• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Which Pokemon of my team should learn Earthquake and Thunderbolt?

Years
    • Seen Sep 8, 2007
    Hello,

My team is as follows:

Cacturne
    Blaziken
    Aggron
    Altaria
    Gorebyss
    Slaking

One of them needs to learn Earthquake, and one of them Thunderbolt. I only have 1 of each TM and I have no means, as of now, to get others, nor do I want to chainbreed because most of my Pokemon in my team have already been bred for a good nature (and this took AGES, not going to start over).

Any ideas? Thanks! ^^

Years
    • Seen Sep 8, 2007
    That was my first idea as well, until I kinda realized that Earhquake would fit Slaking as well, don't you agree?

And what about Thunderbolt?

ultranerd57

Hello again.
    Years
  • NO

Yes,Slaking can learn Earthquake too,if you like,you can give Earthquake to Slkaing and Thunderbolt to Aggron;).I give you Movesets for Slaking:
    Slaking
    Return
    Focus Punch
    Rest
    Rock Slide

Aggron

never give aggron special moves if its your only tm other pokemon have much higher special stats
    earthquake to slaking
    thunderbolt to ?gorebyss? or anything but aggron

Rochard E.

Master Trainer
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Jul 12, 2008
    Why not give Aggron and special moves? I gave Earthquake to my Aggron and my Mewtwo.

Years
  • Why not give Aggron and special moves? I gave Earthquake to my Aggron and my Mewtwo.

Have you seen Aggron's Special Attack? Aggron max Special Attack is 240 which can only be reached with a Sp. Atk increasing nature, 252 EVs in Sp. Atk, and perfect IVs in Special Attack. Most of the time, Aggron won't even reach 200 because nobody trains it in Special Attack. Also, Aggron doesn't get STAB for using Thunderbolt which makes the attack even weaker. In short, don't waste Thunderbolt on Aggron.

The only Pokemon on his team other than Aggron that can learn Thunderbolt is Slaking. Slaking isn't much of a special sweeper either because his Attack is much higher and he won't be to use Thunderbolt that much thanks to his ability.

Don't teach Thunderbolt until you can find a better Special Sweeper.

Years
    • Seen Sep 8, 2007
    Awh. :( Okay, Earthquake to Slaking it is, then. I really hadn't realized Earthquake was a special attack (you know what, Diamond and Pearl's new system made me VERY confused, I can't even remember if it was Special or not in Diamond >_>). My special sweeper is Gorebyss, but I highly doubt it can learn Thunderbolt (..And I checked just now, it can't).

In that case, if I learn Ice Beam to Gorebyss as I was about to do anyway, I should cover all types, I think, right? I don't want Gorebyss to be a Baton Passer anyway.

Keep in mind I don't want to do any professional battles, that's why this team isn't very professional either and it doesn't need to be perfect. All have been selected on the best nature I could find and some have been actually bred to get a good nature (Cacturne, Altaria, Gorebyss), but none have been EV trained or anything.

Years
  • Awh. :( Okay, Earthquake to Slaking it is, then. I really hadn't realized Earthquake was a special attack (you know what, Diamond and Pearl's new system made me VERY confused, I can't even remember if it was Special or not in Diamond >_>). My special sweeper is Gorebyss, but I highly doubt it can learn Thunderbolt (..And I checked just now, it can't).

In that case, if I learn Ice Beam to Gorebyss as I was about to do anyway, I should cover all types, I think, right? I don't want Gorebyss to be a Baton Passer anyway.

Keep in mind I don't want to do any professional battles, that's why this team isn't very professional either and it doesn't need to be perfect. All have been selected on the best nature I could find and some have been actually bred to get a good nature (Cacturne, Altaria, Gorebyss), but none have been EV trained or anything.

I think you mean competitive battles, which you can't do on the GBA games anyway

Magneto20

CoOmnipotent1of Pokemon:WARPED
    Years
  • i think it would be good to teach thunderbolt to altaria, that way it can defend itself from all the ice/water types out there.

Anti

return of the king
    Years
  • I don't believe that altaria can learn t-bolt. Gorbyss as a special sweeper is bad, it is supposed to be a BPer, but w/e you're not playing competitively, so don't worry. Even for ingame teams, T-bolt is suicide on aggron...always.

Years
    • Seen Feb 14, 2015
    nor do I want to chainbreed because most of my Pokemon in my team have already been bred for a good nature (and this took AGES, not going to start over).

Any ideas? Thanks! ^^
    Holding Everstone will allow the offspring to inherit the parent's nature. Good job on wasting "AGES" on something that could have taken but one or two egg-hatchings, friend.

Anyway, back on topic. I'd say Slaking needs a powerful move like Earthquake to make up for its crappy ability limiting its attacks, though its power won't be as strong as when a Ground Pokemon uses it, for obvious reasons. As for thunderbolt, teach it to anyone you wish(yeah, call me a lazy douchebag or anything you want, but I'm in the middle of downloading some crap and can't help you much)

Last edited:

Anti

return of the king
    Years
  • Yes,I agree.Teach Earthquake to Slaking,and Thunderbolt to Aggron.

Uh, aggron's specila attack SUCKS. I mean, I don't know how steven is the champ of the E4 with the awful movesets his pokes have. Aggron CANNOT use special attacks, the end. Rock Slide and EQ are usually on it, iron defense is good with all the 4x weaknesses...and the last slot...who knows? Reat maybe...I'm not that good with aggron. Oh, don't use iron tail, it is WAY too unreliable.

Back