• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Which starter did you choose?

Morgnarok

PokéCommunity Supporter - Platinum Tier
    Years
    As the title says can't get no simpler.

I my self started with a Turtwig and later on got Chimchar and Piplup

Years
    I started with Chimchar. Ended the game with Infernape in 57 Lv. Later I had chosen Chimchar again, evolved him to Monferno and used him as HM slave.

Surmonter

Hear No Evil
    Years
    I chose Piplup. I usually just shut my eyes and hit the arrow keys at random for about a minute then pick the one I land on. I like all the starters of this region equally.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    Diamond: all 3 starters (in separate playthroughs of course; current is Turtwig)
    Pearl: Chimchar
    Platinum: Piplup (first game, lost), Turtwig (current game)

Melinda

[b][i][color=#fff]#teamsonia[/color][/i][/b]
    Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2022
    Piplup! :]<3 I mostly choose Piplup every time I restart my Pokemon Pearl. When Piplup gets boring I pick Chimchar.

Years
    • Seen Jan 23, 2011
    Turtwig.
    I wasn't overly keen on the starters in this gen. I kinda wish I'd chose Piplup, though. Ahh well.

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    Piplup on my very first playthrough of both games.

I've used them all, but this time round in Diamond, I chose Chimchar due to lack of good fire/fighting-types, then got a Piplup egg because I couldn't find a decent natured Buizel and traded mine away for a Chatot in-game.

On Platinum, I tend to be swayed towards Turtwig, mainly as Magmortar, Gallade, Houndoom among others are available due to the expansion

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Dec 28, 2012
    Ever since the artworks were released. Piplup got me. Isn't it lovely? xD;

Years
    I normally as a habit pick the Water Starter. In this case, I followed that habit, however the next playthrough I picked Chimchar. Due to a lack of fire pokemon to begin with... Then third playthrough I picked Turtwig, and on my fourth and final play, I used Turtwig again as he had my favourite final evolution... I don't know why, I just felt I liked his the best.

Years
    • Seen Aug 28, 2010
    I picked Chimchar the first time I played. It ended up a big mistake, so I ended up trading it on the GTS for a Piplup after I had already evolved it twice. xD

Years
    • Seen Jul 16, 2011
    During my first playthrough that I got bored of, I chose Chimchar. However, for reason just said, I simply traded all the Pokemon I wanted to keep to my Brother, and then restarted my Pearl. I chose Turtwig, whom I absolutely adore, and there we go. Now it's a wonderful Torterra named Tiny for the lulz.

Back