• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Which starter will you choose?

Which starter will you choose?

• Rowlet

Votes: 111 42.0%
  • Litten

Votes: 93 35.2%
  • Popplio

Votes: 60 22.7%

• Total voters

kingdenas

#Team Popplio <3
Years
  • I loved all the starts for this new generation, but I have to admit, I fell in love with Popplio.
    I'm a super fan of water-type Pokémon, and I've always picked the water starter in every generation, so .... I think this one wouldn't be different... Plus, popplio is a sea lion, and I love sea lions. I know ... it has that circus theme on it, but still .... it is super cute <3

MirraJade

Kimono Girl
    Years
  • I'm surprised by the love for Rowlet I was sure Litten would take first spot that being said I am team Rowlet I love owls

Years
  • I'm surprised by the love for Rowlet I was sure Litten would take first spot that being said I am team Rowlet I love owls

People seem to favour cute over cool, and Rowlet's round shape already gives it a plus for being cute. Couple that with his leafy bow tie and being the first dual-typed base starter since Bulbasaur and you have what is the fan favorite starter of Generation 7. However, when the evolutions get revealed that could all change who the favorite really is.

Perriechu

i make this look easy tik-tik boom like gasoline-y
    Years
  • Popplio for Moon and Rowlet for Sun.

I'll probably choose Litten when I inevitably start a new game on one of them.

Azire

Mr. Premier Ball
    Years
    • Seen Dec 25, 2016
    Can I hate all three? I mean, WTF is this!? Each Generation has one I like based off looks alone. Before playing I tend to look at final evolutions to see which looks the best. Let's face it, any starter can get you through the games with minimal/no help. I mean I even played Gen I picking Charmander and beat the first two gyms, (and the rest), with him alone. Elite Four? How about Epic Charizard?

As of right now, I feel this is probably the weakest Gen for starters. Not a single one I like. I will have to see their final evolutions.

Solar Snivy

#TeamRowlet
    Years
  • Can I hate all three? I mean, WTF is this!? Each Generation has one I like based off looks alone. Before playing I tend to look at final evolutions to see which looks the best. Let's face it, any starter can get you through the games with minimal/no help. I mean I even played Gen I picking Charmander and beat the first two gyms, (and the rest), with him alone. Elite Four? How about Epic Charizard?

As of right now, I feel this is probably the weakest Gen for starters. Not a single one I like. I will have to see their final evolutions.

I see this every generation. Some people will always hate all the pokemon in the beginning. If we're going to submit the weakest starter trio based on first stages designs alone, I'd submit the bland and mostly not very colorful Kalos starter trio. I like them all, but they just aren't as appealing as some of the other starters.

Honestly, even though by looks they aren't my favorite, I think these are the most thought out starters in existence, with each one being based on a real animal that's also endangered.

Rowlet isn't the most colorful grass-type ever, but he has a pleasing, round appearance fitting of a young, first stage pokemon. He also has grass elements: his bowtie and the leaffeathers on his wings. He also has the cute quirk of turning his head around to receive orders in battle, and sending leaves hurtling forward when he swipes his wing.

Litten is currently my least favorite, but he has a simple yet creative design that somehow comes off as bright and colorful even though the majority of his fur is black. At first I didn't like the fur tufts on his face, but his design would be a lot blander without them. He also has a quirk that seems almost obvious and brings up many cute scenarios - his furballs that light on fire.

Popplio was my least favorite to start with, but now he's grown on me with his bright colors and body shape that is somehow sleek and clumsy/dorky at the same time. His party hat nose is nice looking also, at the additional artwork for him gives off the idea of a fun, quirky pokemon who loves to clown around and playfully show off.

Sorry for the length, but I'm getting sick with people trashing them and I just had to defend them.

Years
  • Can I hate all three? I mean, WTF is this!? Each Generation has one I like based off looks alone. Before playing I tend to look at final evolutions to see which looks the best. Let's face it, any starter can get you through the games with minimal/no help. I mean I even played Gen I picking Charmander and beat the first two gyms, (and the rest), with him alone. Elite Four? How about Epic Charizard?

