• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Which starters did you pick?

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    Which starter have you selected in D/P/Pt, and which did you choose in HG/SS? Are there any reasons behind choosing them? In Diamond, I chose Chimchar; personally, I found it to be the cutest-looking of all three. I went with Piplup in Pearl, and in Platinum, I chose Turtwig. In HeartGold and SoulSilver, I picked Cyndaquil and Totodile, respectively. If I had ever started a new game in either of these two, would've chosen Chikorita. d:

Glameow

Purrrfect~
    Years
  • In Pearl, I used a Turtwig. A very reliable and heavy hitter. In Platinum, I changed it up to Piplup, because i wanted to use Roserade and not double up on types I went for nostalga in Soul Silver and went with Cyndaquil like in my original Silver!

BasedNate

ImDaBes
    Years
  • I chose Piplup in Pearl because I freaking love Empoleon. From the show, he's like a king who doesn't give a s**t about pain lmao and I love his design. This guy is a total badass.

In Heartgold, I chose Cyndaquil because Typhlosion. 'Nuff said.

Years
  • I went with Chimchar in Sinnoh and Cyndaquil in Johto, mainly due to me liking their designs. This makes 4th Gen one of the rare cases in which I don't take the Water starter, I do like Piplup but Chimchar suits me more because my Chinese Zodiac sign is the monkey, while Totodile line is my least fave Water starter in general.

This was the generation that Fire totally won me over in I guess.

Years
  • I don't really care for any of the Johto starters, but I picked Cyndaquil in HeartGold since I knew there weren't many Fire types to be found in Johto, at least early on. I felt much the same way about the Sinnoh starters, but went with Piplup in Platinum, since my previous two starters were Fire (Cyndaquil) and Grass (Bulbasaur in FR). I had no idea that it would eventually evolve into a Water/Steel type though, and Empoleon actually became one of my favorite starters I've ever used.

Gigabeat

Professionals and all.
    Years
  • In DPPT, I went with Turtwig solely for the design, and went with Chikorita in HGSS. For in game use, I always go with whatever Pokemon looks the best to me, because all the starters are able to clear the game rather easily. And I try not to pick fire types, because I've been using them for so long. :P

classiccartoonsftw

Nintendo is for awesome people
    Years
    • Seen Jan 18, 2017
    In my first run of Pokemon Diamond, I chose Piplup, because it's super cute and I regularly pick the water starter in my first run of a generation. In later runs of the fourth generation, I picked Chimchar because of the lack of good fire types in the Sinnoh dex.

Dusk White

Terra's Protege
    Years
    • Seen Apr 3, 2014
    In sinnoh i picked piplup and gotten chimchar from a friend. In heartgold I picked totodile and restarted and gotten cyndaquil.

Years
  • D/P/Pt: Piplup! Just couldn't resist the cuteness of that little water penguin. Chimchar and Turtwig never really appealed much to me either. :(

HG/SS: Chikorita for my first run because she is way, way cute. Meganium was tough to use since so many gym leaders resist grass in Johto but I never regretted my decision.

Years
  • In Platinum, I chose Chimchar. I tried Piplup, but didn't go very far with him; Turtwig never appealed to me. I ended up loving Infernape, though.

In HearGold/SoulSilver I went back and forth. I started first with Cyndaquil, who I had used in Crystal, but I eventually switched to Totodile, after adding Growlithe to my team.

Svien

The cool guy
    Years
  • In Diamond I chose Turtwig, but got Chimchar by trading. In Soul Silver I chose Totodile. Later in the game I also chose Squirtle and Treecko (I prefer Torchic, but got it from Emerald)

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
    Years
  • I went with Piplup originally in Pokemon Diamond. It looked really cute and by the end f the game I had a bad ass level 70-something king penguin that would drill peck and ice beam and surf my enemies to death, haha. In Heart Gold I think I chose Cyndaquil despite being somewhat attached to Totodile since it was my first ever Pokemon. I suppose I just wanted a change. No wait, now that I think about it I think I used all three starters in my team...I'm not too sure nymore haha! What I do know for a fact is that I used Cyndaquil which evolved in a beast of a Typhlosion. 8)

Years
  • Since I restarted my games a lot previously, I'm only going to be saying the ones that I had when I first played the games.

