• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Which one should I get?

Years
    • Seen Aug 3, 2007
    I have Diamond and want to get one of the GBA games to play through and be able to use Pal Park. They're pretty cheap now anyways.

Which one is better? Has more pokemon? Better graphics and music? I'm currently deciding between Fire Red, Leaf Green, and Emerald.

black dog

The plum has been picked
    Years
    • Seen Jun 16, 2008
    Emerald would be a great choice. in my opinion at least

Pookachu

Chuck Norris
    Years
    Agreed, Emerald have more Pokémon available than FR/LG. But, you might want to get all the GBA games since there are some species of Pokémon that only appear in Diamond / Pearl if you have a specific cartridge in the GBA slot.

Barker

I'm drifting in deep waters..
    Years
    Emerald Version would definitely be the best as far as replay value goes, since it has the Battle Frontier. It's also more expensive than Firered or Leafgreen though. I would choose depending on which Generation of Pokemon you like best. Firered/Leafgeen offer the First generation and a few Second Generation ones, Emerald has most Third Generation Pokemon and more Second Generation ones than Firered.

diamondpearl876

you can breathe now. x
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 25, 2022
    I would go with Emerald. There's the Battle Frontier and more Pokemon to catch.

Random

-
    Years
    • Seen Feb 10, 2008
    Well i your looking for fun, well long lasting gameplay, and good graphics i suggest FR/LG, but if your looking for the more availability for the pokedex, and a good challenge then go with Emerald, all games have their goods and bad. But other versions when inserted into the DS slot2 give out different pokemon at different locations, in Diamond or Pearl, so there really isn't a better one, its a matter of your opinion.

Im not a noob

Read my name, BECAUSE I'M NOT!
    Years
    How big a difference in graphics are we talking about here?

Because I'm leaning more towards emerald now.

Not much of a difference, one thing you'll automatically notice if you have both FR/LG and Emerald, the HP bar is fatter than the one in Emerald. But, if you're looking for game play, Emerald is the game to pick. FR/LG can get boring very easily because after the Elite Four, the rest is pretty much a cake walk and then you'll be bored. Whereas in Emerald, after you beat the E-4, you have legendary Pokémon to catch, battle tents, battle Frontier, Contests (which FR/LG doesn't have ;) ), and so on. Emerald also has a lot more pokemon to catch and it has adaptability of going to Birth Island, Far away Island, ,and can do Mystery Event/Gift

Wish

No spoils for the meek.
    Years
    • Seen Feb 11, 2018
    My choice would be Emerald, because it's both Ruby and Saphire, then I'd go with Fire red, to get some Kanto pokemon. Those are my top two opinions.

Years
    • Seen Aug 3, 2007
    Okay I got Emerald and played for about three hours last night. The visuals are a little rough but the music is great, the pokemon you can get in the beginning are really cool, and the main character doesn't look like a wimp :P

And the battles are lightning fast! Woah.

I wish I was into handhelds back when this first came out.

Im not a noob

Read my name, BECAUSE I'M NOT!
    Years
    Okay I got Emerald and played for about three hours last night. The visuals are a little rough but the music is great, the pokemon you can get in the beginning are really cool, and the main character doesn't look like a wimp :P

The music in FR/LG would be very shifty and rough (not to mention extremely basic as they brought maybe 1-5 of the first songs back into the GBA series) if you'd have bought them :P

Xoo

bam, baby!
    Years

Yeah, I like Emerald for the same reason. Imo, it's rated better than FR/LG. :)

Back