• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Which saga or region of the anime did you like the best and why?

• Kanto

Votes: 38 29.0%
  • Orange Islands

Votes: 6 4.6%
  • Johto

Votes: 20 15.3%
  • Hoenn

Votes: 32 24.4%
  • Kanto Battle Frontier

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • Sinnoh

Votes: 17 13.0%
  • Unova

Votes: 9 6.9%

• Total voters

Clacla

karp karp karp
    Years
    • Age 25
    • Seen Mar 15, 2017
    Kanto , Orange Islands and Johto were the true golden days of Pokemon.

Hoenn was ok but it suck, May and Max characters weren't as good as Misty and Brock, Torkoal and Glalie weren't really that strong on Ash's Hoenn team,he left all of his good old Pokemon behind for bland ****** new ones. Sinnoh was so damn terrible to begin with Cynthia was just there for fanservice and the rest of the saga was nothing like Pokemon at all. Unova brought a much better rival for Ash which is Trip,the BW series is more better then i thought it feel like the old days of Pokemon it have a Kanto like feel to it.

I agree with this, the first few series up to Hoenn were awesome, but after that, I lost interest. The storyline feels too repetitive.

Years
    I like Sinnoh and Unova. Yeah, I like the newer stuff.

Kanto/Orange Islands/Johto didn't get my interest, maybe I just don't like Misty compared to the other girls.

Also, I missed most of Hoenn.

Years
    • Seen Jan 15, 2017
    I agree with this, the first few series up to Hoenn were awesome, but after that, I lost interest. The storyline feels too repetitive.

Hoenn was ok but not all that good and this is were the show become a trainwreck because of May and Max.

Sinnoh was pretty damn retarded and made Pokemon suck. Unova have improved the show a lot better.

Kanto was really pure classic and the original 150 Pokemon were the best,Misty rule over May and Dawn because she had spice.

Johto was were pokemon was still at it's best because Misty was still on the show and the episodes still had the classic feel to them.

Years
    I'm surprise that a few people like the Sinnoh series more even though it wasn't that great of a series.
    (Yes I know that he is booted out already, but just to anyone else who calls ____ the worst series.)

Really now? What makes any of the series better than Sinnoh?

If you say no wacky-plots, you're putting down everything but Kanto.
    If you say because main rival Paul was an ass, you're putting down Kanto because Gary was certainly an ass.
    If you say there were too many fillers, HELLO JOHTO.
    If you say you didn't like the contest plots, there goes Hoenn!

There's honestly no way to say one series is worse than the other. You can hold your favorites up high, but no, by saying Sinnoh is the worst any reason you give will put down another series. Oh, don't say it's because Girl #X was better than Girl #Y, because that means pretty much nothing. There are literally the same amount of people who agree Girl_ is a creative saint who is a joy to watch, and people who agree that the same Girl_ is a nasty **** who's boring as hell. I don't trust anyone's opinions about the girls because it seem no one can look at them unbiasedly.

Now on to WHY I like Sinnoh the best.
    There certainly were not too many fillers, I stopped watching during Johto because it had so many fillers their own fillers started to repeat themselves instead of one a season. The fillers were usually pretty high quality and super entertaining.
    There was a good balance between contests and pokemon training! It's good to have a dual focus and the contests were pretty imaginative! The fact that Dawn and Ash learned from each other's dreams is pretty amazing.

Also A++ for character development and good characters. Usually it's
    "This guy is bad! He was mean to his pokemon! Let's flamethrow his face while we laugh!"
    but Ash actually had to DEFEND his choices against Paul, who was certainly not evil, and in the end came to respect their differences. Respect. Having to respect people different than you and having to struggle to prove your believes by actions, rather than just 'I'm the good guy so I'm right'. That's good.

All the rivals were pretty amazing, for both Dawn and Ash as well, I did well with some continuity. The villains were amazingly scary, and TR kinda took a lot of breaks to show us more of their fun sides.

Years
    • Seen Jan 15, 2017
    (Yes I know that he is booted out already, but just to anyone else who calls ____ the worst series.)

Really now? What makes any of the series better than Sinnoh?

If you say no wacky-plots, you're putting down everything but Kanto.
    If you say because main rival Paul was an ass, you're putting down Kanto because Gary was certainly an ass.
    If you say there were too many fillers, HELLO JOHTO.
    If you say you didn't like the contest plots, there goes Hoenn!

