• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Which Pokémon do you think will be included in the games, which do you want to see, and/or which would you want omitted?

Years
    With the release of Sword & Shield, Gamefreak has made it the norm that Pokemon games going forward won't be containing every Pokemon in existence within the game's data. This is somewhat of a bummer but I think the controversy surrounding it during the leadup to Sword & Shield was pretty overblown. Anyways, I have a list of Pokemon confirmed to be in the game via trailers and announcements that I found on imore.com, and I'll list them here. If you want to look at the full article, you can find it here: https://www.imore.com/pokemon-scarlet-and-violet-all-confirmed-pokemon-so-far

Old Pokemon returning this generation:
    Altaria
    Arcanine
    Azumarill
    Bagon
    Beartic
    Blissey
    Bounsweet
    Breloom
    Cacnea
    Cacturn
    Clawitzer
    Chansey
    Chewtle
    Clauncher
    Clawitzer
    Cloyster
    Coalossal
    Combee
    Cryogonal
    Cubchoo
    Cufant
    Deerling
    Donphan
    Dragonair
    Dragonite
    Drifblim
    Drifloon
    Drowzee
    Dunsparce
    Eevee
    Eiscue
    Elektross
    Flaaffy
    Flabébé
    Fletchinder
    Fletchling
    Floette
    Florges
    Gallade
    Gardevoir
    Gastly
    Gengar
    Girafarig
    Gogoat
    Golduck
    Goodra
    Goomy
    Growlithe
    Gyarados
    Happiny
    Hariyama
    Hatterene
    Haunter
    Hippowdon
    Hisuian Zoroark
    Hoppip
    Honchkrow
    Houndoom
    Houndour
    Hydreigon
    Jumpluff
    Komala
    Larvitar
    Lilligant
    Lucario
    Lumineon
    Luxio
    Luxray
    Magikarp
    Magnemite
    Magneton
    Magnezone
    Makuhita
    Mareanie
    Mareep
    Marill
    Medicham
    Meowth
    Misdreavus
    Mismagius
    Mudbray
    Murkrow
    Noibat
    Noivern
    Oricorio
    Pacharisiu
    Pelipper
    Persian
    Petilil
    Pichu
    Pineco
    Pinurchin
    Pikachu
    Polteageist
    Psyduck
    Pupitar
    Raichu
    Riolu
    Rockruff
    Rotom
    Salamence
    Sawsbuck
    Seviper
    Scizor
    Scyther
    Shellder
    Sinistea
    Skiddo
    Skiploom
    Slaking
    Slakoth
    Slowbro
    Slowpoke
    Slowking
    Sneasel
    Snorunt
    Staraptor
    Staravia
    Starly
    Steenee
    Stonjourner
    Sudowoodo
    Sunflora
    Swablu
    Sylveon
    Talonflame
    Tropius
    Tsareena
    Tyranitar
    Venonant
    Vespiquen
    Vigoroth
    Wingull
    Wooper (Paldean)
    Zangoose
    Zorua

Anyone on this list you're particularly excited to see return? Anyone not on this list that you hope does or doesn't make it in?

I'll start off by saying I'm excited to see Hisuian Zoroark make a return for a more traditional Pokemon experience, as it became one of my favorite Pokemon not too long after it was first revealed. I think using it in more traditional battles will be really interesting, especially if it gets Imposter as its ability with its unique typing. On the other hand, I actually hope Nincada doesn't return, because Shedinja would be absolutely broken with the new teratypes mechanic. I mentioned this in another thread about terastallizing, but if I terastallize my Shedinja into Electric type and give it an air balloon, there's no way to damage it without poison or leech seed, and that sounds like a headache for competitive players. I actually think this Shedinja example is a good case of why limiting the returning Pokemon in each generation can be a positive with the introduction of all of these new generation-specific gimmicks.

Last edited:
    Years
    I don't recall seeing Oricorio in the trailers, but I might've missed it.

I'm happy to see Oricorio and the entire Florges line return.
    I'm not particularly happy at the Elektross line's return, but oh well... can't have everything.

Personally, I just want to see those omitted from Sword/Shield to return, and others omitted instead.

Sweet Serenity

Advocate of Truth
    Years
    Anyone on this list you're particularly excited to see return? Anyone not on this list that you hope does or doesn't make it in?

I wish that every Pokémon was featured in the game like they were before Pokémon moved to the Nintendo Switch. Nonetheless, I am happy to see Mismagius return, as it is one of my favorite Pokémon. This list has me worried though because I don't see Starmie or Reshiram on this list, one of which is my all-time favorite Pokémon and the other my all-time favorite legendary Pokémon. I also want the starters that weren't featured in Pokémon Sword and Shield to return as well.

I'll start off by saying I'm excited to see Hisuian Zoroark make a return for a more traditional Pokemon experience, as it became one of my favorite Pokemon not too long after it was first revealed. I think using it in more traditional battles will be really interesting, especially if it gets Imposter as its ability with its unique typing. On the other hand, I actually hope Nincada doesn't return, because Shedinja would be absolutely broken with the new teratypes mechanic. I mentioned this in another thread about terastallizing, but if I terastallize my Shedinja into Electric type and give it an air balloon, there's no way to damage it without poison or leech seed, and that sounds like a headache for competitive players. I actually think this Shedinja example is a good case of why limiting the returning Pokemon in each generation can be a positive with the introduction of all of these new generation-specific gimmicks.

