• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Which pokemon would prefer to keep from evolving?

rom hunter

tongue-tied
Years
  • If you have to choose a pokemon in your team that you would never evolve who would it be?
    In my case, it would be Scyther as I prefer it in unevolved state since it has speed advantage over Scizor and doesn't have bad stats either.

Khoshi

[b]とてもかわいい![/b]
    Years
  • Mawile.

I mean, before X/Y I would've been all up in Game Freak's business for leaving it without an evolution but by the time I saw a glimpse of Mega Mawile and its stats/ability...well it turned into the opposite.

Its Mega is good enough on its own to need an evolution, in my personal opinion. Mega Mawile is absolutely DEVASTATING in both in game and competitive play, and I'm content with what they've done to give the thing a boost. Maybe it's a bit too much of a boost.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    Spheal for sure. I also wouldn't use it on my team, but I think the first evolution is by far the best.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    Definitely Vulpix. Ninetales' great, and could be very viable competitively, but nothing could ever live up to the adorableness of this one. n_n" Aside from that, Shinx would be a good choice, too, and perhaps even Mareep.

Years
  • Quilava! Typhlosion is an awesome Pokemon and powerful foo, but I prefer Quilava's design. It's final form was a bit of a let down concept-wise, especially because of how much I adored Quilava. Back in the day, when I first evolved him and saw Typhlosion, I researched ways to undo evolution, haha.

Sirfetch’d

For me it would be Squirtle! That little guy has always been special to me and is just too cute to evolve haha. I would definitely be OK with it never evolving!

Years
  • If I had an East Sea Shellos I'd never let it evolve haha, it's just so adorable in that form :) Don't get me wrong Gastrodon's an amazing Pokémon, one of my best in Diamond in fact but it just can't compete with the cuteness of Shellos lol :)

Apollo

怖がらないで
    Years
    • Seen Jul 22, 2017
    I don't know, haha. I prefer to fully-evolve all my Pokemon. I guess Bellsprout would be my answer? This is purely based on design, as I don't find its evolved forms appealing. ^^;;

Years
  • If counting Mega Evos., then Garchomp. Despite how much more powerful and bulky it gets, I'm not too fond of the Speed drop. I like my land shark to be somewhat speedy 8|

If not counting Mega Evos., Porygon2. imo, it's much better than Porygon-Z if you give it an Eviolite (it's already bulkier, so the addition of the Eviolite helps a lot). It also has an adequate base Special Attack, and though it doesn't compare to its evolution's, it's still pretty good. And it has access to Recover, so restoring HP isn't too big a problem.

Firox

eepz, come help pwease!
    Years
  • I always have the same problem with Dewott & Mienfoo. I love Samurott & Mienshao - but at the same time I love the pre-evolved versions a lot more (mainly Dewott). I'm always stuck with the painful heartbreaking decision of evolution or not.

Sometimes I do evolve them - sometimes I don't. Depends on the game I'm playing.

Years
  • Scyther is the first Pokémon which comes to my mind here, though it's not related to its stats but only to its design. I always though Scyther looked pretty cool and I don't like Scizor at all. I also wouldn't mind if the Unova starters would stay at their second stages for the same reason (I don't hate their final forms though).

The Void

hiiiii
    Years
  • Pikachu! He's technically more powerful than Raichu when properly EV trained with Light Ball. Plus he loses his cuteness when he evolves. I understand Ash's Pikachu :(

antemortem

rest after tomorrow
    Years
  • I like Magneton a lot more than Magnezone design wise, and I would also keep Sneasel because it's so adorable and reminds me of Harrison and he was cool as well as that whole anime arc.

Elicoor

Elicoor
    Years
  • Onix hands down. I always loved it since Ash's first gym battle. I was so excited when I found out there was to be an evolution when generation two came out. I was horribly disappointed by Steelix. I think it is mainly the face... Onix looks just awesome and I use one in my party now and then because it is one of my favorites. Steelix just has a dumb looking face... :(
    Onix all the way for me!!

rom hunter

tongue-tied
    Years
  • Scyther (2) , Mawile, Spheal, Vulpix, Shinx, Togetic, Quilava, Squirtle (2), Shellos, Porygon2, Dewott, Meinfoo, Scyther, Pikachu, Pichu, Onix... These many so far... Hope I haven't missed any. Scyther & Squirtle have scored two votes each and are leading the party. Somebody has even mentioned Magikarp to express his sense of humor.

@Yato IMO it won't be fair considering mega evolutions as the pokemon undergoing mega evolution is already in its last evolution form. Also mega evolution and evolution are two different things. I, too, like Garchamop but it is the final evolution.

Years
  • There aren't too many Pokemon that I can think of that I wouldn't evolve- at least as far as the games are concerned. Even if I don't care for how they look as much, they're not quite as useful in their earlier stages.

If it were a real life scenario though, I'd love to have a Growlithe with me. It'd be more like a pet/traveling companion than a Pokemon that I'd actually use to battle, but if it showed no desire to evolve (much like Ash's Pikachu), I'd more than happily keep it as a Growlithe.

Back