There's honestly no way to say one series is worse than the other. You can hold your favorites up high, but no, by saying Sinnoh is the worst any reason you give will put down another series. Oh, don't say it's because Girl #X was better than Girl #Y, because that means pretty much nothing. There are literally the same amount of people who agree Girl_ is a creative saint who is a joy to watch, and people who agree that the same Girl_ is a nasty **** who's boring as hell. I don't trust anyone's opinions about the girls because it seem no one can look at them unbiasedly.

Now on to WHY I like Sinnoh the best.
    There certainly were not too many fillers, I stopped watching during Johto because it had so many fillers their own fillers started to repeat themselves instead of one a season. The fillers were usually pretty high quality and super entertaining.
    There was a good balance between contests and pokemon training! It's good to have a dual focus and the contests were pretty imaginative! The fact that Dawn and Ash learned from each other's dreams is pretty amazing.

Also A++ for character development and good characters. Usually it's
    "This guy is bad! He was mean to his pokemon! Let's flamethrow his face while we laugh!"
    but Ash actually had to DEFEND his choices against Paul, who was certainly not evil, and in the end came to respect their differences. Respect. Having to respect people different than you and having to struggle to prove your believes by actions, rather than just 'I'm the good guy so I'm right'. That's good.

All the rivals were pretty amazing, for both Dawn and Ash as well, I did well with some continuity. The villains were amazingly scary, and TR kinda took a lot of breaks to show us more of their fun sides.

Well it depend on the opinions of fans which series is good are bad. Paul wasn't really a bad ass in anyway and he didn't really standout that much as being a better rival,he did keep Ash on his feets that was the only good thing Paul did right. Sinnoh could have been much better if they did not made it so darn serious and the Team Galactic plot wasn't all that good,Team Rocket were more bland boring then ever before.

Kanto wins because it was original aspect of Pokemon plus Gary was a bad to the max type of rival since he was original,it was the first series that started it all.

Johto was pure gold and it had some of the coolest episodes to date,Gary was still cool and at his peak,the show was still at it's best doing this saga.

Last edited:
    Years
    Well it depend on the opinions of fans which series is good are bad. Paul wasn't really a bad ass in anyway and he didn't really standout that much as being a better rival,he did keep Ash on his feets that was the only good thing Paul did right. Sinnoh could have been much better if they did not made it so darn serious and the Team Galactic plot wasn't all that good,Team Rocket were more bland boring then ever before.

Kanto wins because it was original aspect of Pokemon plus Gary was a bad to the max type of rival since he was original,it was the first series that started it all.

Johto was pure gold and it had some of the coolest episodes to date,Gary was still cool and at his peak,the show was still at it's best doing this saga.

How was Paul not a badass? How did he not standout? He was the first character of questionable morals who was not treated like a villain, crushes Ash literally until the end of the season, and had Ash fight for him to even be considered a worthy opponent. There's a reason that discussions for the best rival are Gary vs. Paul. He's either #1 or #2, and you can't say that with all the rivals for this to happen he doesn't "stand out".

Sinnoh could have been much better if they did not made it so darn serious

There were plenty of funny things in this season. Just because we can have serious plots doesn't mean that the series is devoid of funny.

If plots are interesting or TR's passiveness is boring to you, that I can just take as your own personal opinion. The others, however, seem like you're just trying to hate the season in whole just because you like something better.

Nothing 'wins' because it's the original. It comes with a warm fuzzy feeling called 'nostalgia', and that doesn't make it better. If you're measuring 'badass' with skill, Gary didn't even make it that far into the Indigo league, he didn't even get beaten by his rival. He just flat out lost. Again, being the original isn't the best.

I'm sure I can't change your opinion of the Gold of Johto being a repeating stretch until they could get to Hoenn, not even thinking about the fact every one I knew who didn't like Hoenn was because they didn't know anything about Hoenn or if it even existed meaning they would have had to have LEFT DURING JOHTO, but okay. A new president gets elected and stuff goes wrong, it's obviously that president's fault, not the previous one's stuff finally coming into action. Clearly: There was some type of dissatisfaction going on before Hoenn even started for everyone to jump off their pokemon so vehemently. Because it didn't happen after Hoenn started. They were gone when we got there.

Charicific

PkMn Trainer
    Years
    Hmmm...this Lornami dude is goooood.... O_o

Yeah I think exactly the same but I can't really execute it as well as he did. I did say it before and I will say it before, Sinnoh was definitely my best. I still can't find a rigid reason why Kanto was better than it. To be honest, I use to be an old schooler as well. Kanto was my first season and I watched it since I was a kid...however, I try my best to avoid being Naive when criticizing shows, and by that, I can see the true amazingness of all the Pokemon series. I just loved them all, Hoenn and Sinnoh especially, I just loved the new taste they had over the previous one. Changing characters every season as well was probably the best thing to happen. Eventhough I loved Kanto/Johto and Misty...they grew boring later on. I was always anticipating the moment Misty would leave so I can finally meet May...and I was really satisfied. So yeah, objectively speaking, a character like Misty doesn't make the whole show for me.

