• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen which should i start with

Frostweaver

Ancient + Prehistoric
Years
  • for easiest ingame play it would be Mudkip...

remember to keep restarting the game until your starter is female. This way you can breed it with other pokemon so you can get duplicate starters (for trade or breeding egg moves, etc)

Years
  • armaldo said:
    who should i start with on pokemon ruby ?

I did a smart thing for my game. Ok. You pick whatever poke'mon you like. Be it Torchic, Mudkip, or Treeko, and you get it. Then, you trade it to your friend's game, and restart your game. Then you get a different poke'mon, but not the same as you picked before. Then, trade that poke'mon to your friend's game. Restart your game. Then, get the last one, and send it to your friend. Now restart your game. Do this until BOTH you and your friend have all the starter poke'mon. Then have your friend trade you the poke'mon you want. ex: Treeko, Mudkip, and Torchic. Now you have ALL THREE starter poke'mon. You don't have to choose now! You will be ahead of everyone, and the best part is, they all are yours!

Rift

Let's Venture Onward!
    Years
  • yes, thats the easiest way to get all three (unlees of course you have gameshark!!) well Mudkip is probably the best starter for Ruby because its water and its a prize for your first four gym battles! it takes out Roxanne, pummels Brawly, if you have Marshtomp than Watsons Pokemon can hardly even hit ya, and Flannerys fire Pokemon will fall to your water power! ^_^;

Mikoudi

Gameboy Helper
    Years
  • The one that gets the most stats when reached highest lvl (lvl100) is Torchic (a.k.a combusken, blazekin(sp?)) but it has low hp, Mudkip gets the high hp and Groyvle gets high defence.

Iveechan

based on a paperclip
    Years
  • Actually, Grovyle has the lowest defense of the bunch. Ok...

Treecko: best at special attack and speed, learns leaf blade naturally (if you let it evolve), can inherit dragon claw (tm or from salamence) and crunch (salamence or seviper, who learns it earlier). Low defense/hp and so-so attack. beware of wallace's ice beaming milotic in the final gym.
    good early partners: wingull, makuhita, electrike

Torchic: best at special and physical attack, if evolved learns double kick, bulk up, and sky uppercut naturally, blaziken learns EQ from a tm, and can inherit rock slide (from camerupt). Unless you're crazy enough to hold off torchic's evolving until level 49, you need to teach it flamethrower with a tm/breeding. low-ish HP and defenses.
    good early partners: breloom, aron, electrike

Mudkip: best against most of the gyms, evo's are part ground, if evolved learns EQ naturally, learns ice beam via tm, the only "bad" stat is speed. Has only one weakness when evolved: grass. most say it's the best starter, but all are good. when fighting flannery use ground move mud shot, for sunny day will weaken any water move.
    good early partners: breloom, taillow, electrike (i discovered you can beat the whole game using only swampert and breloom)

Hope that gives a clearish idea...

Last edited:

DragonTrainer

Shiver me timbers!
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Mar 8, 2012
    I suggest torchic, because it is extremely useful against Norman, and other gym leaders

Mudkip is also a decent choice

Frostweaver

Ancient + Prehistoric
    Years
  • Stinger said:
    Anything but Treeko. I still haven't found a decent strategy for him

what's wrong with Treecko?

EV: speed/one of the 2 def and sp.att
    -dragon claw
    -crunch
    -leaf blade
    -rest
    @chesto/leftovers

armaldo

a pokemon trainer
    Years
  • treecko is good

ive beat the game(ruby) with treecko hes really good once you know how to use him you should try it right now i have a torchic

AnimatedSora

...Following the Light...
    Years
  • I started out with Torchic for my first and I did along just fine....I think you should choose Torchic considering it kicks butt.Lol

Sleek

Eon Trainer
    Years
  • i know i may sound like an idiot, but just choose the pokemon u like the best. screw stats. personally, i found treeko looks the koolest, im a bit of a pyro, so i chose torchic, and i dont like mudkip. do it like that. and if u dont care about if u hate ur pokemon, then just do enee meenie minee mo.

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen Dec 9, 2003
    I have them all. I love them all. I have MANY multiples of them all. But in terms of play here's my take. Torchic(Combusken/Blaziken) is the easiest to level and easiest to beat the game with. This game is EASY for fighters and Fire types too. Mudkip(Marshtomp/Swampert) is relatively easy(it was my first choice) and resonably good late game. Treecko(Grovyle/Sceptile) is my personal fave, but is also the toughest to level in my opinion. So if you just want to fly through, pick Blaziken and trade for the others later.

Frostweaver

Ancient + Prehistoric
    Years
  • one way to solve all problems in terms of starter's difficulty:

LEVEL THEM UP. make sure that your starter is female so you can breed. Ignore personality for now. Build a temporate starter that will get you through the game. Level it up without rare candy or any tms. When it's at lvl 100, breed it for a TRUE starter with the personality of your choice (with all necessary egg moves you need). Then do the EV training method for your new true starter and this new baby will have supreme stats in comparison to his/her parent.

if your starter isn't "strong enough" and is losing in the game, the best way is to train more and level them up. It's real fun to see Sceptile survive overheat with green health ^_^;;

Back