle and your attacks keep missing. I would probably say replace the weaker of the two with Surf for Blastoise.

Once you get Fly, you can go to the Move Deleter in Fuschia City. That's the only way you can delete HM moves. But it's really simple, actually.

Pikachu should be taught Shock Wave, Thunderbolt, and Thunder by TM. And if you just want to focus EV Training on SP Attack, then keep it knowing Thundershock as well.

That would be my advice.

Thanks for all answer.
    Now, who should i TEACH :) its ultimate move you get from one of the islands??

I usually use guides but now i just feel like taking the ones i like.
    I was thinking of putting together a team with only flying/other.

Aerodactyl Type: Flying/Rock
    Articuno Type: Flying/Ice
    Zapdos Type: Flying/Electric
    Moltres Type: Flying/Fire
    Dragonite Type: Flying/Dragon
    Gyarados Type: Flying/Water

I understand this isnt original or new but I would love to know YOUR favourite moves for these
    Im thinking of exchanging Gyrados for Mewto but im not sure.

Thanks in advance

Zach.Is.Me.

As my name suggests, I am Zach
    Years
    • Seen Jun 11, 2009
    Now, who should i TEACH :) its ultimate move you get from one of the islands??

I would probably teach Venusaur "Frenzy Plant", to be honest.

Charizard can be taught "Heat Wave" by giving the Move Maniac two small mushrooms on one of the Sevii Islands, which is quite accurate and does 100 Damage. And Charizard can also take the Fire Blast TM as well. Between the two of them, you'll be good with devastating fire-type attacks.

And Blastoise can learn Hydropump and Surf, which are awesome water-type attacks.

As for Venusaur. Razor Leaf is a great attack, however not as damage-dealing as Solarbeam. But Solarbeam requires one turn to charge up. So I never use Solarbeam unless I also have Sleep Powder (which I would suggest keeping in Venusaur's arsenal).

Between Solarbeam (which takes one turn to charge, and one turn to attack) and Frenzy Plant (which attacks first, then requires a turn to REcharge). You should be able to manipulate the battle in your favor. But that's just my take.

I usually use guides but now i just feel like taking the ones i like.
    I was thinking of putting together a team with only flying/other.

Aerodactyl Type: Flying/Rock
    Articuno Type: Flying/Ice
    Zapdos Type: Flying/Electric
    Moltres Type: Flying/Fire
    Dragonite Type: Flying/Dragon
    Gyarados Type: Flying/Water

I understand this isnt original or new but I would love to know YOUR favourite moves for these
    Im thinking of exchanging Gyrados for Mewto but im not sure.

Aerodactyl is AWESOME. However, you receive it at level 5 in FireRed and LeafGreen so it does take a while to level it up to something usable. But Ancient Power is probably it's best attack. The three legendary birds are awesome and offer a wide spectrum of attack variety. Dragonite is also OBVIOUSLY sick since almost nothing is super effective against it and it can learn a ton of different types of attacks.

Gyrados is great, but I would recommend the Mewtwo switchout. Especially since Mewtwo comes equipped with both Psychic and Recover, and insane Special Attack stats.

Years
    • Seen Oct 11, 2013
    I would probably teach Venusaur "Frenzy Plant", to be honest.

Charizard can be taught "Heat Wave" by giving the Move Maniac two small mushrooms on one of the Sevii Islands, which is quite accurate and does 100 Damage. And Charizard can also take the Fire Blast TM as well. Between the two of them, you'll be good with devastating fire-type attacks.

And Blastoise can learn Hydropump and Surf, which are awesome water-type attacks.

As for Venusaur. Razor Leaf is a great attack, however not as damage-dealing as Solarbeam. But Solarbeam requires one turn to charge up. So I never use Solarbeam unless I also have Sleep Powder (which I would suggest keeping in Venusaur's arsenal).

Between Solarbeam (which takes one turn to charge, and one turn to attack) and Frenzy Plant (which attacks first, then requires a turn to REcharge). You should be able to manipulate the battle in your favor. But that's just my take.

Aerodactyl is AWESOME. However, you receive it at level 5 in FireRed and LeafGreen so it does take a while to level it up to something usable. But Ancient Power is probably it's best attack. The three legendary birds are awesome and offer a wide spectrum of attack variety. Dragonite is also OBVIOUSLY sick since almost nothing is super effective against it and it can learn a ton of different types of attacks.

Gyrados is great, but I would recommend the Mewtwo switchout. Especially since Mewtwo comes equipped with both Psychic and Recover, and insane Special Attack stats.

I just loled about the Mewtwo thing cause that was my plan from my beginning. Hmmm.

About Areodactyl, I might have screwed him up already, I left him in the daycare to lvl 22, should I get a new one?

Back