Team Rocket as well were simply amazing in every season they starred in. In Sinnoh especially, they were as funny as ever. Team Galactic had a very well executed plot if you ask me, I don't see why it wasn't. They thought well, captured their legendary and it came to a final decent resolution just like previous Organizations. In fact Team Galactic tend to be more aggressive and smarter.

But to wrap this up, the best thing I found in Sinnoh..was Ash himself. Probably that's the best Ash you're gonna see skill-wise. Furthermore, the Sinnoh League was outrageous and included pretty cool and climactic battles (Other Leagues did as well...)

Years
    • Seen Jan 15, 2017
    How was Paul not a badass? How did he not standout? He was the first character of questionable morals who was not treated like a villain, crushes Ash literally until the end of the season, and had Ash fight for him to even be considered a worthy opponent. There's a reason that discussions for the best rival are Gary vs. Paul. He's either #1 or #2, and you can't say that with all the rivals for this to happen he doesn't "stand out".

There were plenty of funny things in this season. Just because we can have serious plots doesn't mean that the series is devoid of funny.

If plots are interesting or TR's passiveness is boring to you, that I can just take as your own personal opinion. The others, however, seem like you're just trying to hate the season in whole just because you like something better.

Nothing 'wins' because it's the original. It comes with a warm fuzzy feeling called 'nostalgia', and that doesn't make it better. If you're measuring 'badass' with skill, Gary didn't even make it that far into the Indigo league, he didn't even get beaten by his rival. He just flat out lost. Again, being the original isn't the best.

I'm sure I can't change your opinion of the Gold of Johto being a repeating stretch until they could get to Hoenn, not even thinking about the fact every one I knew who didn't like Hoenn was because they didn't know anything about Hoenn or if it even existed meaning they would have had to have LEFT DURING JOHTO, but okay. A new president gets elected and stuff goes wrong, it's obviously that president's fault, not the previous one's stuff finally coming into action. Clearly: There was some type of dissatisfaction going on before Hoenn even started for everyone to jump off their pokemon so vehemently. Because it didn't happen after Hoenn started. They were gone when we got there.
    Well Paul was never made out to be a badass, even his character had a lot of flaws about it? Sinnoh was made out too be way to serious with out hardly any good funny moments in this season all together. You do have a right to your own opinions and i respect you for that. Team Rocket were more annoying then ever before then they were at being funny. Team Galactic plots could have been much better handled,but their finale arc was a joke?

The Sinnoh League could have been much better but it was non epic and it was not on the same level the Kanto,Orange Islands and Johto leagues were at because they were epic,even the Hoenn league was good but it was way too overused.

The Original Kanto will always be the best, it made Pokemon what it is today and the episodes in season 1 were really a true classic,the original series will always win and be the best.

People didn't like Hoenn because it wasn't as good as the OS and a lot of people were getting out of Pokemon doing the AG series,May was not as good as Misty was she was ok but not that great, a lot of people were also mad when Misty left the show,but they did have a right to be made, i was also made when Misty left the OS Pokemon haven't been the same without her are even Brock for that matter,but DP ruin his character so he had to leave the show.

Years
    I know, I know, it's our opinions, but if we're going to go back and forth the least you could do give me concrete examples or counterpoints to the examples I bring up instead of just saying baseless things, repeating. What specific moments in the series makes you believe that Paul was not made out to be a badass? What moments did the creators ever try to make Gary out to be a badass? What exactly makes Sinnoh 'not epic' in comparison to the other series?

I've given specific reasons why I assert differently, and that's about all I can do at the moment. So I'm probably done.

Shinnou 4 lyfe

Years
    • Seen Jan 15, 2017
    I know, I know, it's our opinions, but if we're going to go back and forth the least you could do give me concrete examples or counterpoints to the examples I bring up instead of just saying baseless things, repeating. What specific moments in the series makes you believe that Paul was not made out to be a badass? What moments did the creators ever try to make Gary out to be a badass? What exactly makes Sinnoh 'not epic' in comparison to the other series?

I've given specific reasons why I assert differently, and that's about all I can do at the moment. So I'm probably done.

Shinnou 4 lyfe

Paul being mean to his pokemon does not make him a badass,even Trip is cooler then him. Gary had a badass personality that made him really cool and he wasn't mean to his pokemon either.