Like SolarSnivy said, every generation may have what people view as the "weakest" starters although you have to admit that the Alola starters are more thought-out compared to previous starters, since Rowlet, Litten and Popplio are all based on an endangered animal - the Pueo owl, Iriomote cat and Hawaiian monk seal respectively.

My personal least fave starters are actually Kanto's but I guess it's because they're all reptilian and not as diverse as the other trios, but I can still understand the fan appeal. I know you want to wait for the fully-evolved stages of the Alola starters but we likely won't get them revealed until after the games are released so maybe when you see the middle stages (which I guess could be revealed in September or October) it could give you a better idea of which one you may end up liking since I'm sure one starter will grow on you and end up becoming your fave after all.

Diarkia124

The Jack Master
    Years
  • I'm definitely going with Rowlet when I first get the game. Really like all the fan art and fan gifs of the Pokemon which has me choosing grass for the fourth generation in a row. But it'll probably have the lamest final-evo of the three because that's usually what happens :/

Azire

Mr. Premier Ball
    Years
    • Seen Dec 25, 2016
    See I'm the opposite here, I really thought the Kalos starters looked great, until their final evolutions came along, all of which were garbage imo.

The fact that they are based on real animals has nothing to do with it imo. Most Pokémon aren't, I don't see it being significant. The fact that the real animals are endangered is even less of a concern, Biology has taught me many things and the "Endangered List" isn't really significant. Most animals can be considered such or could be put on the list very soon.

I'm sorry, reality doesn't have to factor in to my fantasy, usually I would prefer that it didn't. This is one of those times. I play Pokémon to have fun, I go to school to learn about Biology, what is endangered and what isn't.

Years
  • I Love rowlets look but i will choose popplio. I always take water-type since i Was child. I really hate popplios look but i will pick him anyway because im loyal to water-types :)

Years
  • Wow, I didn't think Popplio would be last Q_Q (I'm choosing that one as well)

Well, people know Popplio isn't as cute as Rowlet or as cool as Litten so they view Popplio as the oddball and therefore barely gets any love, hence why Popplio Defense Squad became a thing.

JustSander

It's good to dream, isn't it?
    Years
  • I'm going with Litten! It's just too cute! ^.^ Also in ORAS I chose Mudkip and in XY I chose Chespin. So it's time to choose a fire-type starter!

I'm officially #TeamLitten now!

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jul 9, 2016
    For the play through of the game, it's a an easy one for me...all three. The question is which will be best competitively?

Years
  • I'm torn between Rowlet and Popplio. I've picked Oshawott and Froakie in Gens V and VI respectively, so Popplio seems like the right pick for me, especially since it seems to be the least favorite among the starter trio like the last two were at first, but at the same time Rowlet really catches my eye as well and it'd be nice to pick a Grass starter since the last time I chose one as my main starter was Treecko in Emerald.

MegaKuriboh

Yare Yare Daze
    Years
  • From the first stages, I'm torn between Rowlet and Litten. I love cats and recently I have been gaining a good amount of love for birds. But my friend also loves birds so we might rival it and I'll take Litten. However, if that leak happens to be true, I might just get Popplio because holy wow that is a cool design, I also really like that Rowlet evolution, and the Litten one is okay but it's definitely not what I wanted Litten to become. It might grow on me though, or they could all just be fake anyways. Still loving these starters, Game Freak rarely disappoint when it comes to them.

blue

gucci
    Years
  • Litten for Moon and Rowlet for Sun.

Litten is one of those starter Pokemon that I immediately just fell in love with, similarly to Fennekin. I'm hoping their evolutions don't disappoint but regardless I'll still most probably choose Litten on my first playthrough. 8)

Years
  • So with the rumored final evos leak going around I'll say that I'm still picking Popplio. The concept of a siren (aka a mermaid-like mythical creature) fits so well with the rumored Water/Fairy typing and learning Disarming Voice and it looks so majestic.

Rowlet is still my second fave in light of the rumor given I like the supposed archer concept, while Litten seems to be the one I don't like as much, presumably because it's likely continuing the bipedal Fire starter evolution trend.

Back