• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Which to get OR or AS?

Years
    • Seen Feb 11, 2016
    Ive just been playing on Pokémon Y and I'm going to buy either Omega Ruby or Alpha Sapphire but I don't which version to get. I would like to know what you think is best, also getting which copy will allow to get the most pokemon for my pokedex via pokemon y and either the 2 newer games

Thanks

Minun172

Still waiting for a new Mega Man game.
    Years
    You know, I don't even know why it was necessary for Gamefreak to release a Pokemon game twice with a slightly altered Pokedex for those two versions as well as their catch rate for specific Pokemon.

Personally, I would recommend looking up the Bulbapedia, finding whatever Pokemon you want to catch and see if they are easier to catch in Omega or Alpha. Or you can compare the Pokedex together and see which one is better. That's what I do. If Minun is easier to find in one version, I would go with that version. Just go with whatever version you feel is best for you. Even if you want to just go with the more popular one (Usually it's the red coded ones on the covers or the version on the left when you see it on shelves with all of the versions. Dunno why.)

Laguna

Sir Zangoose
    Years
    • Age 25
    • Seen Aug 31, 2016
    I'd say, just get either one. Getting the other version's exclusives is pretty easy with the GTS and all that, and you'll be getting pretty much the same amount of pokémon if you trade over from X/Y.

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
    Years
    Yea, I'd say go for either one, since it's pretty easy to get any of the version exclusives via trading these days. My usual method when buying a Pokémon game is to get the opposite version from the one I see most of my friends getting. But really, either one should be fine.

Here's a list of version exclusives though, for reference: https://www.serebii.net/omegarubyalphasapphire/exclusives.shtml

Years
    • Seen Feb 11, 2016
    Cheers Guys which copies do you all have as I can get the other and trade if you would like

Laguna

Sir Zangoose
    Years
    • Age 25
    • Seen Aug 31, 2016
    You should probably visit the Trade Center board if you want to trade with other PC members, but just to answer your question, I have Alpha Sapphire, and I'd be happy to help with trading. Just ask me for my FC if you want to trade something and we'll work something out, okay?

Sirenita55

Team Popplio!
    Years
    • Seen Aug 9, 2018
    I tend to make my decision based on the version exclusive legendary. Then again, you could always trade for the other anyway :)

Years
    • Seen Feb 21, 2016
    Im buying myself OR because i would love a groudon. But then again I like Kyogre too so I guess I have to trade with someone in the future. Oh well I wish they will make something like Emerald :D.

Years
    Like the others said, it won't matter which of the two you get. I'd mainly choose which version I play based on version exclusives I liked better (for me in this case, it was Alpha Sapphire) and the Trade Corner section regulars are always happy to trade any version exclusives or other Pokemon that are lacking from your game, especially given you can literally complete the entire Pokedex just by trading between all four 6th Gen main series games.

Years
    • Seen Nov 28, 2021
    You can get all exclusive mons by trade. I have both, and prefer OR because Maxie is more menacing. I call him Mads Mikkelsen because I feel like he's modelled after him.

Dedenne1

[SPAN="FONT-SIZE:16.5PX; FONT-FAMILY: SATISFY; TEX
    Years
    not much of a difference to be honest you just gotta ask what megas you wanna get first (but you can get them later) what legend you want and what team do you wanna fight. Do you wanna fight in an underwater temple or a volcano? What version exclusive pokemon do you want? Basically think of these and youll get a good idea but theres really not a large noticeable difference between the 2.

Years
    What's your view on the Trinity? Missingno., Misdreavus or 'M?

...Do you have a violet or crimson aura?

Anyway, the Pokémon in Alpha Sapphire tend to be more passive, but frequently more subtle and poisonous, etc., while the Pokémon in OR tend to be more straightforwardly offensive, as the name might suggest. If you have a bias towards fire-types, such as Charizard, then you might want that one, otherwise not quite. If you have a bias against them, go with the one where you catch Kyogre. That's one of the main differences between games, and any particular differences in the progression, so figure it out from there in terms of which you'll be playing. If you particularly want both a Sawk and a Throh, then you can trade, but that might be weird.

Back