Sinnoh had a terrible start but it was good doing the eary part,this saga was way too serious and the plots were not as good like they should have been with Team Galactic. The Sinnoh League was way too short and the rest of Ash's old pokemon didn't get the chance to battle and that is another reason why Sinnoh was non-epic. Try to bring up better stuff you say instead of saying pointless things and repeating the samething over and over again.

Huggie

Mewtwo lover :3
    Years
    I'm between Kanto and Johto because they remind me my six year old self jumping on the bed and fighting against an imaginary trainer...Picked Kanto though...

Years
    I'd have to go with Johto. While the original series will always be nostalgic goodness to me, I just enjoyed a lot about the Johto saga, the theme songs were always kickass, whenever it wanted to, it would show really cool and diverse geography, some of the characters were pretty cool and it had a few mini-arcs that were enjoyable.

Nomine

サトセレ
    Years
    I loved the Kanto saga. The original will always "be the best like no one ever was," and will have a special place in my heart. Gotta' catch 'em all!

Guest123_x1

I liked the Kanto/Indigo saga the best, for Ash's immaturity (as this was the very start of his journey), many of the gags were funnier, and the journey was accomplished in fewer episodes than Johto and later arcs.

infersaime

Come and get me
    Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen May 21, 2024
    Hard choice I liked them all except for Unova, Unova isn't bad but I didn't liked it as much.
    I say Kanto battle frontier.

Years
    • Seen Jan 15, 2017
    Kanto was the best series of Pokemon ... Hoenn wasn't that great like Johto was and Hoenn ruin Team Rocket character and Sinnoh only made Team Rocket more worser then before, Unova did improve Team Rocket a little bit more but they were still nothing like the old Kanto Team Rocket and the old classic Team Rocket were true badasses.

Turn-it

Coordinator/Elite Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Dec 4, 2012
    I went with Sinnoh. It's the most recent that I remember. It was pretty good but I do believe that there are better. I want to see the Unova next though.

Years
    • Seen Sep 4, 2013
    On this poll I voted for just Hoenn ages ago but I'm seriously regretting not voting Unova, it has grown on me tremendously since I voted but all the series are great and it is difficult to choose really.

Kanto was great because it represented how most new trainers would start out, just catching Pokemon and trying their best no matter what even if it means you don't win the badges the really way as long as you do your best and love your Pokemon then you can go far. This was also the funniest series I can always go back and watch them to cheer me up.

Orange Islands was probably my most least favourite because it was nearly all fillers and the fillers were boring so when I do rewatch it I just go to gyms and captures. But it was an intresting series because of Gyms were and was alot more relaxed, like a holiday as they were in a holiday destination.

Johto was good as it made Ash become a much better trainers and learn that to succeed you do have to help others and they'll help you back, but this was also just lots of fillers and when i rewatch it I just do Gyms and captures.

Hoenn was great as the region was exciting, lots of new exciting Pokemon and rivals were a much bigger thing here. It became serious which I liked and the contests were an interesting introduction which I think they handled well. It was good to see Ash trying to start again and learn from the mistakes he made in Kanto. It was also cool to see four people instead of three and to see Max learning and being taught by experienced trainers instead of having to mistake after mistake.

Kanto Battle Frontier was nice to see some older Pokemon reintroduced like Phanphy but because Ash managed to win it quite easily despite coming up against legendarys at both the start and finish just sorta made it less important in his journey.

Sinnoh was great as Ash had Paul who was an established trainer and not just another newbie to contest against. I did like how Dawn had to fail before picking herself back up unlike May who sorta just went from strength to strength straight away despite not even wanting to be a co-ordinator. But Brock was boring in this series which ruined it for me a bit. It was also nice to see Ash not having to fully restart as Aipom had quite an important role in the beginning of Ash's journey. It also had the best conferences with some great battling which you can't fault.

Now Unova did scare me at first as I didn't know with new companions, new pokemon and a complete lack of understanding of how things work there but it has definately become one of my favouritest series. Ash has become a proper trainer again by getting a range of Pokemon to pick and choose and use regularly, his companions have a much more important role and Trip is a decent rival who likes to process things and learn the basics just how I imagine Max would. Also the Don Battles are great and having a larger cast of rivals for each companion is fun to see how each one has a different personality and how they raise Pokemon. But mostly it is funny, the anime hasn't been very funny since Kanto except for a few moments and that's what I love about Unova. It got rid of a few boring things like Brock and contests but still kept it all serious but added humor. I love it. It also gave me the chance to ship snulbasaur which is cool as well.

But yeah Hoenn and Unova are my faves. I just wish Ash wasn't such a noob in Unova.

Back