• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Survey: Which ROM Base do you prefer?

ROM Base?

• Total voters
Years
    • Seen Sep 29, 2011
    I like the pokemon heartgold and sliver soul tiles .... its abit better in looks :)

looneyman1

The Psycho Pokemon
    Years
    • he/him
    • Seen today
    I like emerald better, and honestly it's suprising I don't see enough ROM HAcks using emerald as a base especially to remake the original Red/Blue considering how similar the Hoenn Map is to the Kanto Map. One can easilly make a Red/Blue remake using emerald and end up having the benefit of a few extra towns along the way and with it also better locations for the legendary birds and so on. Plus Emerald as a base for a Red/Blue remake works even better with the emerald version's berry system, what with the EV berries. Emerald's breeding system takes a lot of the headaches out of getting the right pokemon with the right moves and stats as well. We already have a 4th gen phys/special split for 3rd gen hacks thanks to DoesntKnowHowToPlay, I'm suprised more people don't take it a step further to enable the emerald berries and emerald breeding mechanics to the older GBA titles if they don't try a R/S/Fr/Lg hack on the emerald engine.

One can even add touches of the anime to a Fire Red/Leaf Green built on Emerald without making it explicitly an anime rom hack either, since the Winstrate's Macho Brace is very much similar to the training tool AJ used on his Sandshrew to name an example so one can turn the Winstrate's house into AJ's gym. Dewford Town is in the right place to put Cinnibar Island. Fortree City is around the right spot for Cerulean City and Mt. Chimney can be moved to Cinnibar Island to work the island's need for a volcano. And another anime touch would be how the Battle Frontier was in Kanto in the anime but each facility as scattered across the land akin to each gym. Other towns not seen in the original games can be made up to mirror some of the towns from a few of the Kanto saga's filler episodes which can end up being important like dealing with Snorlax for example. And honestly the concept of Grandpa Canyon in the episode Attack of the Prehistoric Pokemon was a very nice and logical idea considering that fossils are best found in places like that.

Despite these parallels I have seen no one try to take this idea and put it to work. I'd do this myself in fact if I knew how to do anything related to rom hacking and modding. I hope someone is inspired by what I said however, while I can't do any coding or whatever ideas are something I can offer and that can be just as vital.

cscof

pretty coolish guy
    Years
  • i personally like the graphics in r/s/e better than any other advance generation game, and as far as gen 4/5/6, ive never seen a hack of those

looneyman1

The Psycho Pokemon
    Years
    • he/him
    • Seen today
    i personally like the graphics in r/s/e better than any other advance generation game, and as far as gen 4/5/6, ive never seen a hack of those

There are a few hacks of black/white I've seen here and there but due to how the games were made I wouldn't reccomend playing a black/white rom hack without a good computer. I tried playing a plain White ROM on mine and it lagged like hell. It might be the player I used I dunno. I couldn't find any DS emulators other than desmune.

Years
    • Seen Apr 18, 2015
    I think I prefer Fire red. I tried using ruby, but it was a little unfamiliar and I went back right away XD

cscof

pretty coolish guy
    Years
  • There are a few hacks of black/white I've seen here and there but due to how the games were made I wouldn't reccomend playing a black/white rom hack without a good computer. I tried playing a plain White ROM on mine and it lagged like hell. It might be the player I used I dunno. I couldn't find any DS emulators other than desmune.

DS' must pack a lot of computational power into those little cases eh? I'm pretty sure Nintendo throws some strings of code in there to prevent newer games from being pirated, maybe that's one of them

Back