• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Which pokemon should you start with?

Years
  • Their all perfect in their own way so I chose all of them by trading the babies of my starters.
    Turtwig- defense and vengeful power
    Piplup- Special power (bubblebeam owns)
    Chimchar- Quick Striker with special power too (best choice)

If I want an easy game, I choose Piplup. In Platinum, I wanted a challenge, so I chose Chimchar. Plus, he is the only Fire/Fighting type. Grass/Ground is too common.

Blaziken? I can't really think of another grass ground type.

Last edited:

Beelzebub

under the crimson air
    Years
    • Seen Feb 18, 2013
    I personally picked Chimchar. There's not a lot of fire types in Platinum, so >: plus I don't like Piplup or Turtwig much.

SpiderJames

PSY!!!
    Years
    • Seen Aug 21, 2012
    Ive always started with Piplup, never liked Chimchar even though hes pretty good, started with Turtwig for Platinum, kinda satisfied, his only move that was really good for me was Earthquake though :/

Lynnx

half listening.
    Years
    • Seen Oct 11, 2009
    I chose Piplup, because I don't really like Turtwig or Chimchar. I might go with Chimchar on a new game, though, because I miss my Fire-types.

Pikadance14

Mudkip Kid
    Years
    • Seen Jul 25, 2010
    I went with Piplup. It was useful against the first two gyms since I couldn't use any traded-over guys until I got the second badge.

poke-ranger

Craving HeartGold!
    Years
  • I chose chimchar in platinum, only because I chose turtwig in diamond and also got a piplup early on from somewhere. Never really liked chimchar, but i'm coming around

Years
    • Seen May 25, 2009
    I always go for piplup, it's so cute ^^ But I don't like it anymore when it envolves... I should have picked chimchar. There are no good firepokemon ingame, so yesterday I had to trade one to me through GTS, maybe I should trade a turtwig too, then I have them all ^^

Years
  • I always pick a different type starter per region. In Blue, i picked Bulbasaur, in Silver i picked Cyndaquil, in Ruby i picked Mudkip, and in Pearl i started the cycle again and picked Turtwig. Fittingly, it's rather slow, but still a good Pokemon overall. I absolutely love Torterra's second type, and movepool. So convenient.

iamcube

Cube of Twinleaf
    Years
  • I actually took Piplup at level 5...left him there and went to get a Riolu egg...and Riolu basically became my starter. I left the Piplup in the Box until I beat the game.

I'm cruel. :D

poke-ranger

Craving HeartGold!
    Years
  • I actually took Piplup at level 5...left him there and went to get a Riolu egg...and Riolu basically became my starter. I left the Piplup in the Box until I beat the game.

I'm cruel. :D

That is a but cruel! but riolu is a cool pokemon!

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2010
    I choose chimchar because I feel using him..and he's one of my fave pokemon..

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
    Years
    • Age 8
    • +
    • Seen Sep 15, 2020
    Well I was thinking of starting over in Platinum with a Turtwig or Piplup. I turned out to just keep on going where I am at and I have my starter Chimchar.

Back