• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Which starter did you choose?

Years
On my first run of RSE (I have all 3 games lol) I chose Mudkip (Ruby) and Treecko (Sapphire and Emerald). Wasn't a big fan of Torchic (I only ever chose it once during all my replays)

For FRLG (I, once again, had both games. FR got destroyed after being lost for around a year and me finding it again stuck in the ground in my yard). I know I chose Bulbasaur in LG and I'm pretty positive I chose Squirtle in FR (I'm not a big fan of fire starters except cyndaquil).

Pothus

The Necromancer
Years
In my early years of playing the series I've always picked the fire type Pokemon (Torchic and Charmander). Lately I decided to broaden my options and pick others. In my most recent play through I picked Squirtle.

Years
When I got Sapphire (my first very own Pokémon game) my brothers told me to chose Mudkip but when I couldn't beat Brawly I restarted the game and picked Torchic (which then became my favourite starter of all time <3 )

o Pikachu o

Pikachu
Years
First time playing LeafGreen I started with Squirtle. I'm replaying it and I started off with Charmander this time. In Emerald I started with Torchic and I'm gonna restart it and use Treecko next time I play it.

Years
Blue-Squirtle Crystal-Chikorita Ruby-Mudkip (If I HAD a Gen IV game, I'd pick Turtwig, hands down) Black-Tepig. What ever I thought looked best, really. But MAN, Mudkip's evolutions are ugly!

Years
  • Seen Nov 4, 2012
Treecko, Bulbasaur and Mudkip.

Treecko in Sapphire
Bulbasaur in Fire Red
Mudkip in Emerald

I remember it had a Hasty Nature. However I didn't care for it properly like I should have. Didn't have a good team in Sapphire, so I thought I might start with a different one, and since Fire starters are usually the most popular, I thought I might give Mudkip a chance. Have a stronger connection with it than Treecko, but there will always be that something special about Treecko.

Bulbasaur, well everyone loved Charizard/Charmander. I didn't want to be like everyone else, and Squirtle just didn't interest me as little Bulbasaur! Just got more of a cute factor from it, plus being first pokemon registered in a National Dex is pretty cool too.
Loved my Bulb/Ivy/Venusaur that much that it's in my dream team along with Cyndaquil/Quilava/Typhlosion, my first ever starter.

TheAmazingTaco

Crazy Cardboard Box Hobo
Years
Lol in Sapphire, I chose Mudkip for my starter. Swampert is BEAST!
Emerald I chose Torchic. Love that whole evolution chain~
And in Fire Red I chose Charmander. c: Charmander's whole evolution chain is awesome! <3

Years
  • Seen Sep 28, 2012
Mudkip, and Bulbasaur. I actually loved that Mudkip, so I was so sad when my save got accidentally deleted. Now I can't choose a Mudkip ever again.... :'(

Years
Charmander/Treecko. I like Bulba/Ivysaur more than Charmander/Meleon, but I always found Charizard to be the coolest. Treecko... I fell in love with that Pokemon when I first saw it, and when it evolved into Grovyle I was so happy... he was so cool.

I never had Ruby, my sister did; she would let me reset all the time as long as I didn't save, but as a kid I had so much fun with it. So one day I had extra time with it and got to evolve Treecko and boy was I happy. I kept asking to save, but I couldn't. Eventually I got it, though: one Christmas I was doing the same thing again while my sister opened up a present. This present was Sapphire version. As soon as I realized, I pressed start, save, and A.... She was mad at me, but I finally got Ruby. :') Good times.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Oct 11, 2012
I usually go with the water starters because their base form designs appeal to me the most, but I have made an exception a couple of times. Ironically, the fire starters evolutions are usually my favorites. I feel guilty for not liking the grass(okay, why aren't they called "Plant" type? It makes way more sense) starters since I feel grass is an extremely underrated type.

I kinda wish there were more games like Yellow where I could use all 3 starters, but that would defeat the purpose of making a tough choice and cheapen the special bond you're encouraged to have with your starter.

Anyway, I chose Mudkip in Emerald and Squirtle in FireRed.

Rainbow Arcanine

now known as aslan
Years
I picked Torchic, the little blazing bird. To tell you the truth, in Emerald I thought Steven was still the champion and so chose this little guy. But even though it turned out Wallace was, he was still my favourite starter of all time.

I haven't played FR/LG, so I don't own any Kanto Starters. I'd probably pick the cute squirtle, since generally I choose water starters :P.

Back