About Shedinja, as I said before in that other thread, you can damage an Electric-type Air Balloon Shedinja with Poison (Toxic, Toxic Spikes), Burn (Will-o-Wisp), Stealth Rock, Spikes, Leech Seed, confusion damage, Curse when used by a Ghost-type Pokémon, the ability Mold Breaker and its variants, moves that ignore abilities such as Moongeist Beam, Sunsteel Strike (and possibly more assuming that Game Freak created such new moves for the new generation), weather conditions such as Sandstorm and Hail, moves that change abilities such as Entrainment and then attacking it directly, abilities that do residual/chip damage on contact when attacked such as Rough Skin, Iron Barbs, and so on, items that do the same thing such as Rocky Helmet, and the list goes on. Players also can't say that having these options are difficult because every good team can do most of these things. Simply put, if a player's team doesn't do anything I listed, he or she has to work on his or her team-building skills, period. With so many ways to defeat it, it makes no sense to waste Terastalization on it when you could have used it on something more useful and longer lasting.

I can definitely see Shedinja changing the way the meta looks for the next generation though because, when completely unprepared, this Shednija could be a problem. Still, I definitely don't see it making a lasting impact, as higher level players that aren't casual would already have outs for it, trust me. The VGC's play-style normally doesn't involve entry hazards compared to Singles, but with the existence of this new gimmick, I can definitely see VCG players using Stealth Rock more often, along with more Sandstorm teams. With that being said, I predict this being not much different to the troll gimmicks such as constantly boosting Evasion and passing the stat changes with Baton Pass, which could definitely catch unprepared players off-guard, but those with moves that ignore stat changes or never miss would have no problem beating it. I know I said this before, but I feel I have to say it again because many people in the competitive world are heavily debating this and I just wanted to share what makes the most logical sense. With that, I say let Shedinja be in the game so it could have its moment to shine. It's too unique of a creature to just ignore in my opinion.

Years
    Personally, I just want to see those omitted from Sword/Shield to return, and others omitted instead.

Definitely agree there. I need my Alolan Muk back. Also lots of starters from previous games were unavailable even though some got brought back later, and I think they should make every past starter at least present within the game.

Years
    I also would mostly like to see Pokémon that didn't make into Sword & Shield in there! I just want everyone to be able to have their favourites on the Switch 😊

Also, Lapras! I'm biased of course, but I feel Lapras have a proper Mediterranean vibe! I'm happy Chansey is returning, as well as Houndour, I've never managed to fit one in a team and I think they're fun!

Years
    I also would mostly like to see Pokémon that didn't make into Sword & Shield in there! I just want everyone to be able to have their favourites on the Switch 😊

Also, Lapras! I'm biased of course, but I feel Lapras have a proper Mediterranean vibe! I'm happy Chansey is returning, as well as Houndour, I've never managed to fit one in a team and I think they're fun!

Yes, I agree! Every Pokemon that didn't make it into Sword & Shield should make a return. I recently looked and by the time the final update was released, a good amount of the National Dex is present. It's actually about 74% of the total Pokemon in existence, so it'd be great to see the other 26% make their way back, even if it doesn't happen until later updates, similar to how Sword & Shield rolled things out.

Years
    Something that hasn't really been done since Johto is including Starter Pokémon from other generations. I remember facing Picnicker Gina south of Goldenrod and being blown away by a random girl using a Bulbasaur.
    Then there's a scattering of trainers throughout Johto and Kanto who use the other Kanto starters.

Then you have Hoenn where absolutely nobody but you and Brendan/May use the starter Pokémon.

I don't know why but I'd love to encounter a random trainer using Johto or Unova starters as I explore Paldea.

Years
    Yes, I agree! Every Pokemon that didn't make it into Sword & Shield should make a return. I recently looked and by the time the final update was released, a good amount of the National Dex is present. It's actually about 74% of the total Pokemon in existence, so it'd be great to see the other 26% make their way back, even if it doesn't happen until later updates, similar to how Sword & Shield rolled things out.

Oh wow, I didn't realise that with the DLC it was about 74%! I wasn't bothered by the dex cut personally as I prefer Pokémon to like be chosen for the specific region because they make sense. I just want them all to be on the switch across the games as previous consoles are pretty expensive these days 😔 I do hope they do DLC again as well as I have really enjoyed the Sword ones!

I do find it hard with previous Pokémon being in sometimes too as I find it very difficult to not have a Lapras in my party and so on, but I do like to try and make a new team of all the new Pokémon!

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
    Hey guys. Since it has been leaked, I figured I'd post the full list of returning pokemon. I have removed every Paldean Pokemon from this list, so you don't have to worry about being spoiled. This is confirmed by dataminers. There will be more pokemon returning in expansions much like with Sword and Shield. Some of this pokemon are not catchable in the wild, but you can transfer them once Home opens up for these games.

Spoiler is only for those who may not want to see every returning pokemon. Again, I've removed all the new pokemon from this list.
    Spoiler:

Last edited:

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
    I do want to say that this. Nothing about new pokemon, but some that are returning.

Spoiler:

PageEmp

No money puns. They just don’t make cents.
    Years
    I know there is an extremely high chance it'll be in anyway, but I hope Crobat is in the game. The Poison/Flying typing helps protection against all of Dark's weaknesses, which I need as the starter I plan to pick is going to be part Dark.

And so I checked Iceshadow3317's list of returning mons:
    Spoiler:

Last edited:
    Back