• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Which starter did you choose?

Which starters did you choose?

• Total voters

Palamon

Silence is Purple
Years
  • In Diamond I chose Turtwig for my love of Grass-types.
    In Pearl I chose Chimchar to make the game harder.
    In Platinum I chose Piplup. I chose Piplup that I way I had all three starters chosen.

In HeartGold I chose Chickorita because I love Grass-types.
    In SoulSilver I chose Totodile because I would never think to choose it.

Years
    • Seen Jan 9, 2012
    Turtwig, first time I played, I wasn't very sure of what I was doing and just kept pressing "A"
    But I don't regret it, Turtwig is awesome,and so is Torterra, I have tried others later too, but I only liked Chimchar and family though

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
  • As much as I like Johto and HGSS, I don't really care for any of the starters. I played chose Cyndaquil and Totodile when playing through Gold version all those years ago (go away Chikorita and come back when you're not a Grass type) but went for Cyndaquil when push came to shove when playing SoulSilver. I figured I was going to get a super-cool-awesome Lapras in Union Cave (which I did) rendering a Feraligatr a less ideal option.

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
    Years
  • In Diamond, I chose Turtwig, because... I don't remember. I think I had a reason, I just can't remember it.
    In HeartGold I chose Cyndaquil, because it's one of my favorite Pokemon.

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    SoulSilver: Chikorita as I'd already chosen Totodile in Silver and Cyndaquil in Crystal. It was boxed not long after passing Whitney.

Infernal_Storm

Blazing Hero
    Years
    • Seen Jan 11, 2012
    These two generations have my least favourite starters of any generation, so it didn't really matter because I'd stop using the starters before the first gym when I got my Bellsprout, Mareep and Onix combination.

HotaruSobotka

PENS BACK TO BACK CHAMPIONS!
    Years
  • Platinum- Piplup, 'cause I knew once I got the game, I'd name it Sidney (after Pittsburgh Penguins captain Sidney Crosby)

SS- Cyndaquill, which I named Jonathan (after another NHL player I like... Jonathan Toews). I had a ROM of Crystal and decided to continue the Cynda' raising in that game.

Otherworld9)

Bard of Rage
    Years
  • In Sinnoh, I tend to mostly choose Piplup due to ending with a Steel/Water typing. Rarely do I get Chimchar, and I haven't ever chosen Turtwig as of yet.

As for the Johto games, I tend to choose Cyndaquil most of the time. However, I also can choose Totodile. Both are very useful, and I like both of their final forms and stats. I have used Chikorita once, but never will again.

Minishcap

Fecaloma
    Years
    • Seen Sep 4, 2012
    In Diamond: Turtwig. I was hoping he'd evolve into Donatello.
    In HeartGold: Totodile.

Haru

Wolf Simp
    Years
    • Seen Mar 21, 2023
    Furthest back i can remember i picked Totodile in crystal.

and i think turtwig in diamond

miltankRancher

Mega Ampharos is the one.
    Years
  • In DPPt, I first used Chimchar, but I already had many playthroughs so it is really safe to say I have started off with tehe three of them. In HGSS however, I picked Totodile once. It is my only playthrough (currently running), because that would mean that my rival would choose Chikorita which is a Grass-type and weak to bug types. And I am doing a monotype bug type challenge. Life's more easy that way.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • In Diamond, I played with all 3 starters in separate playthroughs (the current save has Torterra). In Pearl, I chose Chimchar and in Platinum, I chose Piplup, then Turtwig after losing the one with Piplup/Empoleon in it.

In HG, I chose Totodile and in SS, I chose Cyndaquil.

Ciax

Ledian Used Starlight!
    Years
  • Piplup and Totodile because water is the best type and all that stuff. hehehe
    I always choose the water type, no exceptions

Years
    • Seen Aug 8, 2013
    I'm with Ciax. The waters always seem to prevail in strength so I tend to choose them.

Melinda

[b][i][color=#fff]#teamsonia[/color][/i][/b]
    Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2022
    I just restarted another Platinum game and I chose Piplup this time. :)

Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jun 29, 2019
    On Diamond I chose Torterra and obtained Infernape and Empoleon later on, on Platinum I went with Infernape while on Heart Gold and Soul Silver I went with Totodile and Cyndaquil respectively.

Challenger

The Challenger
    Years
    • Seen Jan 15, 2012
    Chimchar in D/P/P and Totodile in SS/HG. I go for the easy choice :3

Back