In Pokemon Diamond, I chose Turtwig. I don't really know why I did that, but it was a pretty good Pokemon to use actually. When I look back in the past, I really didn't know how to use Torterra since it was really slow (I'm a fan of really fast Pokemon) but it could take a hit whenever it needed to. It has to be my second favorite Sinnoh starter since it's just so adorable and I chose it on my first journey of Pokemon Diamond.

In Pokemon Pearl, I used Chimchar, since I thought it was really cute. I also didn't want to use Turtwig again since I already had one from Pokemon Diamond! I was very pleased with Chimchar and it's evolution line, they were all fast, and not to mention one of the only Fire Types that you could get in the game. Fire Types are also one of my favorites, next to the new Fairy Type.

In Pokemon Platinum, I went for Chimchar, again. I really like him before so I wanted to use him again, and I didn't care if I had two of them now. Piplup never really fascinated me at all. It was just not eye catching enough for me.

Now we head onto the Johto remakes. My starter in Pokemon Heart-Gold was Totodile. At this point, I knew a lot more about Pokemon. I knew that Feraligatr could take out a lot of Pokemon, and I had also used it in Pokemon Silver before so I was familiar with it. I didn't make a mistake using this Pokemon, and I've used every time I have reset the game.

Pokemon Soul-Silver however, I used Cyndaquil. It is by far my favorite Johto starter to date. There's not a lot to say about it, but it can wreck a lot of stuff, and it's a Fire Type so I had to pick it. :)

Apollo

怖がらないで
    Years
    • Seen Jul 22, 2017
    I've used all three starters from Sinnoh and Johto. They all have their own ups and downs, but overall they're still good starters to, umm, start with.

During my first run on Pokemon Diamond, I think I used Piplup. And on my SoulSilver playthrough, I started with Cyndaquil (or Totodile. Woe is me for not remembering things.)

Puddle

Mission Complete✔
    Years
  • In Diamond I've used both Empoleon and Infernape. I love Penguins so Empoleon was definitely my favorite. In Hg/SS I've only used Totodile because I heard he's the easiest and I've still been too lazy to finish the game.

Years
  • I've used them all, but in my first playthrough of Pearl I used a Turtwig, since I had seen Torterra and was excited by the similarities it bore with Venusaur (in that it was a quadruped with a plant/tree growing out of its back). I anticipated its secondary Ground typing too, so that paid off nicely.

In HeartGold, I went with Cyndaqul first time around, because Gold Version was the first for me to properly play, and I had used a Cyndaquil. Very much a nostalgia trip for me.

Dragon

lover of milotics
    Years
  • Hm, when I've played Pokémon Pearl for the first time, I chose Turtwig as my starter pokemon. I thought it was a pretty cute pokemon, and its defense was pretty good! As it evolved, yes, it became a little bit on the slow side, but, it's defense more than make up for that anyway. Gym battles weren't that bad when I used it either! Things became a little tricky over at the Snowpoint gym though, because Torterra is 4x weak to Ice type moves, and so, I had to use a little bit of strategy, but no problem. In the end, it was pretty effective against Cynthia's Garchomp as it took its. I took a while to beat her, but, success! When I played Pokémon Platinum more and more, I used Chimchar more often. That was around when I started to like pokemon like Gastrodon, Roserade, and Togekiss, in which, I don't really like out have pokemon of the same type in my team, so, Chimchar was a pretty good pick for that! It wasn't too bad either; it was way fast, and pretty powerful when It evolved to Infernape!

When I was playing Pokémon HeartGold for the first time, I just stuck to my traditional method - I chose Cyndaquil as my starter, because that was my favourite starter to use back when I've played Pokémon Gold or Pokémon Crystal. Again, nothing much changes, except for the addition of some moves like Rollout which was handy against Lance's Charizard or some other Flying/Fire type! It's flamethrower is super powerful in that game too, when it evolved to Typhlosion.. I dunno how, since I didn't remember Typhlosion being that fast and that strong in Pokémon Gold, but hot dog, who was I to complain! <3 Over all, it's still a wonderful pokemon, and fit well on the team I had planned (Lapras, Scizor, Golem etc, etc).

Back